2009 Is Here

MLS is planning to announce the opening matches of the 2009 regular season Tuesday afternoon. With 15 teams in the league next year, one club will sit out the first weekend (March 21-22). The lucky winner is: Real Salt Lake.

By Steve Goff  |  December 1, 2008; 8:49 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Player Watch
Next: Columbus Day

Comments

With a soccer fan in the WH, do we get a Presidential First Kick?

Posted by: IamAM | December 1, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

With 15 teams in the league, that means 28 matches in a single tab... sorry. What was I thinking?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 1, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Please please have a game at RFK that weekend. This long withdrawal is killing me.

Posted by: Pedalada | December 1, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

What would be really sweet is if DCU gets scheduled to visit the Sounders before my daughter turns 2:-)
We are really due up for a visit.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 2, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

If Henry moves to RBNY you would think it would come after the euro season is completed, but maybe there is something in the works to have Henry kick off the season vs. his former Arsenal teammate Ljungberg.

Posted by: la2stl | December 2, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

At 12:38am Tuesday, Bloomberg News had a report about Barcelona's Miami bid. The report had a three-second mention of Montreal being one of the ownership groups competing for an MLS team, but the report was cut short by a commercial.

Things that make ya go, HMMMMM...

Posted by: Juan-John | December 2, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Bloomberg quoted Barca CEO Joan Oliver in the interview.

Posted by: Juan-John | December 2, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

We are really due up for a visit.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 2, 2008 12:08 AM
===============

I'm planning to be in the Emerald City in May and again in July (for work). I hope that DC visits when I do. Even if DC doens't visit, I'll try to catch a game. I hear the food at Qwest is not bad.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 2, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

So a team with its own stadium gets the "bye" first week, while some team that shares will probably have to have a Wednesday or Thursday game to accommodate its more important stadium tenant.
Brilliant as usual :)

Posted by: dcufan | December 2, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Brilliant as usual :)

Posted by: dcufan | December 2, 2008 10:11 AM
_________________________________________

If RSL didn't get a bye this particular weekend, it would have to get one some other weekend, with the same effect on other teams, so I don't see your point.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 2, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I-270: The food at Qwest isn't bad, but it's no Safeco field:-)
The Asian grocery store (Uwajimaya) across the street from Qwest is easily in my top 5 of all time when it comes to picking up choice cuts of meat for the grill, fresh fish including sashimi and sushi to go, not to mention plenty of tasty beers and snacks from Japan, China, etc.
Seattle's international district is the real deal, and if you're looking for a more Americanized menu, Pioneer Square has got it all.

Qwest easily puts RFK to shame, but the beauty of the Seattle Stadiums' location is their proximity to great food and fun parts of downtown.
Hey maybe we'll end up at the same tailgate way out west:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 2, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

According to my ticket rep, the first game at RFK looks like it will be 3/28.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | December 2, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Real Salt Lake has the All Star Game next year so that maybe why they are not part of opening weekend.

Posted by: barryt0716 | December 2, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse