Morning Kickaround

*The MLS Eastern Conference championship game is tonight with Chicago facing New England (nope, Revs are missing for the first time in seven years), D.C. United (wrong, after two straight Supporters' Shields, they missed the playoffs), New York (oops, wrong bracket). It's Columbus, which is hosting an elimination game this deep in the playoffs for the first time in its 13-year history.

The Crew appeared in the finale of the best-of-three Eastern finals in 1998 and '99, but lost to DCU at RFK Stadium both times by a combined 7-0. In 1997, their season ended at Ohio Stadium when United won Game 2 and swept the three-game series.

Tonight marks the biggest game at Crew Stadium since the USA's World Cup qualifiers against Mexico in February 2001 and September 2005, no?

TV: ESPN2 coverage begins at 7:30 p.m. ET, but expect at least 15 minutes of pregame material.
Weather: 52 degrees, 20 percent chance of rain.
Attendance: Hmmm.

*Reinier Alcantara's personal representative says the Cuban defector/forward has signed with a San Diego-based sports agency and is scheduled to work out with Colorado next week and San Jose the following week.

*Corniest MLS promo ever? (Sorry, Ben)

*Chivas USA was knocked out of the playoffs last week, and yesterday the club learned that veteran midfielder Sasha Victorine will be sidelined six to eight months after undergoing knee surgery. Based on that timeline, he would not return until mid-May, at the earliest.

But wait, there's more! Click on the continuation of this thread.....

*The USA scored twice in the second half to defeat Germany, 2-1, and advance to the U-17 Women's World Cup final in New Zealand. The Americans will face North Korea, a 2-1 winner over England, on Sunday.

*All the favorites were victorious in the quarterfinals of the ACC men's soccer tournament, setting up Friday night matchups in Cary, N.C., with (1) Wake Forest facing (4) Virginia and (2) Maryland playing (3) Boston College. Late last night, the Cavs broke a late tie to defeat Duke, 4-2.

By Steve Goff  |  November 13, 2008; 6:16 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Goal of the Year Finalists
Next: Sudamericana Video

Comments

Yeah, the MLS Cup promo is corny, but Ben displays much more range than he did in the Dick's Sporting Goods spot. Not too much info about the car, but I'm glad to know it doesn't come equipped with Stadium Pals.

Posted by: BaltoFan | November 13, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Holy cow - that MLS Cup promo was embarrassingly bad! I could just imagine these guys calling their agents between takes, saying, "Look, Sol, I don't care what they're paying me: you gotta get me outta here!"

Posted by: schmuckatelli | November 13, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

corny...yes! embarrassing...maybe. But I thought the bits were kind of funny. can't wait for the release of the next episode.

Posted by: Mig18 | November 13, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

North Korea in the Women's U-17 World Cup final? Really?

Posted by: Southeasterner | November 13, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to the young US ladies!
I'll take corny over getting in fights with your bodyguard at the strip club any day.
The good news is that we don't have to watch this spoon fed commercialism while the beautiful game is played(hopefully). You know espn and their sports breaks...Love ya Benny!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 13, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

On a Thursday night again? This has to stop. At least Chicago fans showed up for that rainy Thursday season-ending thrashing on NY, but Columbus?

Posted by: Reignking | November 13, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Corny, yes, but I think it's meant to be over the top corny. Did anyone else notice that Ben was running? Okay, so it was a good jog, but hey, he looked like he was in good form. Go, Benny!

Posted by: HarkesyRules | November 13, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | November 13, 2008 8:20 AM

It actually looks like they sold out of all the lower section tickets (higher priced).

According to Ticket Master only the very top parts of the top sections are still available.

Now the question is will the people who bought the tickets actually show up if its raining.

Posted by: Southeasterner | November 13, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Corny? Yes! But the ending was unexpected. Corniest ever? Well, some of us remember ones from the early days: John "The Juggler" Harkes and Jason "The Demolisher" Kreis promos. Then there was the one set in an LA party scene where a rapper was improvising on MLS player names "What rhymes with Cienfuegos?" Those early ones were really, really bad.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 13, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

As corny as the promo's may be to some, fans should be thankful we finally have a league and team sponsor that has real marketing and creative talent actually putting some thought into way to promote MLS. Thanks VW!

Posted by: sec204 | November 13, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

"We there yet?..."

Makes my day, corny or otherwise!

Posted by: 22206no1 | November 13, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Rooting for Columbus tonight and Real on Saturday with Real to take the Cup. Can't stomach the thought of Eastern Conference rivals enjoying life, eh?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | November 13, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I laughed.

Posted by: jpeace121 | November 13, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's because I am that dreaded thing ignominiously called a 'soccer mom', or maybe it's because my name *is* Deb, but I think these are freakin' hilarious.

Go, Deb!

Posted by: jo_maman | November 13, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I used to think myself sophisticated...but since I liked the ads, guess not so much any more.

I particularly liked the cup guy in the first episode. And the kids at the curb. Nice, mom.

Bring on more, VW.

Posted by: seahawkdad | November 13, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

US U-17 girls with 57% of possession in a semifinal game v. Germany. 8,000 showed up to watch 16 year old foreign girls play.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 13, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I think the commercial is much better than the Dick's Sporting Goods one. This one is at least funny, while the other looks desperate. Plus, there's no mention of Beckham, so that's a big plus.

Posted by: TCompton | November 13, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I want to see a new MLS champ, not Chicago. Spread the wealth around a little bit. I'd also like it to be one of the originals...but no Red Balls. Makes my choice easy. Let's go Crew!

Posted by: defpotec | November 13, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Aw...Van Nistelrooy out for the year.

Drogba being investigated for throwing a coin into the stands yesterday...

Posted by: Reignking | November 13, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I actually thought the promo was kind of funny. Pokes fun at the American Soccer Mom (TM) - which I always approve of. "Strengthens the kicking muscles" - I swear I've heard that at one of my nephews games! Always followed with "boot it hard!"

Posted by: Kev29 | November 13, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Drogba was merely returning a lost item to a fan in the stands. He looked for the fan and pointed to him, albeit with a non-cannonical pointing finger. In this economy, a bloke needs to hold onto every penny, shilling, crown, farthing, and guinea.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 13, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

270:

I had blocked those ads out of my mind.

Seriously, there are few things in history that are more corny than MLS's humble beginnings. The Simpsons use of Hank Williams singing "Are you ready for some soccer?!?!?!!" would have been an improvement.

***

I am in the tank for RSL. They have some strikes against them ("Send him back to hospital" incident, the 2 PK game that killed our momentum in 2006), but they have some entertaining players, Lagerwey seems to know what's up, Kreis knows how a coach should dress, and their captain is Crofton's finest son, Kyle Beckerman.

All that said, it's still mostly because I can't stand the other teams. Chicago will never get my support due to their eliminating us multiple times and the presence of Blanco. Columbus and their "we wish someone would be our rival" fans reek of desperation and sadness, and I'm cruel enough to hope that continues forever. NY...this is a family blog, so I have to hold back. I want to be able to use "How many trophies have you won" until I'm dead.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 13, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

That video is so bad one would think the intent must be to make it spread like a "viral" video, which it probably will since this thing is so abysmally bad.

Even so, if they are looking to sell season tickets to MLS games or VW vehicles with this thing I highy doubt it will result in so much as one single sale of either.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 13, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Corny, but funny. So no beef here.

Hey, Goff? I get the reason for the new sign-in and all, but I am the original Kosh. And I know we are all Kosh and whatnot but what's with this Kosh2 crap? Can your tecMologists associate my orignal handle to my email, please? Thank you, sir.

It's good to be back (would be better if I had my handle back).

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 13, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Amen, Chest. Could not have said it better.

I hope tonight's winner comes out battered and loaded with suspensions, so that RSL can romp them to their inaugural title...yes I am bitter.

Posted by: Kosh2 | November 13, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to watching the game tonite after LMAO at "The Office"! Go Crew!

Posted by: boda-united | November 13, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@jo_maman: extra credit for "ignominiously."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 13, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Unrelated -- just heard on the radio (TalkSport, UK) that there is some chatter about Beckham extending his loan through the end of the Italian season. Just rumor though.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 13, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Don't know where this will air, but it's funny.

Posted by: fischy | November 13, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Corny? Maybe, but at least this one was funny too. Usually they're just bad.

Posted by: teo_68 | November 13, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Virginia Tech women, being @ BYU, get a 24-hour jump on the rest of the NCAA field.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 13, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

YO GOFF! You going to be at the game tonight?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 13, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

A Columbus-RSL MLS Cup must be Garber's nightmare. I shudder to think about how low those TV ratings would be.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 13, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The ad is hilarious. Kinda subversive humor that's supposed to make you uncomfortable - the soccer mom reminds me of Malcolm in the Middle's mom.

First we lose Sasha Victorine, now Ruud van Nisterooy?!! Can the sport survive?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 13, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | November 13, 2008 11:22 AM

I don't want to sound flip, but... Do you really think it matters what cities play in the final?

Posted by: Kev29 | November 13, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

That was the worst promo ever since the Dick Sporting goods promo. (sorry Ben but get a better agent for your promos) WOW!!!

As for the game, Fire will be the Crew because of one player...BLANCO!!!

Posted by: Bigmon411 | November 13, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

beat the Crew not be the crew

Posted by: Bigmon411 | November 13, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Corny?

Goff, I'm not sure that word means what you think it means...

Posted by: EricB1 | November 13, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I thought the commercial wasn't half bad. What struck me was how bad Sasha's mustache was. Just shave that thing off dude.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 13, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

The best hope Garber has now is having Blanco play. It doesn't matter that he's in Chicago, but it will boost ratings a lot where there are lots of Mexican viewers. Would it really matter if they played RSL or NY? To NY and Chicago fans it would, but not to casual fans or people who just happen to turn on the TV that day.

Posted by: Modibo | November 13, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Yo Poopy, don't hate on the mustache craze. Not everyone has the balls not to care. Those who do should be congratulated.
Shake the haters off Sacha, you're in good company:

Posted by: DadRyan | November 13, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | November 13, 2008 11:22 AM

Posted by: Kev29 | November 13, 2008 11:35 AM

No MLS Cup matchup is going to garner superbowl-type ratings of course, but lets face it NY- CHI would be a much more marketable matchup the Col-RSL. NY-Chi ratings would likely be in-line with other MLS cups, but I suspect ratings would absolutely crater for a Col-RSL match. That would not be good for the league.

I shudder to think about what the stadium attendace would look like for a Col-RSL match. Its safe to say Columbus fans are not going to travel in large numbers to HDC, since they rarely travel in large numbers to their own stadium. I don't think RSL fans would travel in large numbers, either.

So, with a Col-RSL matchup you are looking at a pretty low-rated, non-telegenic (owing to acres of empty seats) broadcast.

Posted by: Ron16 | November 13, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The most important thing would've been a home team in the MLS Cup...

Posted by: Reignking | November 13, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

How exactly would the RedBulls being in the cup final help the ratings? The local media doesn't even know they exsist, and they have average attendance. It won't make a difference whether its RSL or NYRB. With the Fire, I'll give ya that. Blanco can help. But don't give me that "New York will help the ratings" business. As they say down here, that dog won't hunt.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | November 13, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 13, 2008 8:36 AM
----------------------------------------

I never saw that one, but it sounds hysterical!

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 13, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Coming to the party late here, but I am of the opinion that Columbus needs a championship more than any of the other three teams...and especially one that isn't decorated in scarlet and gray (this coming from a member of Buckeye Nation too).

Viva los Massive Canaries!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 13, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | November 13, 2008 11:11 AM

Good call. Now I have one more thing I'll struggle to watch tonight. I'm already watching ESPN, ESPN2 and plan to DVR NBC tonight. Now I'll be watching NCAA action for free at this site.

Posted by: sitruc | November 13, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

MLS Cup has never drawn fewer than 21K fans, and never fewer than 25K at HDC, even with finalists that were less than glamorous. I don't think there will be a problem.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 14, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

The commercial has grown on me. It helps to see it in sequence, I think, and I enjoyed them the second time around.

Posted by: tfoisie | November 15, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse