Perkins and the King

By virtue of winning the Norwegian Cup with Valerenga, USA goalkeeper Troy Perkins got to shake hands with the king of Norway, Harald V, who, like Perkins, is a former resident of Washington, D.C.

By Steve Goff  |  November 13, 2008; 2:41 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Rookie of the Year Is.....
Next: Matchnight: Crew-Fire

Comments

What was our transfer fee for Harald V?

Posted by: Section117 | November 13, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see "The Return of the (Guy Who Met the) King."

Come on back, Troy! The weather's better.

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 13, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Great for Perkins. I'm glad he didn't just go abroad, but is actually a contributor.

Reading this also makes me realize that we have a long way to go as supporters. Songs for every player? Pre-game rallies? Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 13, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | November 13, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Sure -- they have rallies and songs, but they don't have Soccer Insider!

Posted by: fischy | November 13, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

When Troy was introduced to the King of Norway, I'm sure he was a bit more sophisticated than Jim Thorpe who, when receiving an Olympic medal from the King of Sweden, allegedly said "Hi, King!" (Apparently the king was charmed and retold the story often.)

Posted by: b18bolo | November 13, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Song for every player? I hope it's something simple like "la la la [insert player name] la la la." Anything more will be difficult after a few beers.

I once had a goal or should I say it once had me.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 13, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

No SI in Norway, fischy, but I hear the beer's pretty good...

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 13, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"As it turns out, our supporters march from our old stadium (Bislett) all the way to Ulleval, so traffic was at standstill. We wind up driving amongst our fans for a little bit, and it was just a mass of people. They were led by marching band, and there were thousands of people singing and chanting."

How far is it from Lot 8 to Greenbelt?

Posted by: OWNTF | November 13, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping for Larry King.

Posted by: Reignking | November 13, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | November 13, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF: That was uncalled for. Wickedly funny, but uncalled for.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 13, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"Valerenga came in 10th in the 14-team Norwegian League, but won the country's cup competition. Sounds familiar."

Tell me about it. I moved to Oslo this year and am a DC fan. It was like watching two parallel teams at times.

Also, we definitely get SI in Norway. ;)

Posted by: WFU03 | November 13, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Pardon the small-r republican in me, but if Perkins shook hands with the king, did the field players get to kick the king?

Posted by: dccal | November 13, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Great pic, Kev! I guess Troy must be standing behind the guy.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | November 13, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

How far is it from Lot 8 to Greenbelt?

Posted by: OWNTF | November 13, 2008 4:15 PM
---------------------------------------------

I don't know -- maybe twice as far as New Carrolton would be? Still, not that far, unless you're walking....

Posted by: fischy | November 14, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

A title like "Perkins and the King" and no Sun Studios reference?

Posted by: jweibley | November 14, 2008 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerfan | November 14, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I knew Goff would come through with a bit about this.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | November 14, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

It goes:
Troy, Troy
Our American boy
A keeper and a fighter
one-time mortgage underwriter
Comes through in the big game
Gotta find him a Norwegian dame

Posted by: fallschurch1 | November 14, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update on Troy. We really miss him. Hope to see him with the Nats. He was called up again.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | November 14, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse