MLS Cup Memories

By Steve Goff  |  November 21, 2008; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Expansion Update
Next: Estudiantes Advances

Comments

That was an easy one for me...

Posted by: Reignking | November 21, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

George Mason hosts Penn in the 1st round of the NCAA men's tournament tonight at 7. Winner plays the Terps at College Park on Tuesday:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 21, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

A more direct link to the soccer polls is http://www.twiigs.com/recent/Sports/260000

To me, 1997 was the most memorable. A sold out RFK, my youngest son and I in 436 just under the overhang, still wearing our ponchos just in case the wind shifted.

Good thing, since they shielded us from the beer showers that accompanied the end of the match.

Now that I'm older and, having joined La Barra Brava, wiser, beer showers no longer seem like something from which I need to shield myself :-)

Unfortunately, we had quite a drought this last season. Hopefully the beer monsoons will return when DC United returns to glory next year.

Posted by: seahawkdad | November 21, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

As of now, 40% of you are wrong. 2 goal comeback in a Nor'easter to force overtime. Eddie Pope for the winner. There is no choice.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 21, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

1997 was good too. More rain. More Marco. Loud, loud RFK.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 21, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Also voted for "other" - meaning the '97 monsoon match. Which I actually watched live on Channel 5 in the UK.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 21, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"I in 436 just under the overhang, still wearing our ponchos just in case the wind shifted."

I was right near you. Remember me? I was the guy cheering.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 21, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

The first title is always the best. My best memory is the 1996 MLS Cup in the cold, raining night in Foxbourough. I drove from MD to the stadium. And it was the best trip going and coming. Cheering and honking the car horns everytime we saw a MD,DC, and VA car tag.

I hope we can have another memorable tittle run soon. It's been four years already!

Posted by: hardcoco | November 21, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

No contest for me. I was there at Foxboro, cold and drenched from the rain thinking "I came all the way here for this!" Then came the come back and I could care less about the cold and rain.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | November 21, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

If anything other than '96 wins, it's a traveshamockery.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | November 21, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but nothing beats winning the trophy in your own house with 57,000 strong singing "DC - DC - DC".

It still sends chills down my spine. It was one of the few times in my life that a soccer game in the USA felt like the numerous matches I've been to in England, Scotland and Germany.

It's easy for me. 1997 all the way.

Posted by: ARickey | November 21, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

DCU v Colorado all the way. "Other" for me.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | November 21, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

i wasn't a soccer fan in 1996, so i missed that apparently epic battle...

however, i remember in 2004 a wonderstrike by jose burciaga jr., followed by a fantastic retort from alecko (i miss brian carroll!), followed by alecko's sad handball on the way to a great finish (sullied a great finish), an own-goal, bad sportsmanship by dema, and some overall bad officiating (mls REALLY needs fully-professional referees). hell, watching the replay on youtube makes me wish earnie stewart were still playing for dc united.

Posted by: dfunkt | November 21, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

'97 was tough for me, but "most memorable" for the same reasons. I was a young whelp living in the suburbs of Denver, and I was so distraught over the loss (or the win, I suppose, since I'm a DC supporter now) that I cried under my bed for an hour. Then I went to an Avs game. Glory days, for sure.

Marcus Hahnemann needs to bring back the backwards cap at Reading.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | November 21, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I-270, not to mention that it was the inaugural title, too.

Posted by: Reignking | November 21, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I was at both 96 and 97/ 96 was better. No comparison: neutral field PACKED with DC fans in horrible weather conditions. Winning after being behind by 2 with little time left... Driving back and each stop filled with DCUnited fans. Running into other DC fans the night before in downtown Boston.

Posted by: juanma_carr | November 21, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

joel_M_Lane - bbrrr bring your long undies :)

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | November 21, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse