Morning Kickaround

*D.C. United midfielder Clyde Simms, out of contract at the end of December, "is exploring all his options," one of his representatives tells the Insider. Sounds as if Simms will see if there's any interest overseas, perhaps line up a trial, and then evaluate his opportunities. DCU officials have said they are eager to re-sign him. Simms did not return a phone message seeking comment.

*MLS tonight: New England at Chicago, 8:30 (ESPN2). The teams played to a 0-0 draw in the first leg. The Revs' all-time playoff record at Chicago is 0-5-0 (two goals, 12 allowed). This season, the Fire swept the regular season series, winning all three games by a combined 9-1 count. Revs defender Gabriel Badilla returns from suspension, but Khano Smith, Taylor Twellman and Steve Ralston remain out. Advantage, Fire.

*Former DCU winger Steve Guppy is returning to MLS.....as a Colorado assistant coach. He had been a player/assistant for USL1 Rochester.

*The USA women played a 0-0 tie with South Korea in Cincinnati, defender Heather Mitts's hometown. The teams will meet again Saturday in Tampa.

*At the ACC women's tournament, seventh-seeded Virginia Tech upset No. 2 Florida State on penalty kicks and No. 3 Virginia needed overtime to defeat No. 6 Wake Forest. The Hokies and Cavs will meet in Friday's semifinals.

*Big East men's tournament today: Georgetown hosts Cincinnati at 2 p.m.

*Marathon eliminates Saprissa from the Champions League and hands Cruz Azul the group's other quarterfinal berth with a 2-0 victory over the Costa Ricans:

By Steve Goff  |  November 6, 2008; 9:24 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , USL , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Soehn to Return
Next: Marshall Honored

Comments

I hope Simms comes back to DC. However, I hope DC is willing to pay him a more deserving salary.

Good, deserved result from the Hokies. The defense and especially freshman keeper Kristin Carden played well. Hopefully, they will make the NCAA tournament. The Cavs won't need any extra incentives after the October meeting.

Posted by: sitruc | November 6, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

honestly, Clyde needs to stay here, and DCU needs to double his salary (at least) if some European club wants to drop money on him, then hey, take it, but as much as I love the guy, he doesn't have the chops to play in a European first division as a holding midfielder. he could have a very nice career in DC and MLS.

plus, I don't want to have to buy my girlfriend another Simms jersey from another team, and she'd really demand it.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | November 6, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

DCU needs to resign Simms. He is not a flashy player, but he gives you a ton of minutes and plays hard. On paper, losing Simms would not be a big loss, but I think his role on the team is more important than most people realize.

That being said, I think it would be great if he latched on with a European team.

Posted by: therealfootball | November 6, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Letting the clubs "defensive player of the year" go would be a mistake.
Speaking of the Revs, what ever happened with the Superliga finalists and their plans to split the cash?

You could say Marathon went the distance:-) The atmosphere at their home games has been a joy to watch. I'll look forward to seeing some more of them in the quarter finals.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 6, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

clyde...run as far a way as possible.

soehn is coming back!

Posted by: rhbancroft | November 6, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Simms should look in Europe, just to see what kind of cash he could get, but I don't see him going to something remotely big. Scandinavia at best, I would think.

I can't blame him for seeking out options, but I think this is all for negotiations.

Posted by: Reignking | November 6, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

MLS can not compete even with the Scandinavian leagues for salaries. If he gets an offer, it would be for far more than would be prudent for an MLS team to pay a player like Clyde.

Since he's out of contract, there's no transfer fee required, so DC has little to no leverage in this situation.

Finally, you can talk about the quality of play in those leagues, but for a young-ish single man who's been working real cheap, sounds like a tremendous adventure and opportunity.

Posted by: JkR- | November 6, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I agree with some of the posts here. Dude could definitely play first division in Scandavia. Or the I wouldn't bet against him playing in the Eredivisie. I think that he could play in the English Championship or Scotish Premiership but the work permit issues are going to kill those opportunites.

DC needs to offer him a lot more ca$h (he's earned it). Seems like Clyde is thinking long and hard (as well he should be). Considering his "humble" beginnings (I saw Dude play with the Richmond Kickers before Arena "discovered" him), he has already has "overachieved". I say ride it until the wheels fall off...

The fact that he didn't return a call from the Insider is a bit funny though...I'll just assume that he is on vacation or that his agent gave him very strict instructions to stay quiet.

Do your thing Clyde!!!

Posted by: yankiboy | November 6, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see another regional powerhouse biting the dust... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | November 6, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Unless I am mistaken, Clyde Simms is married. I seem to recall him mentioning that at a training session DC United did for the youth players in the area. Not that it really changes anything; just thought I'd point that out.

Posted by: jburksva | November 6, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@Posted by: jburksva | November 6, 2008 11:14 AM

Clyde used to do our NCSL team practices. Prince of a guy. I was fairly certain he was not married, but I'm more than willing to be wrong.

Also, not getting a call back from Clyde is hardly shocking... ;O)

Posted by: JkR- | November 6, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

BSPN2 has once more allotted 2.5 hours for the game. Does this mean another extended pregame program with a 9:00 (Eastern) kickoff, or are they going kick off closer to 8:30, given that tonight's action may go beyond the standard 90 minutes? Inquiring recording devices want to know.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 6, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

If I were 20-something and said, "Hey Honey, we're moving to Scandanavia, where I'm gonna make a lot more money - enough for us both" I'd get no complaints. Then again, when I was 20-something, the future Mrs. I-270Exit1 and I were already living the Scandanavian climate and culture of Minnesota.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 6, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Simms was basically the Ben Olsen for our team this year, they need to try everything to resign him. He isn't a real flashy guy so he doesn't get the credit he deserves, but he was always flying around the ball and he likes to take a go of it from outside the box, which we need more of. If he put a few of those on frames, he would have 5 or 6 goals and be one of our top 4 or 5 players hands down. He was definitely the best, and most consistent, midfielder we had this year.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | November 6, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | November 6, 2008 9:42 AM
__________________________________________

Tech's record after yesterday's action is only 10-7-3, but they've got a pretty good RPI (http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2008WSOrpi1.html). Beating Virginia would seal it. Otherwise they may be on the bubble.

Another local women's team, Georgetown, was upset by UConn in the Big East quarters last weekend. They are at 13-4-2 and were ranked in the top 25 at times, but their RPI isn't so hot.

The NCAA women's tourney format, if it is the same as in previous years, is such that there are 16 sites for the first two rounds. Thus, the first round will be a home game for 16 teams, an away game for 16 others, and a neutral site for the 32 in the middle. Virginia is gunning to stay in the top 16.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 6, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I think Clyde is gone. It's not a question of whether a Euro club will offer more money, just of how much more and whether DC will try to match/beat that offer. I don't like United's chances in that contest.

Moreover, if Clyde stays he now knows that Soehn will be around to run him into the ground again. As long as Soehn is in charge, this team is a sinking ship. I hope for Clyde's sake a Scandinavian lifeboat comes along.

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | November 6, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Saprissa was the only team to drop points against DC United in the Concachampions League. The stoppage time equalizer when Lightning Rod got hit in the chest by Marc Burch's corner kick did have an impact!

DC needs to keep Clyde Simms. Some folks thought he wasn't as effective a d-mid as Brian Carroll or Ben Olsen or even the Simms '07 version. That was mostly due to this season's change in formation where one d-mid (in a diamond shaped midfield) has more responsibilities and ground to cover than he would if he was paired with another d-mid (in the box-shaped midfield).

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 6, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Whether or not DC should hang onto Simms depends of course on what he'd cost. At his current salary, he's a steal, of course; but I confess that if I were trying to re-sign him, my ceiling would probably be lower than that of a lot of people here.

Senor Goff: what other DC contracts end this offseason? Who else will require re-signing if DC wants to keep them?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | November 6, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

DCU cannot afford to lose Clyde, we're doomed to another mediocre season without him. But if he does leave to solid European team I won''t be to mad at the guy. Maybe there's a spot available on Troy's team.

Posted by: beltwayrob | November 6, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

The last time a DC United defensive midfielder went shopping in Europe it didn't work out so well. Brain Carroll didn't make the cut, and didn't play as well on his return as he had before. The same fate could befall Clyde, but I wouldn't blame him for testing the waters.

Posted by: b18bolo | November 6, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Simms and Namoff are out of contract.

Olsen, Gallardo, Moreno and Emilio have guaranteed deals and Crayton is under contract until next summer.

As for everyone else, the club must decide whether to exercise the option on their contracts or attempt to renegotiate a new pact at a higher or lower rate.

Posted by: Steve Goff | November 6, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Simms had an excellent year. He is the kind of guy that gives it his all - all the time. Clearly he slowed down at the end of the season after so many tough minutes but DCU should try to keep him. I think he could play elsewhere but there must be alot of talent scouts out there now and it wouldn't be surprising if he gets a look somewhere. Again, I hope we can keep him as he is a solid midfield asset and someone who gives us stability at DMid.

Posted by: sbg1 | November 6, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Simms definitely deserves a raise, but it's tough to say how much. We do have Vide and, if we can get some center backs, McTavish available to replace him, but these would both be steps down (at least in the short term).

I'd say Simms' value to this team is about what Namoff's is. Unfortunately for us, both meet the quality required for a Scandinavian side to swoop for them. Actually, given a choice of keeping one or the other, I think I'd lean towards Simms. I think he's less easily replaced (both in terms of who we've got and what we could get) and, judging from the fact that he's worn the armband in the absence of Moreno, Gallardo, and Olsen several more times than Namoff, there must be some edge in leadership in his favor.

This is not at all good news. The front office needs to do its best to sign Simms at a rate he deserves, but there's a certain point where we simply won't be able to match without overextending ourselves within the cap.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 6, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse