The Week Ahead

A busy few days in American soccer circles.....

TONIGHT: NCAA men's tournament brackets (5:30 p.m. ET, ESPNews)
WEDNESDAY: USA-Guatemala World Cup qualifier in Denver (8 p.m. ET, ESPN Classic, Galavision)
WEDNESDAY: CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers, final semifinal games: Mexico at Honduras, Canada at Jamaica, Cuba at T&T.
THURSDAY: MLS most valuable player Schelotto announcement (4:30 p.m. ET, ESPNews)
FRIDAY: The Commish Don Garber's state of MLS speech (7 p.m. ET, MLSnet.com)
SATURDAY: NCAA men's tournament, first round; NCAA women's tournament, round of 16 (all day, NCAAsports.com)
SATURDAY: CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, final-round draw for USA, Costa Rica, El Salvador, almost surely Mexico and T&T and either Honduras or Jamaica (6 a.m. ET, fifa.com)
SATURDAY: 2009 Confederations Cup draw for USA, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Egypt, New Zealand, Iraq, South Africa (10 a.m. ET, fifa.com)
SATURDAY: MLS Best XI and comeback player of the year (3 p.m. ET, MLSnet.com)
SUNDAY: MLS Cup, New York vs. Columbus, at Home Depot Center (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC, Telefutura)

We'll keep you updated here at the Insider.

By Steve Goff  |  November 17, 2008; 1:39 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , College Soccer , MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: NCAA Tournament Set

Comments

All hail New Zealand - the great power of Oceania!

Seriously, why does FIFA allow Oceania to exist as a regional federation? There's no point whatsoever, except to give NZ soccer a boost on the world stage for useless tournaments like the Confed Cup. Fold the kiwis and the islanders into Asia and call it a day.

Posted by: SSMD1 | November 17, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

The Socceroos used the be the big fish in Oceania, but they decided they needed stronger/better competition, so they petitioned -- and were approved -- for their switch to the Asian confederation a few years back.

As for the TV schedule up there, most likely the only thing I'll watch is Sunday's MLS Cup final. GO CREW...beat the Pink MetroCows! :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | November 17, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I didn't know they drew the Confed bracket so soon. Any chance Italy, Spain, Egypt and Brazil get in the same bracket? ;) Actually, I would loooove for the US to get a crack at Italy, and a certain New Jersey born forward, whose name shall not be mentioned.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | November 17, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I vote for disbanding Oceania, only because I can't pronounce it. Oh-shee-ann-ee-ah, Oh-shun-ee-ah, Oh-Susanna-won't-you-cry-for-me.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 17, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

and a certain New Jersey born forward, whose name shall not be mentioned.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | November 17, 2008 3:14 PM
==========

Hereafter referred to as Voldemort.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 17, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Did I say "Alabama?"

Well I've been to Alabama, people,
Ain't a whole lot to see.
Skynyrd says it's a real sweet home,
But it ain't nothin' to me.
Ol' Charlie Daniels'll tell you,
The good Lord lives in Tennessee.
But I'm goin' back to the Gator Country Where the wine and the women are free.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 17, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Good, I can start working on my trip plans to DF...

Posted by: Reignking | November 17, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Does it seem odd to anyone else that the MVP gets announced before the comeback player of the year?

Posted by: Kenobi | November 17, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

not really since the comeback player - played well - got hurt/strung out or whatever then played well again. It's a test in patience to see if they REALLY are a comeback award worthy...

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | November 17, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

LOL at 270

and

busy busy busy week for US soccer in general..

MLS has come to an end tear tear..

:sniff:

2009 should be a good year..OBAMA will be at the games lol

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | November 17, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

In the latest fashion statement out of Italy, soccer players are dropping their shorts to score goals.

Catania, a team in the country’s top division, unveiled the new look while taking a free kick. The players lined up in a wall and dropped their shorts in an effort to block the goalkeeper’s vision.

Posted by: Reignking | November 17, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

FIFA should get to the bottom of this.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 17, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Agreed 270. That's asinine.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 17, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I've had nothing good to say about that picture and story all day. The good news is I found an undeleted link, hurry, look!

Posted by: DadRyan | November 17, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Oceania always has been at war with Eastasia.

Posted by: griffin1108 | November 17, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

There is at least one omission: The opening match for the women's U20 squad in Chile takes place on Wednesday. In fact, it will be televised live on BSPN2.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 18, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

What time is that on?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 18, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

It's at 1:00 p.m. Eastern. If you're not near a TV, check the FIFA and US Soccer sites for matchtrackers.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 19, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse