MLS Goal of the Year Semifinalists

The candidates have been trimmed to 10: Gallardo, W. Johnson, Rogers, Angel, Beckham, McManus, Cepero, Arnaud, Blanco and Cameron.

Watch the videos, cast your vote and come back here to discuss your choice.

By Steve Goff  |  November 6, 2008; 2:15 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marshall Honored
Next: Cuban Update

Comments

I voted for El Muneco. There actually were some great goals in there this year. No really great goals off an extended run of play however, which I always enjoy. I guess the closest to that was the Houston goal. The JPA goal was a fantastic piece of individual skill. But at the end of the day, Gallardo's strike is pure class for degree of difficulty, aesthetic appeal, and making the keeper look silly.

BTW, most of the video was short, real speed, and not repeated. I noticed that Becks' goal was repeated in slo-mo. Galazy consipracy theorists, here's your chance to chime in ...

Posted by: Matte | November 6, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Rogers, for two reasons:

- great shooting technique, and beat 3 players to do it
- it was against New York

Posted by: joedoc | November 6, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Take the Chicago approach -- vote early and often.

Posted by: 22206no1 | November 6, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I voted 3 different ways. Gallardo because it was a cool goal, but it looks better than it was because the 'keeper was basically out of the picture -- the reason I didn't vote for Beckham's. I think Johnson's goal was the best display of skill, so I gave one vote there. And, it was tough to decide among the long-range shots -- McManus, Arnaud and Rogers were all good, but I went for McManus because it was the such a quick strike, with little set-up.

Between those three, it's hard to say. There's no standout goal this year.

Posted by: fischy | November 6, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo - cool goal yes.. goal of the year? no way....

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | November 6, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

That's just it -- there isn't any "goal of the year"...

Posted by: fischy | November 6, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Let me guess - Beckham.

Posted by: mmathai1 | November 6, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I think it's interesting that four of the ten goals were scored by four different Designated Players.

What this tells us, I'm not sure, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | November 6, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

This is off topic but check out Obama's link to West Ham: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=589743&sec=england&cc=5901 Maybe you will get a chance to do a White House interview on the Pres-elect's interest in "real" football!!

Posted by: agoldhammer | November 6, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Wonder how these replicas will sell - if they had replicas. I sense an advertising opportunity.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 6, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I didn't vote for GOTY. The requirement to register was clearly voter intimidation.

Did you see that clip where Barret made a 60 yard run upfield, expecting a centering pass to go in 1-on-1 with the keeper? The pass never came and Chad was left hanging.

Groan

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 6, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

None of the goals seem to be GOTY worthy..
I dunno just alot of long shots and volleys. if I didnt feel to lazy to register my life story to MLS I would vote Gallardo, just to give it to a DC player.

Long shots and volleys can go either way..in or out..I dont think skill was much of a factor..they just took a shot..

Like De Rosarios goal sometime ago..NOW that was a goal..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 6, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I've always felt the best goals were because of the teamwork and passing that lead up to the classy finish. Not too many to choose from this year.

Gallardo's is by far the best display of skill. The angle is outrageous and a defender is closing in.

One touch, out of the air, at that distance and speed of the ball!!! Fantastic!

And yes, the goalie was screened, but he wouldn't have saved it in a million years.

Posted by: delantero | November 6, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Robbie Rogers gets my vote. He broke through 3 defenders and then hit a 35 yard burner at pace.

Posted by: TomR143 | November 6, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Not a single Donavan goal? I mean a lot were pens but he didn't even rate one?

Posted by: Shanoni | November 6, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Donovan had one in the last round of voting.
You gotta show up at the polls if you want your vote count...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 6, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse