Alston, Cooper and Appiah

[UPDATED WITH WAKE INFO]

*The Insider has learned that junior Kevin Alston, an outside defender from Indiana who was a Big Ten first-team selection, has agreed to a Generation Adidas contract with MLS and will be available in the Jan. 15 draft. He is from Silver Spring, Md., attended Good Counsel High School and played for the USA in the Under-17 World Cup in 2005. Indiana announced Monday he was leaving school early. Alston has signed with mega-agency Wasserman Media Group.

*I'm hearing that MLS is seeking at least $4 million for FC Dallas forward Kenny Cooper. One potential suitor, German club Eintracht Frankfurt, decided to move on and sign another foreign forward.

*In case you haven't gotten enough Stephen Appiah news, Spurs is now actively pursuing the Ghana midfielder. Also, in the latest issue, England-based FourFourTwo magazine named him one of the top 10 targets among current or near-future free agents. Others on the list included Newcastle's Michael Owen, West Ham's Lucas Neill, Wigan's Emile Heskey and former Brazilian star Ronaldo.

Discuss.

UPDATE: Wake Forest midfielder Michael Lahoud, who was attracting interest from Germany, is on the brink of signing with MLS -- "99 percent he will soon sign it," one of his contacts said. I'm also hearing that teammates Marcus Tracy and Sam Cronin, fellow seniors projected to go in the first round, are on the verge of agreeing to deals with the league.

By Steve Goff  |  December 23, 2008; 12:07 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , England , Germany , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marshall's Status
Next: Happy Holidays

Comments

Didn't Ronaldo sign with Corinthians a little while back?

Posted by: PEddy | December 23, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

89 days to the first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | December 23, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Disappointed about Cooper. I really wanted him to find a nice home overseas.

Posted by: strago | December 23, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Even though Cooper is worth every bit of the 4 million asking price, doesnt anyone see that MLS doesnt want exciting players to leave cause it might just kill the game for them. I mean give the man a chnace to get picked up by someone. Not every Eurpean team wants an American on their side but they would like to have one but at a smaller price because there have been many that flop and I guess they dont want to run the risk. Not saying Cooper will but still.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | December 23, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd still rather have Bare.

Or Ryan Nelsen.

Posted by: B_A_ | December 23, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I think United could use a good, young left back. Maybe Alston will end up here.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 23, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I am no financial genius (said the wife), but with the pound trading 50p lower against the dollar and the euro down from 1.55 to the mid 1.30's, is it more expensive for a European team to buy an American player right now.

For instance, Altidore was sold for $10m in June when the Euro was trading at the highest it has been against the dollar, roughly 6.3m euros. If he had been sold now, wouldn't he cost closer to 7.2m euros?

A million euros is not an insignificant amount of money.

Posted by: IamAM | December 23, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | December 23, 2008 12:45 PM
___________________________________
I don't think the price will be a dealbreaker: with the recent devaluation, $4M is less than 2.7M Euros, which for a 24 year old striker is peanuts on the world transfer market. I would think another German club would step up to that fee.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | December 23, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Man I am dying to see kenny cooper return to europe. He will not develop if he stays with Dallas or any other MLS club for that matter. he is a rare combo of size/strength and finesse. The English game might be a little too fast for him, could be an interesting player on a mid-table spanish club.

And yes Ronaldo signed last week I believe for Corinthians of Brazil.

Posted by: wrcarlson | December 23, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Is it true that "Appiah" in Spanish is "Veron"?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 23, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

--------------------...
right...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 23, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The Appiah situation makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

MLS is within their rights to ask for $4 million for Cooper. Compared to their past valuations of players, that might even be a touch conservative. However, if they are going to play hardball with interested Euro clubs, they should be willing to give Cooper a real contract offer. If Donovan was worth just short of a million last year, then Cooper merits something over the DP threshold. Dallas keeps fishing for foreign DPs, but I think they'd be better off trying to have an American DP instead. Cooper and his father have both said that it's not Europe or bust at this point; if MLS gives him a real offer, they could possibly keep a good American around (something that isn't happening too often in recent months).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 23, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Appiah's in the Top 10 worldwide free agent list? I swear I heard somewhere that he's not a very good player, as evidenced by his moving around. Besides, DC has no use for him....Or, so I've heard....If Spurs are interested, Harry Redknapp must be a bad judge of talent.

Posted by: fischy | December 23, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"I have truly not heard this particular rumour about the MLS. I have been linked to all the clubs in the world but this one makes me laugh very loud," Appiah told Ghanasoccernet.

Posted by: ncguy | December 24, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the 2009 draft class could be one of the best in years. Might be a really good year for us to have two first rounders!

Posted by: DCUMD | December 28, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse