TV, Anyone?

England, Manchester City-Spurs 4:30 p.m. FSC
Mexico, America-Monterrey 5 p.m. Univision
Colombia, Cali-Quindio 5:30 p.m. GolTV
England, Havant-Brentford 11 p.m. FSC

By Steve Goff  |  November 7, 2008; 2:55 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Updates
Next: Soehn Officially Returns

Comments

There's never anything on.

Posted by: sitruc | November 7, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

That looks like a whole lot of choices until I realize that out of all those channels, I only get FSC and Telefutura. Still, I remember the dark days. No complaints here.

Posted by: Kenobi | November 7, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I believe that the ACC womens championship will be on Comcast Sports Net Sunday at 1pm, and re-broadcast Thursday night at 8.

Winner of UNC/BC and UVA/VT.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 7, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Thursday rebroadcast being FSC

Posted by: OWNTF | November 7, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I have a bad feeling about the Arsenal game. Just when you think they are down and out, they tend to rise to the occasion at the right time. Hopefully Man. United can get it done at the Emirates.

Come on United!!

Posted by: RedDevil1 | November 7, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Before you flip on the tube, check this out:

Posted by: joedoc1 | November 7, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Does exposure to soccer on TV turn kids into better players? I think Rand needs to devote the proper resources to this very important question.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 7, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | November 7, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Man I'm not waking up that early to watch Man U and Arse. They need to have those types of clubs play later in the day. Least I'll get to watch my Pool live. :)

Posted by: malartach | November 7, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Most ACC tournaments are available live for free online. It's part of CBS now, but it is ACC Select.

Posted by: sitruc | November 7, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

270:

Absolutely yes. It's essential. Think about your average American kid that grew up with the traditional US sports on TV. They might not be brilliant at any sport, but they all knew the basic motion of swinging a bat without looking foolish, they all knew how to throw a ball the proper way. It's learning through immersion.

When I went out for soccer for the first time, at 5 years old in 1987, I had no idea what I was supposed to do other than not pick up the ball. It took 2 or 3 seasons before I started to actually pick some things up (which is about how long it took before the coaches in my league became able to actually give advice, rather than just urge you to "hustle"). Those were seasons that could have been used learning what part of my foot to use, or that all the kids on the field didn't have to stand in a loose circle kicking the ball at each other hoping that, at some point, it would leave the circle.

Look at the halftime games we see at RFK now. The little kids out there keep some kind of formation, they don't all try to toe the ball, and they don't just follow the ball. The 5 year olds look like the 8 or 9 year olds of my youth in terms of how they play. Part of that is down to better coaching, certainly, but at least some of it has to be watching the game regularly and trying to mimic the pros.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 7, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

NCAA Men: Army 1 - Navy 0

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 7, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Apparently watching elite soccer will actually improve your chances of understanding it.
I am just beginning to figure this out myself.
I have a neighbor in my potluck group that works for Rand... Should I holler at her about this?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 8, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

People who like their musical references may be interested in this report on Indiana's win over Northwestern last night:

If this person is drafted by an MLS club, there should be some interesting headlines.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 8, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | November 8, 2008 9:15 AM

He'd be in interesting company playing with Stephen King:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | November 8, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

His bio page state this parents are Joe and Lynn. So maybe he's a nephew.

I was kidding about the TV statement. bBut I could imagine a bunch of Rand employees watching champions league matches at work and calling it research.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 8, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The women's U17 quarterfinal match (USA vs. South Korea) takes place tomorrow in New Zealand; in other words, tonight for those of us stuck in this hemisphere. The US Soccer site promises to provide play-by-play starting at 10:00 p.m. Eastern.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 8, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Frederick's own Julia Roberts is in the starting 11. The US Soccer site doesn't seem to have a matchtracker, but FIFA does. It is worth checking out, if only because of the peculiar form of English on display. Does anyone have any idea as to the likely nationality of the person who is updating this page?

Posted by: universityandpark | November 8, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

The US Soccer matchtracker is now in action. The USA is up 1-0 at the half.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 8, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Easy there, I-270. Easy...

:-)

Posted by: joedoc | November 9, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Sunday morning and the Rangers are playing. Beas is on the bench and Edu didn't dress. We'll see how it goes in the rest of the games.

Posted by: Beckster1 | November 9, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse