Marshall Honored

Columbus center back Chad Marshall has been named MLS defender of the year, edging out Kansas City's Jimmy Conrad and Chicago's Bakary Soumare.

The list of previous winners:
2007: Michael Parkhurst - New England Revolution
2006: Bobby Boswell - D.C. United
2005: Jimmy Conrad - Kansas City Wizards
2004: Robin Fraser - Columbus Crew
2003: Carlos Bocanegra - Chicago Fire
2002: Carlos Bocanegra - Chicago Fire
2001: Jeff Agoos - San Jose Earthquakes
2000: Peter Vermes - Kansas City Wizards
1999: Robin Fraser - Los Angeles Galaxy
1998: Lubos Kubik - Chicago Fire
1997: Eddie Pope - D.C. United
1996: John Doyle - San Jose Earthquakes

By Steve Goff  |  November 6, 2008; 11:03 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: MLS Goal of the Year Semifinalists

Comments

WHAT??!!?? Peralta didn't win?

;-)

Seriously, can't argue with the selection of Chad Marshall.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 6, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how Veron feels about spurning DC United at this point. 1 in 4 shot of winning Copa Sudamericana.

Posted by: strago | November 6, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Probably something like this:

Reporter: Senor Veron, how do you feel about spurning DC United?

JSV: DC who?

Posted by: Ron16 | November 6, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

A little bummed for Soumare who will play for Mali because he won't be able to get American citizenship for at least two more years. He seemed to really want a chance to play for the US.
Good for Marshall.
I do have to say that in DCU news the return of Peralta as the anchor in defense is more troubling to me than Soehn coming back. I am crossing my fingers that he stays injury free, and consistent playing time will sharpen his decision making, and improve my comfort level when he takes the field.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 6, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Yep - and I'm sure he'd swap the 2006 Apertura title with his boyhood club for a Supporters Shield and an Open Cup

/sarcasm

Posted by: Kev29 | November 6, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Bakary Soumare and the Fire, interesting post by Jonah Freedman in his Sports Illustrated/FanNation blog:

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 6, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

A composed, strong center back who can organize a defense is worth a fortune to a team. We had some good ones in Pope, Nelsen and Petke. I hope the FO is on the lookout this offseason.

But while it's tempting to search for a big fellow who is great in the air, the fact is that United plays a number of teams each year who attack through the middle, on the ground -- that's where quickness of thought and feet are more important than brute strength. Interesting dilemma...

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 6, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Pope should have been defender of the year more than once.

I also didn't realize that Fraser went so many years between receiving the honor. That is impressive...

Posted by: yankiboy | November 6, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Chief Clancy Wiggum sure did enjoy getting drunk with the 2006 and 2005 defender of the year at the 2006 Commissioner's Party down in Dallas.

Good times.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 6, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | November 6, 2008 12:33 PM
------------------------------------------

I'll second that...

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 6, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Dagger! Where's Ryan Nelson in that list?

Posted by: Matte | November 6, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse