Morning Kickaround

*Real Madrid concedes six goals in two Copa del Rey Cup matches.....to a third-division club. The result: elimination at home to Real Union on a 6-6 aggregate (3-2 away goals). "I have no idea," Coach Bernd Schuster responded when asked to explain the defensive breakdowns. A 90th-minute goal lifted the Basque side to the series victory. Arshavin to the rescue?

*We told you last week that former MLSer and Rochester player/assistant Steve Guppy was going to join Gary Smith on the Rapids coaching staff, and to no one's surprise, Colorado officially lifted Smith's interim title yesterday. The club also re-signed veteran Pablo Mastroeni.

*The ACC men's tournament continues today with four quarterfinals in Cary, N.C.:
(2) Maryland-(7) North Carolina, noon
(3) Boston College-(6) Clemson, 2:30
(1) Wake Forest-(8) N.C. State, 5:30
(4) Virginia-(5) Duke, 8
N.C. State defeated Virginia Tech, 3-1, in yesterday's play-in game.

*Future MLS draft picks? Study these lists.

*George Mason rolled into the CAA semifinals with a 5-0 victory over visiting Hofstra, all the goals coming in the second half. The Patriots (11-6-2) have won five in a row and will face second-seeded William & Mary on Friday night in Wilmington, N.C. Northeastern will face top-seeded UNCW in the other semifinal.

*TV today:
Italian Cup, Udinese-Reggina, 1 p.m. GolTV
England, Spurs-Liverpool 2 p.m. Setanta
Italian Cup, Napoli-Salernitana 3 p.m. GolTV
Copa Sudamericana, Chivas-Internacional 6:30 p.m. Fox Espanol

By Steve Goff  |  November 12, 2008; 9:42 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS , Spain , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Training Camp Roster
Next: FIFA and Terps

Comments

Day 2 of Donovan's training with Munich:

He looks right at home lining up next to Luca Toni...and not Alan Gordon =/

Posted by: strago | November 12, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Another sign of how we struggle in this country finding defenders - only two of the All-ACC first team are defenders. And one of them is (bizarrely) listed as defender/forward! You could line that team up in a 1-3-6 formation!

Posted by: Kev29 | November 12, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Real Madrid always punts the CdR, but giving up 6 is going to raise questions. Of course, Villarreal was worse last week...

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Gonzalez is 6'5" and has skills and established scoring ability. So it's not that odd that he is listed as D and F.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 12, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Another reason why RM lost: Saint Iker wasn't in goal.

Gotta love the Basque language.

Posted by: Juan-John | November 12, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I don't know. About 3:25 from the end, Landy really gets in Toni's way. He looked a bit lost out there, but he made some good decisions with the ball -- I didn't see him make any turnovers. He didn't do anything great, either. Of course, what matters is what Klinsmann sees...

Schweinsteiger scored a nice free, though...

Posted by: fischy | November 12, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Duzek got his one game for the year.

Rumor is that Schuster will be fired this weekend if he doesn't win (which I don't believe).

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Poor Landon. Even his job interviews are in the public domain.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 12, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Apologies if this has been posted on SI before (I've been out of the loop for a little while), but I found it interesting:

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | November 12, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Passing it along...

"Los Angeles Galaxy owner Philip Anschutz has denied having any interest in buying Newcastle United."

Posted by: Kev29 | November 12, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

How did they get a photo of Anschutz? Hidden camera? How do we know that's really Anschutz?

Bored minds have nothing better to say.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 12, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

270 - It's a Phil drone that the Anschutz people fly out from behind the curtain every now and then.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 12, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@GreenbeltUnited -- it was posted yesterday. But, this brings up a meta question. I've been making the exact same argument here repeatedly for months. How come no one ever linkies back to me? Why does it get linkworthy just because someone you never heard of, who has a yahoo byline, writes the same thing I've been saying for months?

Waahhhh...

But, seriously, why does it become newsworthy just because some other guy with a lame Yahoo news platform writes it?

Posted by: fischy | November 12, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he'll buy the Australian Newcastle.

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- I was thinking it's tre weird, but kinda cool that we can watch a video that focuses the camera on Donovan's trial.

The whole world is watching...

Posted by: fischy | November 12, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Will someone buy me a Newcastle?

Posted by: fischy | November 12, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

Only if you buy the next round.

***

Did anyone find it really discouraging to see that Donovan is shorter than Lahm? I was always under the impression that Lahm was like 5'6", but I guess it's just that he's surrounded by Germans. It brought back memories of the post-anthem handshake in 2002 for me.

Speaking of handshakes, what's with the lengthy greeting session at the beginning? Don't most of these guys see each other on a daily basis?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 12, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Will someone buy me a Newcastle?

Posted by: fischy | November 12, 2008 12:38 PM

Fischy, I'm off to Manchester for Saturday's match v. Stoke City. Will a Holt's or a Boddington's do for you? Unfortunately due to TSA restrictions on liquids I shall have to have it for you, but it's the thought that counts, right?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | November 12, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 12, 2008 1:28 PM

It's a European thing. In France, where I grew up, my (male) classmates and I would shake hands every morning to greet each other before class. Girls would get a kiss on the cheek.

Posted by: fig1 | November 12, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, the Guardian did not give you credit either.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | November 12, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"... it's just that he's surrounded by Germans."

As Omar Bradley said, when in a similar situation, "Nuts!"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 12, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | November 12, 2008 12:35 PM

Uh, because the guy is a journalist who actually interviewed US Soccer and Fifa sources for his story.

Posted by: fig1 | November 12, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. General Anthony McAuliffe.

Research first, then post.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 12, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Obama is already like, the best president ever! He was elected like... 8 days ago and the US is already going to cock block England for the World Cup!
Totally Awesome!
Go USA! Go USA!
I'm surprised the Washington Post didn't break this "official" story...
:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 12, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

No lie, I-270: instead of mourning the election results last Tuesday, Mrs. Joe Doc, the kids and I watched "Battle of the Bulge." A great movie, even if the main tank battle in the movie takes place in a desert (don't recall there being a desert near Bastogne).

Henry Fonda ends up as the war hero. His daughter must not have seen the movie...

Fischy, I'm going to have a Sam Adams for you tonight as I watch "Chuck" and "Sara Connor Chronicles" on DVR. A toast to you, my friend!

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 12, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

So much for Pablo going to Europe.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | November 12, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Great disguise by Adam Baldwin at the restaurant BTW. He's great for one surprising laugh per episode.

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

So much for Pablo going to Europe.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | November 12, 2008 3:30 PM

----------------------------------------

Seriously. This story is getting no pay, but this is a tremendous about-face from when people just assumed Cagliari and some other Serie A small fish were just dying to get Pablo.

Either his agent was selling people a bill of goods, Pablo has had a massive change of heart and just loves playing for Gary Smith or his suitors changed their mind.

I'm intrigued.

Posted by: beach3 | November 12, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I just want to wish everyone a good beer....

Posted by: fischy | November 12, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, looks like I picked a hell of a week to quit drinking...

Posted by: DadRyan | November 12, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | November 12, 2008 3:51 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Reignking. He's one of the highlights of the show. He's my kind of right-wing nut job.

Who won Spurs-Liverpool?

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 12, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Pablo too far past his prime to go to Europe as anything but a tourist?

And would someone tell the FSC guys that Cagliari is not pronounced "Calgary."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 12, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Who won Spurs-Liverpool?

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 12, 2008 4:50 PM

Spurs 4 - 2 Liverpool

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | November 12, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

And Burnley just beat Chelsea on PK's

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | November 12, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Oops, not yet I lost count. Sorry!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | November 12, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Chelsea and Burnley have gone into penalties at Stamford Bridge. Burnley just blew a chance to win it with their last kick - ouch. Extra penalties now being taken.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 12, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Now Burnley have won!!!!!! Saved the 6th kick

Nice

Posted by: Kev29 | November 12, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Now they have. 5-4 on PK's.

Reminds me of a shirt I saw:

John Terry Vodka

Made in London
Bottled in Moscow
Leaves you Legless

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | November 12, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The Burnley radio commentators were going wild. "Remember this naaaaight Buuuurnlaay fans, remember this naaaight" :-)

Good stuff, well done the Clarets.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 12, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse