Monday Kickaround

*The USA women lost in the Under-17 World Cup final in New Zealand, falling to North Korea 2-1 in overtime. Dear Leader rejoices.

*The NCAA women's sweet 16 is all but set with both Virginia and James Madison advancing.

*Maryland and George Mason won the ACC and CAA men's titles respectively and will await the unveiling of the NCAA tournament brackets (22 automatic, 26 at-large) this evening at 5:30 p.m. on ESPNews and the NCAA Web site. The final Soccer America men's top 10: 1. Wake Forest (18-1-1); 2. Creighton (14-1-2); 3. Maryland (18-3-0); 4. Akron (16-1-4); 5. South Florida (14-4-2); 6. Tulsa (15-3-3); 7. UC Irvine (14-1-6); 8. Michigan State (13-5-1); 9. St. John's (16-2-3);10. Loyola, Md. (18-1-1).

*Charity match today in Morocco pitting Ronaldo's squad against Zidane's (1 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel).

Velez Sarsfield 3, Boca Juniors 2:

By Steve Goff  |  November 17, 2008; 9:56 AM ET
Categories:  Argentina , College Soccer , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Roster Announced
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

Maybe Wake Forest is not quite as good as I thought. I am still amazed (though pretty happy) they lost to UVA in the ACCs.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 17, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

That title was there for the taking after Wake lost to UVa. Congratulations to the Terps. Hopefully they can take that momentum into the NCAA tournament.

Posted by: sitruc | November 17, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

William and Mary is on the bubble in terms of an at-large bid; Georgetown would be a real stretch.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 17, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

North Korea girls/women are reigning U17 and U20 world title holders. I guess at least some kids in that forsaken place are getting enough to eat. I wonder how much of New Zealand they got to see over the last month. 16,000+ attendance for the final.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 17, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

It's interesting that the North Koreans don't seem to have had much of a problem with defectors to date. A bunch of them are in Chile right now for the U20 tournament, but I don't expect anything to happen. I wonder what the attitude of the Chilean government would be if it did.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 17, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Would the Korean gov't pursue would-be defectors and / or harm their family members back home? I'd think that Korea would take a harder, more aggressive line on this than Cuba does....I don't see Cuba having the energy or conviction to chase down defectors, at least not any more.

Posted by: 22206no1 | November 17, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Chile, it has just come to my attention that the USA's opener against France will be shown live on BSPN2 on Wednesday afternoon.

I don't suppose there is much of a Korean community in Chile. That works against would-be defectors.

Also, with regard to the NCAA men, it is a 48-team field. Thus, getting one of the top 16 seeds is especially important, because those teams get a first-round bye, as well as home-field advantage in the second round. Virginia looks like a good candidate for the top 16.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 17, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Well, you wouldn't expect a large Japanese community in Peru, either, but there is...

Posted by: Reignking | November 17, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

But Japanese-Peru defections work the other way, i.e. from Peru to Japan. :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 17, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Two pretty big upsets for the JMU women to get to the sweet 16! Think it may end against Portland but quite a story.

So...did everyone see this article in USA this morning? Kinda goes along with some other recent pictures!

Posted by: Beckster1 | November 17, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I found this.

Koreans in Chile formed Latin America's sixth-largest Korean diaspora community as of 2005, according to the statistics of South Korea's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Between 1997 and 2005, the Korean population of Chile grew by one-quarter, from 1,470 to 1,858 individuals, surpassing in size the community of Koreans in Peru.[1]

Posted by: Reignking | November 17, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"Dear Leader rejoices" Why would Obama be happy with a US loss?

Just joking! Just joking! I know The One is a soccer fan, so perhaps he'll have some influence on a Poplar Point stadium.

Well done to George Mason and Maryland.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 17, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

ReignKing, I can't believe you looked for it.

Funny thing though, if you search Wikipedia for "Koreans in Korea," you get nothing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 17, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

And now for something completely different: DCU aren't the only ones having new-stadiumzzzzzzzzzzzz difficulties...

(this story has generated nearly 300 comments...a sizable number of them negative)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 17, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse