Open Thread

Tell us what is on your mind -- Euro Champions League observations this afternoon, NCAA tournament games tonight, the unveiling of WPS St. Louis's name (Athletica) and logo today, your dizzying anticipation of tomorrow's MLS expansion draft.....

Unless there's urgent news, I don't anticipate rejoining you until tomorrow morning. I have college basketball and family responsibilities so colleague Paul Tenorio will be in College Park for the Maryland-George Mason soccer encounter. If you're heading out there, dress warm.

Cheers!

By Steve Goff  |  November 25, 2008; 1:53 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , Euro Champions League , MLS , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Del Boca Vista
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

What's one my mind?

How much longer can DC United continue to raise ticket prices when:
1) RFK is in terrible condition, its food service is crap, and little is expected to be done to change it,
2) It's play on the field has been pathetic and its ownership has stated that it's not changing much of anything for next year, and
3) The economy is crap and is limiting the amount of money that people can spend on entertainment.

Posted by: TCompton | November 25, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Shoot. I had just mapped out my afternoon's to do list strategy and you had to go and remind me that Man United is on ESPN this afternoon. ;)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | November 25, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

That's a really bad name. "The word “Athletica,” while not found in the English dictionary, is derived from the adjective “athletic,” with the “a” denoting the newly-created noun as feminine, a common practice in many foreign languages." Yeah but not English as spoken in the USA.

And Joan of Arc on the badge? I hope Chalupny, Solo and Marta don't have to cut their hair into pageboys.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 25, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Happy Thanksgiving, SI colleagues...

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 25, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Not exactly Champion's league but Cardiff and Reading about to kick off. EJ back on bench where of course Convey would love to be but isn't. Coppell kept the same players as last week because he said that he couldn't replace 9 people who played terribly. Marcus of course, one of the two that didn't. We'll see if Reading can get back into winning form.

Posted by: Beckster1 | November 25, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I can hear it now, "The Athletica"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 25, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. I don't know about this Joan of Arc thing either. She didn't have a happy ending. Now Buffy the Vampire Slayer, there's a happy ending.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 25, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, St. Louis Athletica is a horrible, horrible name. But it's better than Sky Blue FC and FC Gold Pride.

FC Gold Pride?!? WTF?

Posted by: combedge | November 25, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

1) It sounds like a shoe.

2) Honey, I got us tickets to the Athletica-Gold Pride game... (door slamming in face)

3) -a is the neutral plural ending in Latin - they would have to be athleticae to be plural feminine. I'd hate to be the beat reporter for the STL paper who has to figure out if the Athletica are or is winning. I think it's wrong both ways.

Posted by: IamAM | November 25, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

We'll see if Reading can get back into winning form.

Posted by: Beckster1 | November 25, 2008 2:38 PM
-------------------------------------------

That's a liberal use of the royal "we". Week after week, you ask or write about Reading, but no one else does. I hope I'm not sounding hostile, but maybe you'd get more response on a Reading board?

Posted by: fischy | November 25, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

St. Louis Athletica can be abbreviated SLA. How about Patty Hearst as coach?

Posted by: Ron16 | November 25, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Now Buffy the Vampire Slayer, there's a happy ending.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 25, 2008 2:59 PM

I just had a mental image of Buffy taking a free kick. Look out 'keeper!

And of course, there would be a lot of crosses.

Thanks for the smile.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | November 25, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Or how about the Maoist "Chacago Red Stars" for a really horrible name?

Posted by: Ron16 | November 25, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I dunno. If we're going with the women warriors, and difficult to pronounce, I'd take Valkyries. They could take the field to blaring Wagner.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 25, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Yes Fischy, you are sounding hostile. It is an open thread, there are American's playing and not too much else happening this afternoon. Man u and Villareal 0 to 0 at the half. Haven't been able to follow it all but nice to have coverage on ESPN.

Posted by: Beckster1 | November 25, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Goff mentioned the Gold Cup in today's Kickaround, so here goes:

Why does the Gold Cup need to be every two years? In fact, do we need the Gold Cup at all? How much do the CONCACAF players and teams benefit from skipping club commitments to face mostly the same opponents they see in WC qualifying? Who cares passionately about the Gold Cup (apart from the occasional U.S. - Mexico showdown)? Does CONCACAF really need a regional champion? (Don't get me started on the Confederations Cup folly.) How about expanding the Copa America (another devalued tournament) to 16 teams or more, with invites to the top CONCACAF nations (not just Mexico and the U.S.)? The CONMEBOL nations may not like the idea at first, but it's worth a shot.

Posted by: SSMD1 | November 25, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@SSMD1 - The Gold Cup exists to make money for all soccer countries, not named Mexico or the United States. The Canadian Soccer Association would go out of business without it. Most second tier CONC nations don't play games, outside of World Cup qualifying. This gives them something to do every other year at least, even if it's just qualifying.

Posted by: IamAM | November 25, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Or how about the Maoist "Chacago Red Stars" for a really horrible name?

Posted by: Ron16 | November 25, 2008 3:43 PM

----------------------

I actually kinda like the socialist/communist nature of the Red Stars name. Plus, I gave it the benefit of the doubt that it was referring to the six-pointed stars found in the Chicago city flag.

Posted by: combedge | November 25, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Capdevila red card after an intentional foul on CRonaldo. Minutes before, Capdevila had saved the game by clearing a ball near the goal. Overall, though, a yawner of a match.

Posted by: Reignking | November 25, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

What the hell do all these "women's soccer is lame" mofos care about what they're naming their teams? Just another chance to make yourselves feel more manly bashing women I suppose...

And does anybody else find OWNTF's suggestion of Chalupny, Solo, and Marta with pageboys kinda hot?;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 25, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Beckster -- As I said, it wasn't my intent to be hostile. It's just that your Reading posts start to read like a certain someone's obsession with a 3rd jersey.

Anyway, I like Hahnemann -- he's a great shot-stopper who has deserved better from the USSF. And, I like Convey from his DC days, though he was a huge drag on the USMNT. But, face facts -- neither of these guys are in the national team picture any more.

Back to the top of this thread. The economy is in the crapper. And DC United is playing in a dump @ RFK. Unfortunately, these two things are inextricably linked. Despite the optimistic soundings early this summer, I'll be very surprised to see any movement on a SSS in this off-season. Poplar Point and Greenbelt will both have to wait.

Posted by: fischy | November 25, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey now Fischy! Chest Rockwell himself has expressed some interest in the 3rd jersey concept. If that's not a ringing endorsement I don't know what is...;-)

Maybe some cash flow could be generated with a 3rd jersey release to facilitate spiffing up RFK a little bit? I'd buy one for the whole family if I knew it meant cleaning the taps, and training some grounds crew who won't destroy the pitch in a monsoon, and making sure the gosh dang big screen is working on match day!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 25, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Gee Fischy it is hardly an obsession and you never comment on the rest of the posts - I make far more comments about DC United - the team I actually support and some of the local women's college soccer. I don't know what you have against some of these yanks abroad or Reading but whatever - your issue

Posted by: Beckster1 | November 25, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan -- nice comeback.

Beckster -- It's nothing personal, I assure you. Now, in case you missed it, Hahnemann dropped a floated ball in and then bearhugged the striker while trying to get it back. He was called for a penalty -- put Reading down 2-1. Hunt scored to earn a tie. Peace, bro.

Goff -- Any chance you're working on a profile of another American Abroad? Brad Friedel will break the EPL record for consecutive games played in his next start....

Posted by: fischy | November 25, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I like all the names. They are all much better than names like red skin. What the hell?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | November 25, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Maryland looked good tonight vs. Mason. First time there, the student section is hilarious. Though probably not so much if you're an opposing player. Would like to see them against a stronger side, but #s 7, 9, 11, 16, 17 all seemed to have some serious game.

Posted by: eadc | November 25, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | November 25, 2008 9:22 PM
==================

You have a point.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 25, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

browsing the Eurosport catalog..
I noticed they have the Sounders jersey..

but i was curious to know why would an American flag be on the left arm for an away jersey..??
something new perhaps..

or maybe that i was bored and thought i would juggle a few brains..

lol

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 25, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Check this picture out though Dips. The chick on the rights jersey doesn't have the flag on it...
I'm sure they expect to be playing in Champions league by 2010 and they're probably trying to REPRESENT.
Again DCU needs a 3rd jersey for CL Play. What was Man-U wearing again today? Go ahead say it. 3rd Jersey, 3rd Jersey!

I'll bet the Sounders will have their 3rd kit hanging on racks before the end of their first season. White shirts like the old Sounders wore.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 26, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Man i think its all adidas in regards to the third jersey..:sigh: only 5 more years until the contract is up.
As allways..MLS is the guinea pig for jersey kits.
If we dont get a 3rd kit, we should at least get an off-color away jersey. You know like the rare third jersey kit we once had..We should get a red away kit..

and i would think the Galaxy would get a third kit first before any..why?
CAUSE EVERYONE LOVES THE GAL(beckham)AXY, as they presume...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 26, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

If we dont get a 3rd kit, we should at least get an off-color away jersey.
_________________________________________

Would that be one that displays slogans that are unsuitable for polite company?

Posted by: universityandpark | November 26, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

There is but one area NCAA men's team left standing. A team from the People's Republic of Berkeley will be at Ludwig in the round of 16 this weekend. UNC-Greensboro is turning out to be the Pink Cows of the NCAA postseason. Bringing a sub-.500 record into the tournament, they eliminated Loyola up in Ballmer last night, UConn beat Virginia by two at Klockner. (Did anyone see that game?) William and Mary gave Wake Forest a 94-minute workout before dropping.

Two weather-delayed contests early this afternoon: Ohio State at Akron and Boston College at Dartmouth. Both can be followed through the link that Goff provided above. Speaking of OSU, two Columbus Crew coaches have a personal interest in this tournament. There is a Warzycha at OSU, and a Schmid at UC-Irvine.

Also this afternoon: U20 women vs. China.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 26, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | November 26, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

-------------------

As charming as the Maryland Crew were in my student days their schtick is pretty tired at this point. I think if they just introduced a few actual soccer cheers instead of the same knock knock joke every game then I'd tolerate them for a while longer. I'd love to see some Barra Brava come out for a few games, take over a section and show them what it's all about.

Posted by: M__N | November 26, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

It's not quite Yanks Abroad, but it's a measure of respect for MLS on one's curriculum vitae:

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 26, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I was at the Maryland game last night and the Terps were clearly the stronger team overall. Mason got somewhat of a moral victory by keeping Md scoreless in the 2nd half but they were never able to put pressure on Maryland's goal. Still, a tournament win in the 1st stage is a nice achievement for a George Mason team that hadn't been in the NCAA tourney in about a decade.

3rd jerseys: Man U was dressed up as the Blue Meanies yesterday because they were playing against the Yellow Submarine:

Maybe the new St Louis WPS team can use Graham Parker's "Start a Fire" as their theme song while they do their warmups.

It could be a great motivator if they have to worry about Joan of Arc's fate for underperformance! Worse than being exposed to Seattle in the expansion draft...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 26, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for bringing this up again, but I have more important things that take up space in my own memory. Which other MLS team gets the automatic CONCACAF CL slot?

The Wikipedia site lists DC below Columbus and ahead of NY and Houston. Does that mean that DC actually gets an automatic slot? It makes sense that a trophy winner gets an automatic slot while runners up play in. But I would never, ever, presume that CONCACAF would do the sensible thing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 26, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

Actually, GMU did get to the NCAAs once in the past decade, two or three years ago. They lost to Hofstra in the first round.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 26, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Ivan Gazidis signs with Arsenal...

Seems like both good news and bad news for MLS.

Posted by: cray | November 26, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

--------------------

Gimme a break DadRyan - the name is bad regardless of whether it is women's soccer or not.

American sports is full of bad team names.
MLS has had its share. I think Real Salt Lake is awful. The fact that FC had to be added to Seattle Sounders is ridiculous. San Jose Clash and Dallas Burn were bad. Miami Fusion FC was stupid. As for the other leagues - Columbus Blue Jackets? Anaheim Ducks? Washington Wizards? Atlanta Dream? Chicago Sky?

And yes indeed, Washington Redskins is deplorable.

So, get the "Women's Soccer is so disrepected" chip off of your shoulder. Geez.

Posted by: combedge | November 26, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I thought he was he was being humorous with mock indignation.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 26, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Mock indignation?
Preposterous!

Liverpool has a third kit and their's are Adidas.
Man-U wore the blue kits last CL matchday as well. Not to mention Chelsea in that yellow this afternoon...
No more excuses we want a third jersey!!!

Posted by: madryan | November 26, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Oops, this computer doesn't recognize the modern me...DadRyan.

Posted by: madryan | November 26, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse