Matchnight: Fire-Revs

The two-game, total-goals series is level entering tonight's final leg at Toyota Park. If necessary, a full 30 minutes of overtime and penalty kicks.

TV coverage begins at 8:30 p.m. on ESPN2.

I am not in Bridgeview, but am hoping to attend the Eastern Conference final next week.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame comments are welcome here tonight. Enjoy!

By Steve Goff  |  November 6, 2008; 7:15 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cuban Update
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

ESPN must be expecting a lot of non-soccer fans tonight. Why else would those two have to explain that the game doesn't stop for timeouts?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 6, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Note to MLS defenses. Mark Chris Rolfe.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 6, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it feels like watching an MLS game from the 90s. Unfortunately, while the production values have gone up some, we still get the same low-level camera work. What was up with the montage of Revs defenders when the ball was at the other end of the field and none of them had made a significant contribution in the past few minutes? Why not show the crowd? Or, crazy idea here, the game itself?

Anyway, the Revs are in very deep trouble now. Their forwards seem disinterested, Castro just isn't very good, and Nyassi is being contained well by Segares. Where are goals going to come from? While we'll probably see Thompson come in whenever Nicol tires of seeing Castro make no difference from the run of play and waste all their set pieces, I don't see him doing too much either. Nicol's going to have to get really creative here, unless they can actually do something on a dead ball early in the 2nd half.

One idea might be to push Igwe up to left midfield and move Castro inside (since they're getting nowhere on the wings). Go to the 3412 that the Revs are better suited to playing, and hope for the best. The odds are long that it'll work, but they seem less long to me than sticking with what is obviously not working and hasn't since Superliga.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 6, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

My hatred for Blanco has always blinded me to the fact that he is a great play maker. His passes are almost always accurate. He reminds me of a couple of former Washington greats: Johan Croyf (I'm dating myself) and Marco Etcheverry. I still hate Blanco; he's nasty but I'm fooling myself if I say he sucks. Please don't tell anybody but Blanco is fun to watch...you just love to hate him.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | November 6, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Dude, where can we get some backs that score goals when it counts? Chicago's got it going on back there man.
Can we trade one of our Gonzalos for theirs? Trade G-Mart for Conde? Dyachenko for Rolfe?
Ahh just daydreaming at night again, don't mind me:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 6, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

This is one of the most boring playoffs ever!

Posted by: TheJim1 | November 7, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Great piece in the New York Times (sorry Goff) on the efforts of Hank Paulson's kid to secure city help to build the stadium he'll need to turn the Timbers into an MLS franchise. Not a soccer guy, but seems a shrewd businessman.

Posted by: fischy | November 7, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

That seemed about right. The Revs simply had nothing to offer. They were on life support when Conde made it 2-0, and Nyassi's bungling of what should have been a 1v1 with Busch (but turned into an ill-advised backheel to an unprepared and marked Mansally) was the end of the game.

I'm not overly impressed with Chicago, but they did finish the chances that fell to them and you can't blame them for New England playing poorly and lacking its key players. They'll have a much more difficult time with either Columbus or Kansas City. Frankly, I'd be surprised to see Chicago knock off Columbus, and I do think KC is capable of at least pushing the Fire to penalties (especially if Harrington can slow Rolfe down).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 7, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

So without their star striker, starting center mid and a defender, the Revs go out with a whimper . . .

Add 3 or 4 more injuries and you'd have DC United from July to October.

Posted by: delantero | November 7, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Givign credit where it's due: It was a good crowd for a weeknight game in the suburbs. I think Harksey or JP said 28K.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 7, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Sorry 18K. I usually don't correct typos, but that one was pretty bad.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 7, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse