A Year of Memories

Still to come: The worst storylines in 2008.

By Steve Goff  |  December 8, 2008; 8:17 PM ET
Categories:  Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Updates
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

Has to be USL given the "crash and burn" of all the MLS teams other than Houston. Puerto Rico and Montreal are overperforming -- consistently -- and should get recognition for their efforts. Or, put another way, what of all the stories listed was the most improbable at the start of the year? Only Columbus winning MLS Cup is even close.

Posted by: griffin1108 | December 8, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

The USL performance in CCL is definitely a great story. But I voted for the WPS. Any word on how ticket sales are going? If they can make it in this economy, they can make it anytime. The one bad thing is the crazy team names they are choosing (our home team not included of course). But everything else is great progress.

Posted by: Pedalada | December 8, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Other: Hull City FC and Hoffenheim.

I couldn't care less about WPS, the Crew winning the Cup, USL teams performing better in groups with much weaker competition than their MLS counterparts, or new American's moving overseas.

Posted by: alecw81 | December 8, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Other: Egypt winning the African Cup of Nations

This tournament was easily the most entertaining soccer I saw all year, with no letdown at all in the knockout stages. Fun stuff!

Posted by: edgeonyou | December 8, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

USA woemn beating Brazil and taking home the gold.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 8, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Other:
The US National Teams return to RFK.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 8, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I voted for the Gold the ladies won while I was vacationing in the Outer Banks. Cool summer memories:-)

Personally I really enjoyed United's run in June reaching it's pinnacle with the @$$ whipping of LA as the early matinee to the big Euro show.

Going alone to the US Open Cup final ranks high as well.

As 270 mentioned the WCQ at RFK was an awesome one as well.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 8, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Other: Hoffenheim.

Their rise to the top of the Bundesliga has warmed the cockles of my heart.

Posted by: Auzi | December 8, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

My favorite story of the year was the improbable success of DC United. They dismantled last year's dominant Supporters' Shield winning side. Many doubted the large number of new players -- a motley assortment of bench-warmers, second division players and has-beens -- could jell and produce similar results. However, the front office's confidence in the new "talent" was rewarded with an unforgettable, hard-fought U.S. Open Cup triumph over the formidable Charleston Battery, witnessed by 5,000 delirious supporters in United's gleaming new VW Arena.

Posted by: fischy | December 9, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Oops. My bad. Worst storylines is for tomorrow's post....

Posted by: fischy | December 9, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Fast forward to best storylines of 2017. DC United capped off their heroic first season in the new Barry Farms' stadium, with their first league championship in more than a decade. General Manager Steven Goff put together a formidable team led by a number of DC United draftees that had spurned the team to cut their teeth in Europe. Freddy Adu earned the league's MVP award. Midfield mates Bryan Arguez and Andrew Jacobson also earned all-star honors. Jay Needham anchored a strong back line. And Luis Robles was the MLS' goalkeeper of the year.

Posted by: fischy | December 9, 2008 1:59 AM | Report abuse

And, of course, much credit for the title has to go to first year head coach Jaime Moreno, who held the team together, despite the tragedy that occurred during the team's final home game at RFK -- when Dan Snyder's wreckers began collapsing the stadium 36 hours ahead of schedule, due to a clerical error. The players dedicated the rest of the season to the brave souls of the Barra Brava who sang until the very end, refusing to leave their seats despite the continuous rain of concrete and steel.

Posted by: fischy | December 9, 2008 2:11 AM | Report abuse

!!!
From Marca -- Schuster out, Juande Ramos in right before the gave v Barca.

Posted by: Reignking | December 9, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

This thread may be a bit premature. I would have waited at least until after this weekend. There may or may not be one more great story, depending on how things unfold at the College Cup in Frisco. Just out of curiosity, is beating two teams back to back by the combined score of 12-0 unprecedented in NCAA Division I postseason play?

Posted by: universityandpark | December 9, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

An additional thought: No matter which of the four teams wins this weekend, you will have a great story, It will just be a different great story under each scenario.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 9, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

College soccer bigger than any of those? Never.

Posted by: Reignking | December 9, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

College soccer bigger than any of those? Never.
__________________________________________

Goff's question was not which of these events was bigger than the others. It was which event produced your favorite storyline. Most of us are responding to Goff's question.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 9, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see ESPN broadcasting one of the last meaningful matches of the group stage today. It would be nice to see one of the Spanish or Italian clubs as the feature one of these days wouldn't it?
I know Manchester United is the reining champ and all but does anyone else get tired of seeing them every matchday?
They're like the Boston Red Socks of football. Ugghhhh.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 9, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Man, what a crap year! :-)

Hull City is a good shout alecw81. Fourth tier just 4 years ago, promoted to top flight for first time ever last spring, now 6th in the Premier League. And what a great goal to win the playoff final last May.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 9, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

They're like the Boston Red Socks of football. Ugghhhh.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 9, 2008 9:46 AM

Big English clubs = ratings in America. Them's the breaks. I'd prefer to see Barca try and outscore the Redskins today myself ;-) (can be seen on Deportes though)

Posted by: Kev29 | December 9, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

As a fire fan, still had to hand it to Columbus. Great 2008 run.

Posted by: JasonSparks | December 9, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya Kev29.
A little variety would be nice though, especially on the most common channel. I don't get Deportes.
What am I talking about anyway, I'll probably have 2 or 3 live feeds running on the computer while I'll have the Chelsea game erupting from my TV:-)
I love throwing open the windows, turning up the stereo, and tappin' the mini-Heine keg just like the commercials....;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 9, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Really favorite 2008 memories: taking my 6-year old to two games @RFK. Watching him watch two of his favorite players (Adu and Moreno) each contribute assists shortly after coming on as subs. Definitely my favorite memories.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 9, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Other: Watching the Terps return to the College Cup riding a 14 game winning streak! Go Maryland!

Posted by: TerpPhysicist | December 9, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Other:

berbatov joining man u.

Posted by: hoyasaxadc | December 9, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Vamos EspaƱa! Viva la Furia Roja!

It's about time Spain lived up to its potential. Fortunately, they won the tournament without sacrificing their fluid attacking style. The team is also going strong in WC 2010 qualifying. Let's hope the good form (and good luck) continues.

Posted by: SSMD1 | December 9, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Other: Gotta be the return of the eQuakes. Curse those handsome devils!

Posted by: sobugged1 | December 9, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse