More United and MLS News

San Jose forward Jovan Kirovski has been traded to Los Angeles. Not sure of the details.

D.C. United did not pick up the contract options on Quavas Kirk, Gonzalo Martinez, Gonzalo Peralta and Rod Dyachenko. The club seems likely to renegotiate with Peralta and perhaps Kirk at a lower salary, but I would be shocked if Martinez or Dyachenko returns. United also finalized deals to acquire Greg Janicki and Thabiso Khumalo from USL2 Pittsburgh. They had been with the club late in the season on loan with an option for DCU to acquire them outright this offseason.

More on Crayton being left unprotected: With his high salary in place until his contract expires next summer, don't expect Seattle to select him or any other club attempt to arrange a trade for him with the Sounders.

By Steve Goff  |  November 24, 2008; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United Protects.....
Next: Seattle's Options

Comments

Seems like United are really trying to create some cap space. Any rumors about who they could be looking in to? Hot stove time already in MLS? :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | November 24, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...Personally, I'd rather see someone else in Peralta's slot, but I'm guessing you have a better sense of what the FO thinks. Any inkling as to whether Peralta would be willing to take a substantial pay cut to stay here?

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Makes me glad I didn't buy a Martinez or Peralta jersey . . .

Posted by: Juan-John | November 24, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

The Bones Brigade couldn't last forever...
If only we could trade Martinez for Segares and Peralta for Conde we would be in great shape;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

please do not re-sign kirk or peralta. peralta is soft and constantly made mistakes leading to goals. Kirk, well, is he even a soccer player or just athlete who is tall and fast?

lets go out and get some young blood willing to bleed for the colors

Posted by: grubbsbl | November 24, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

How much is Crayton earning?

Posted by: tfoisie | November 24, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that we are finally dropping Dyachenko and Martinez.

Posted by: VamosUnited356 | November 24, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

MLS=

.-"""-.
/ \
\ /
.-"""-.-`.-.-. / _,-\ ()()_/:)
\ / , ` `|
_// ||
.-"-._,(__) .(__).-""-.
/ \ / \
\ / \ /
`'-------` `--------'`

Posted by: peridigm | November 24, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

"but I would be shocked if Dyachenko returns."

Thank You. God. I hope these are the decisions that the owners are making!

Posted by: redskinsux | November 24, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

The Keller acquisition seemingly helped teams make an easy decision when it came to protecting players. I'd expect to see a lot of keepers available, but maybe none taken.

Posted by: beach3 | November 24, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

This is basically what I figured was going to happen.

I think Peralta is salvageable and needs a bit of work to partner with Janicki. There's ~250-300k of cap space created by these departures, so we can feasibly sign some new players. If Peralta signs for a smaller salary and the league gets a salary boost, that's going to make for a decent offseason.

They made the changes I thought they needed too. Vamos United!

Posted by: strago | November 24, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 24, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

The lists are out.

The Rapids left McManus, Cooke and Erpen exposed. I'd expect they're going to lose on of the first two. FC Dallas, left Davino exposed, along with some little used players and a few players that didn't play at all. The Galaxy are willing to part with Kirovski, Vagenas, Klein, Mike Randolph, Ely Allen, and their stellar pair of 'keepers. San Jose isn't protecting Ronnie O'Brien, Grabavoy, James Riley, Eric Denton, Kelly Gray and Gavin Glinton. Toronto is exposing Sutton (another goalie), Freeman, Ricketts, Ruiz, Marco Velez, Johann Smith, Jarrod Smith and Tyler Rosenlund.

Moving on to playoff teams, the names get more interesting, of course:

The Fire have left off Prideaux, Stephen King (U.Md.), Calen Carr, C.J. Brown, Andy Herron, and a bunch of youngsters that include goalie and Damascus, MD native Nick Noble. Chivas' exposed list almost reads like an MLS Hall of Fame -- Razov, Thornton, Suarez, Victorine, and "Sueno" Flores -- also Dejair, Talley, Curtin, Zotinca, and Dan Kennedy. The Wizards aren't protecting Zavagnin, Hartmann, Hohlbein, Wahl, Thompson and Trujillo.

The Revs are exposing a few good players -- Castro, Germanese, Khano Smith and Wells Thompson. The Bulls aren't protecting Wolyniec, Leitch, Mbuta, Parke, Rojas, Magee and Jimenez. RSL is leaving unprotected some good talent -- Mathis, Kovalenko, Besagno, Ian Joy, Deuchar, Sturgis and Williams.

The deepest lists belong -- no surprise -- to Houston and Columbus:

The Dynamo have left unprotected Jacqua, Mulrooney, Ianni, Waibel, Onstad, Ashe, Barret and both Wondolowskis -- that's one deep team (their exposed players would give DCU's protected list a run for its money). Finally, the champs have left exposed Gaven, Noonan, Lenhart, Evans, Garey, Moffat and Hendrickson.

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I thought Martinez was fantastic ... I just don't see why so many dislike him. Dyachenko, well, that should have happened a few seasons ago. Glad on that.

Posted by: beergorila | November 24, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

The FO must think there is a good future for Janicki and Khumalo to protect them. No surprise with Martinez, past his prime, skilled but we need defenders who can defend. Peralta is a big question for me. After his injury he did not seem very fit and resorted to pulling shirts to defend. Curious to see if he thinks the pastures are greener back in Argie.

Posted by: sbg1 | November 24, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

NOt surprised you didn't mention Gomez being protected in Colorado Fischy. Makes me wonder what they plan on doing with him.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 24, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh, good. The Galaxy have another forward. Just what they need.

Posted by: Modibo | November 24, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan -- I only mentioned the unprotected. Goff's already told us Gomez is on the trading block. The only player DC could lose is Doe, but as I've worked through it, I don't think he'll go. I apologize for the long post here, since Goff had it covered.

beergorilla -- I enjoyed your post earlier. I'm surprised by your opinion of Martinez. I thought Martinez was a cheap hacker, with aimless speed, who spent almost as much time sprawled on the field as standing, and got beat a lot.

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

beergorila:

Martinez started out well enough, but seemed to lose focus too often, and as the season wore on this happened more and more often. I like his gung-ho attitude and physical gifts, but he became too much of a liability and was justifiably benched for the final portion of the season. I'd be interested in keeping him at, say, $50K against the cap. I highly doubt he'd take such a cut.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 24, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Peralta, Martinez and Kirk: These were the big moves that the Kasper/Soehn technical team and signed off on by KP. In DCU's history the horror of these moves is rivaled only by the trade of Craig Ziadie (Jamaican national team pool member) and Mark Lisi (a regular for NY before he got injured) for Orlando Perez and the immortal Petter Villegas. Don't forget: Kasper was so high on Dyachenko that he acquired him TWICE, reacquiring him after his selection by TFC in the expansion draft when he couldn't get enter Canada due to immigration issues.

Posted by: lgm6986 | November 24, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I've always thought the reacquisition of Dyachenko was more of a doing the right thing moment. Toronto had drafted someone they were being legally barred from using. I don't know whether the order came from the league office, or whether Kasper decided to do everyone involved a favor, but I think it was something like that.

Posted by: fischy | November 24, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

There were times in the season where it felt like Martinez was willing the team forward, and we need more players like that, or like Tino or Simms.

Looking at the mess the roster is in right now, I think if the next season doesn't result in a trophy then they absolutely need to do what Columbus did and build their way back up.

Posted by: M__N | November 25, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Kasper isn't smart enough to plan something out like that for the reacquisition of Dyachenko. Through 2006 DCU liked him, and weren't happy that they couldn't protect him. TFC selected him and only then discovered that he had immigration issues that would make his entry into Canada difficult (Don't forget: he ultimately did get sorted out as he traveled with DCU to Toronto in 2007). DCU saw the chance to get him back almost literally while he was sitting in his car at Niagara Falls trying to enter Canada and made the trade to do so. The only right thing Kasper or anyone at DCU was doing was the right thing for DCU and DCU alone.

Posted by: lgm6986 | November 25, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse