USA Training Camp Roster

GOALKEEPERS: Brian Edwards (Toronto FC), Troy Perkins (Valerenga IF), Matt Pickens (out of contract).
DEFENDERS: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Sean Franklin (Los Angeles Galaxy), Cory Gibbs (Colorado Rapids), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution).
MIDFIELDERS: Colin Clark (Colorado Rapids), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Nick LaBrocca (Colorado Rapids), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids).
FORWARDS: Davy Arnaud (Kansas City Wizards), Chad Barrett (Toronto FC), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas).

Remember: This is just a roster for a four-day training camp in Denver, not necessarily for the qualifier against Guatemala. Several names will be added and dropped before that official list is announced Sunday.

For full details, click here.

By Steve Goff  |  November 11, 2008; 12:39 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan in Munich
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

What? No Cooper? Oh, wait..... :)

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | November 11, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"Several names will be added and dropped" How about all of the names? This is an MLS all-star team. If our actual qualifying roster has any of these guys on it (except for Bornstein) I will be dissapointed. That said it would be pretty interesting to see this group playing in a friendly or something.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | November 11, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Cooper and Casey? No Michael Bradley? What in the name of indignancy will we complain about now?

Good to see Cory Gibbs back in the pool.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Hooray! Troy's coming! I posted about this in the other thread.

He should get his cap in this game. Pickens and Edwards are interesting choices. I wouldn't have thought of LaBrocca in a million years, but they don't pay me the big bucks. I would think that Bradley would want to look at someone other than Ching right now, but he certainly belongs. Otherwise I can't quibble with the picks. I wasn't sure that Gibbs merited this, but if his game is back up there, then definitely.

Posted by: fischy | November 11, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I think we will see a different back-up for Perkins. Either Hesmer or Busch -- although that raises an interesting question about Busch beating out Pickens....

And, either Rogers or Rolfe will be added. And maybe Chad Marshall.

Max Bretos will be greatly disappointed by the absence of Buddle's name from this list...

Posted by: fischy | November 11, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Remember when DCU had at least one player in the call-up pool? Sighs.

Posted by: griffin1108 | November 11, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Yay for Perkins!!! I really hope he gets to start against Guatemala.

As for the rest, this is just to see whats out there. Its not like we need to win this game, but it wouldn't hurt to destroy Guatemala anyway!

Posted by: kris77 | November 11, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

A little late and a lot off topic, but a big Thank You to any veterans and current members of the military who are reading this.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 11, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Edwards and LaBrocca are the 2 players that didn't cross my mind when I posted my list earlier. I'm not sure I see the wisdom in calling in either. Edwards is young, true, but if he's can't beat out Greg Sutton, then he's nowhere near even the fringe of the fringe of the national team pool. LaBrocca is a hard worker and a pretty good MLS player, but I don't think he's on the level of any of the other players on this list.

I'm disappointed that Harrington and Quaranta were left out. Harrington has been better than Bornstein, and I think Quaranta should have gotten picked over Arnaud because he's got more of a future (Arnaud has probably hit his peak as a player; Quaranta should continue to progress since he's still young).

Still, it's not a particularly offensive list as some of Bradley's previous camps have been. Obviously this group won't all be there for the game. I think Perkins, Bornstein, Moor, Gibbs, Parkhurst, both Clarks, Kljestan, Mastroeni, Casey, Ching, and Cooper will be retained for the post-playoff camp. Parkhurst and Mastroeni will probably pop up a lot in this offseason, since both are at least considering a move to Europe. Granted, they probably would have been called in anyway, but we might see more of them actually getting minutes as a showcase to foreign clubs.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | November 11, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Remember when DCU had at least one player in the call-up pool? Sighs.

Posted by: griffin1108 | November 11, 2008 1:04 PM
-------------------------------------------------

You know, I was just thinking, "How many US roster's have their been since DC United sent a representative?

The last United rep I can think of was Ben Olsen for Copa America.

The other disappointing thought is that United really hasn't had young US prospect in quite some time.

The current United players with US Caps are Olsen, Namoff, Quaranta, and (I guess) Simms. Is there anyone else I'm missing?

Of those names, Quaranta has the best shot (given his age) to gaining another cap, but what will it take for Bradley/Nowak to give him another chance (assuming he earns it)?

Posted by: TCompton | November 11, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised that Bradley passed up the chance to cap-tie Perkins, along with Torres, last month. (Norskoid rumblings have been coming from Perkins' corner.)

Posted by: universityandpark | November 11, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

roger that 270

curious . . . what are the military soccer teams like? do they play service rivalry games? mens & womens? is there a world cup for military teams? if so, I like the North Koreans' odds . . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | November 11, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Frank Rijkaard world class coach for a number one USA soccer team "DCUnited". we need the change; there is the talent in our young guys; we need just a good soccer director.

Posted by: OrlandoGator | November 11, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

A documentary about Pele that was shown at Filmfest DC a couple of years ago mentioned that he played on such a side during his brief stint in the military in the early 1960s, including participation in a sort of Copa America for the armed services of South American countries. I don't know whether that continues to this day.

Posted by: universityandpark | November 11, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

OrlandoGator is totally my new favorite poster.

Good call I-270. Thank you veterans indeed.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Man, BB isn't shy about calling in the C side when the game isn't a must win. Should be interesting to see some of these guys out there. I wonder who else will be added?

Personally, I think it's a good move by BB. I've grown to like him less, because of our ultra-conservative style of play under his direction, but I have appreciated the fresh faces he's called into camps pretty regularly. These guys who are getting a chance to play for their country have got to be loving it. Good stuff.

Posted by: Matte | November 11, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@Chest -- No one digs Tino's grit and energy more than me, but Arnaud shows much better skill and accuracy right now.

I do think that Harrington's omission is unfortunate, but he will get his look in due time.

It should be no shock to anyone that DC United has no one on the list. At least, the team was able to develop Perkins -- turning him from the scrap-heap to a national team player. Simpson's work with Wells hasn't been to his credit, but Perkins' rise is a big feather in Mark's cap -- as well as the product of Troy's hard work. With Howard, Guzan and Perkins, the US has a deep crew for years to come.

As for the future, I don't see anyone on the DCU roster getting a look with the national team. On the other hand, as I keep pointing out, DC United has a bunch of picks this year -- four picks in the first 2 rounds. Hope springs eternal.

Posted by: fischy | November 11, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Frank Rijkaard? I guess there's nothing wrong with having an impossible wish list.

Posted by: fischy | November 11, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"8 of Arsenal's starting 11 are teenagers."

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Edwards and LaBrocca are both new names to me - maybe my soccer addiction isn't as bad as the doctor said?

What about Holden? And is Movsisyan on anyone's radar? Nice to see Moor and Cooper get a call.

Looking forward to next Wednesday.

Posted by: eadc | November 11, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF. As far as the academies go, Army men and women both beat Navy this weekend. I think that both scores were 1-0. The men's match is called the Star Match and, according to the FSC guys, the winner gets to wear a star for a year.

The women's team won the Patriot League and are headed to the NCAAs where they'll face Virginia (I had to look this up)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 11, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks 270, I am one of those few who actually follow the Patriot League. I even read Feinstein's book about Patriot League basketball -- almost all if it anyway.

I was thinking of the teams from the services themselves, though, not the academies. I've seen reference to service teams here and there, but don't know much about them, where they draw players from, who they play, etc. Maybe DCU should be recruiting from the Army Ranger team. We need a center back who can search and destroy.

Posted by: OWNTF | November 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Cool to see Edwards getting called in, didn't notice that before. Liked what he did for Wake Forest and am curious about his progress.
Some nice goals in the Arsenal/Wigan match. Silly me thinking Walcott is the only youngster with wheels on Arsenal.

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to our veterans today, for without them, we would not have glorious memories of Earnie Stewart and Tom Dooley in our ranks. Most direct connection I could think of to American soccer.

Posted by: IamAM | November 11, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Matt Pickens (out of contract).
By Steve Goff | November 11, 2008; 12:39 PM ET

Any way Kevin Payne could rectify this situation? It gets Pickens a contract and DC a player in camp.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | November 11, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Any chance that Ben Olsen was in LA filming an episode of this thing?:

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe Donovan won the player of the year award again...

Posted by: Reignking | November 11, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Re: Military teams.

In the Marine Corps there is the "All-Marine" team, which is the best soccer players throughout the Corps. It isn't a stretch to say that some of them are MLS quality.

Then you have base teams, Camp Pendleton, Camp Lejeune, etc.

Then you have teams representing individual battalions and in some cases, companies.

I'd imagine the same is true for Army, Navy, and Air Force.

Posted by: alecw81 | November 11, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but I can't wait for this to happened in 2018. Let's root for the early bid.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | November 11, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matte | November 11, 2008 2:24 PM
--------------------------------------------

C is generous...I'm thinking D or F...

Posted by: edgeonyou | November 11, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Unlikely that Pickens will wind up in MLS, since Chicago has his rights.

Posted by: fischy | November 11, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

edwards wasn't exactly a favorite of the staff and his teammates but he was a heck of a keeper at wake. i don't know if he's ready for international comp. but it doesn't hurt getting a young, athletic guy some experience with the big boys.

Posted by: akdeac31 | November 11, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Conor Casey getting a chance.He was a hot prospect and had done well in GER until his knee injury in an int'l.He has been scoring goals for COL and has the one-touch skills lacking in Ching and Cooper.Not sure though if he is all the way back.
Coach Peter

Posted by: bechtoldpk | November 11, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I said it after the first Guatemala match: I want to see Matt Reis in goal so we can point him to Ruiz and say "Alecko him."

Posted by: Hokienautic | November 11, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Bradley shows some surprises!

He must be taken after Obama with the change motif and all . . . . and much like Barack, we'll see about results . . . but I'm hopeful

My 11:

Perkins gets the start!

Moor, Parkhurst, Gibbs, Bornstein
Clark, Clark, Mastroeni, Klestan
Ching, Cooper

Posted by: delantero | November 11, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: akdeac31 | November 11, 2008 8:20 PM

What exactly made him so unpopular?

Posted by: DadRyan | November 11, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

An article of possible interest to the DC United executive committee and training staff:

Posted by: Ron16 | November 12, 2008 6:33 AM | Report abuse

going out on a limb here but think that Bradley may bring in Convey (who is certainly better than this lot) based on how the Reading web site has referred to him as an international twice in the last few days....despite all of his injuries and lack of playing time, I still think he is our best option at left wing behind Beasley

Posted by: Beckster1 | November 12, 2008 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey I-270: You are welcome. It is my honor and privilege to serve you and all Americans.

Posted by: dcarmy | November 12, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Another Gibbs in the News...

Former Wolfpack goalkeeper soon to be our White House Press Secretary. Goff, maybe you should be attending the press conferences.

"The son of two Auburn University librarians, Gibbs got his first exposure to politics when his mother took him to voter registration drives. A political science major at North Carolina State University, Gibbs was also a goalie for the Wolfpack soccer team, though he admits that his playing time amounted to less than 45 minutes. "

Posted by: Southeasterner | November 12, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Auburn has a library? I guess they have to keep the Jeff Foxworthy joke books and the NASCAR coloring books somewhere.

A little intra-SEC ribbing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | November 12, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse