Goal of the Year Finalists

MLS has announced the five finalists for 2008 goal of the year. Watch, enjoy, vote.

Blanco at DCU:

Cepero vs. Columbus:

Johnson vs. Dallas:

Rogers vs. New York:

Cameron vs. Dallas (first clip only):

The official voting will begin Thursday at the league's web site.

By Steve Goff  |  November 12, 2008; 5:45 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: FIFA and Terps
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Cepero: Fluke. Turf assisted.
Blanco: Can't vote for anything that victimizes DC.
Cameron: Loose ball, Bad defending
Johnson: I could have voted for this one. It was a close second

And my vote goes to
Rogers: solo effort, nice dribbling, long distance strike to the far post. Best of the lot.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 12, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Two thoughts...

1. The messed up thing about the Blanco goal was that it wouldn't have been scored if Wells was in proper position. No way, if the ball is around the 18, that Wells should be OUTSIDE of his own 6. That being said, it was a nice shot.

2. There were, like, 14 DCU goal nominations in the first round of voting. There were more than from DCU than any other team. We have NONE in the finals. What a way to end a season!

Posted by: pmtthree | November 12, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I give it to Rogers because of my nagging suspicion that Johnson was just improvising after a lousy first touch.

Posted by: fischy | November 12, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

David Bentley from inside the circle against Arsenal... goal of the year... ooops... wrong league.

Posted by: IamAM | November 12, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad that MLS didn't rig the vote to get Beckham's goal in the final five. I vote for Cepero

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | November 12, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I think this is biased. None of the Gallardo goals are up for it? Vides goal was worthy and so was Simms. Simms goal was something that someone in this league will rarely do. The League hates DC.

Posted by: TheJim1 | November 12, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

WTF?! Cameron? that goal isn't that great. Where is Gallardo's? This is dumb.

Of these I voted for Johnson.

Posted by: GoUnited | November 12, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I'll go with Johnson. Nice piece of individual skill. No way does Cepero's fluke turf bounce deserve to be in the final 5. If anyone but a goalie had scored it, it never would have come close to making it this far.

Posted by: Kenobi | November 12, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Pretty pathetic selection. Easy choice. Johnson.

Posted by: offthecrossbar | November 12, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

is gallardo a finalist?

wasn't that supposed to be finalist?

Posted by: redskinsux | November 12, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

VOTE FOR CEPERO!

CEPERO, CEPERO, CEPERO!!!!!

Let's make this as ridiculous as possible.

Posted by: redskinsux | November 12, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see the Million Dollar Donut (read-Gallardo) didn't make the list. He didn't perform for us all year, can't see why he should be rewarded.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | November 12, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

gallardo was robbed

Posted by: Konoha7 | November 12, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Should be Rogers. As a poster above said, Johnson's only looks good because of his poor first touch. A volley from that range really isn't the difficult. Look at the movement on Rogers' goal, which he hits on the run after shedding two defenders.

Posted by: SilentAlarm | November 12, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

None of them are worth voting.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | November 12, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

After each round of voting you had to vote again. You could stuff the box like crazy. Just ask Mastodon Juan who I am sure is the reason Cepero's goal is in there. Why do think he's so quite these days?... Coincidence? I doubt it;-)

I personally have to take some credit for Blanco's dagger. I was screaming you suck well within earshot when he put that one away at RFK.. The chubby kid with his back turned to the game blabbing his mouth off in front of me insisted it was my fault. I honestly have a hard time sleeping at night because of the whole incident...

I voted for Rogers.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 12, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I blame Toronto.

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo vs. RSL...hands down. Much better than any of the finalists!

Posted by: malatestiano | November 12, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet I could pick one goal from any of Goff's weekly Good, Bad, and Coyote Ugly posts that would beat out any of these. Johnson's is the best since it's a volley off the post, even if he did screw the first touch. But I voted for other.

Posted by: benonthehill | November 12, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo was robbed. The electronic voting machines are fixed. ACORN was involved, somehow, I just know it.

Seriously, fan voting is ok, but are these goals better than Gallardo's? No way.

Posted by: delantero | November 13, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

"Just ask Mastodon Juan who I am sure is the reason Cepero's goal is in there."

Oh really? No, I didn't vote for any of them. What a waste of time. But I'm surprised you guys, after stuffing the ballot box week after week, couldn't manage to get Gallaro's goal as a finalist. I suppose DC votes were diluted among the many candidates DC fans ensured were among the nominees. Backfire!

If I were to have voted, I would have voted for Gallardo's volley, which was a thing of beauty. But Cepero's freakshow goal is worthy of commemoration, even though it had nothing to do with skill or even intent.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | November 13, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Good to see MJ has resurfaced. Whether ya agree with him or not, he argues his points fairly cogently and with conviction.

That said, celebrating Cepero's admitted "freakshow" goal is nothing but a celebration of how FieldTurf can impact the game in strange and occasionally amusing ways. Not truly an endorsement of the positive side of the game.

Posted by: 22206no1 | November 13, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo's goal was so much better than these that I have a hard time voting for any of them. Cameron's goal, in particular, seems very run-of-the-mill. Out of the initial 35 nominees, I thought it was in the bottom 5.

In terms of degree of difficulty, improvisational beauty, and sheer surprise, Gallardo blew all of these away. I think the Rogers goal is the best of the lot, followed by Johnson (aside: if his first touch was indeed botched, that makes me more impressed, not less; to make a mistake and then recover with your next touch being a shot like that? Tip of the hat, my friends, not wag of the finger). However, I think I'll be voting for Cepero's goal as a form of protest. Since MLS fans couldn't find a way to vote for what was clearly the best goal of the year, shouldn't we as a group end up with the most bizarre and accidental goal in league history instead?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 13, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Bitter DCU fans are bitter.

Posted by: YNBA | November 13, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

wow, those are the five best?

Will Johnson gets my vote