Arguez, U-20 Issues

Midfielder Bryan Arguez, whose career has stalled since signing with MLS two years ago and then moving from D.C. United to Bundesliga club Hertha Berlin last winter, was among four players dismissed from the recent USA under-20 national team training camp in Florida for unspecified disciplinary reasons.

None of the four individuals played in friendlies against Haiti and Canada. The identities of the other three players could not be determined at this time. All will remain in the player pool and be considered for future camps and matches.

This was the latest strange chapter in Arguez's career. Last winter, after the Miami-raised player trained informally with Hertha during the MLS offseason, United was stunned to receive a formal transfer offer. United was quick to accept the $350,000 deal -- a nice financial pickup in exchange for a player whose questionable work habits had undermined his rookie season.

Arguez, who is under contract with Hertha through the 2009-10 season, has also had a number of off-field issues and fitness problems in Germany and has made just one appearance for Hertha's first team.

By Steve Goff  |  December 31, 2008; 11:40 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Germany , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Updates
Next: Mapping Out the Future

Comments

Is he staying up late playing video games, or is he trying to be the Pac Man Jones of this football?
Any idea what the nature of his off-field issues are?
Thanks Steve!
Happy New Year!

Posted by: DadRyan | December 31, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Everytime I think I can stop checking this site for updates when you're on vacation, you just suck me right back in. SI is like a drug, senor Goff. I am addicted. I need help!

Keep up the fantastic work and Happy Holidays!

Posted by: strago | December 31, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Happy New Year Mr. Goff, and his readers :-)

Posted by: dcufan | December 31, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Berlin is a cool place for "off-field issues"

Happy New Year Steve!

Posted by: Kev29 | December 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I feel like we've read a fair amount about Bryan Arguez and this is the first time I've heard about disciplinary issues or questionable work habits. Wasn't it just a year ago when we were wondering how a first round draft pick played in exactly zero games his rookie season and then gets picked up by a First Division Bundesliga team? I guess we have an answer to the first part of that question now. Looks like Bundesliga teams have a tough time scouting too...

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | December 31, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Disciplinary issues have started cropping up now more often than I can remember at the U-17 level and U-20 level. I know kids will be kids, but this is getting disappointing. These kids are going to an international tournament representing the entire country. Many of the U-20s are 'professional' players. Do they not understand professionalism? Looks like that needs to be more of a focus in their education at the U-17 level or indoctrination at the U-20 level.

These kids need to get serious and start performing, otherwise their careers are going nowhere and they'll just be a bunch of losers. Arguez needs to get his butt kicked out of the U-20s until he can make some progress for his club team, if he's not going to put in 150% effort at call-ups.

There are kids out there that would die for these call-ups and here we have kids who don't give a sh*t about them.

Disgusting

Posted by: Eugene7 | December 31, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

It's not like our youth teams are legions of well-educated college players like they were in the 1980's. Some of them barely made it out of high school. I think this is the double-edged sword that if you are going to start pulling soccer players out of school younger and younger and putting them in more pressurized 'professional' situations, it's 50-50 that they are going to act like a 19-yr old. A group of teenagers with an inflated sense of themselves... always chaos waiting to happen, doesn't matter if it's soccer, basketball or pointyball.

Posted by: IamAM | December 31, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Arguez, give me a call.

Tino

Posted by: delantero | December 31, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The disciplinary issues are going to happen everywhere. Look at Ronaldo, Adriano, and Gerrard.

For every bad kid, there are 20 good ones that go unnoticed and are complete professionals.

Posted by: strago | December 31, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Let me tell you something about Ronaldo, Adriano, and Gerrard. They don't suck. They have also proven themselves playing on the first teams of major clubs and for their full national teams.

Posted by: Eugene7 | December 31, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

well, I can't comment on what just happened in the camp, but when he came to Portugal last year with a U-19 team he trained hard, played well, and was a great representative of his country. hopefully he'll start doing that again.

Posted by: troy6 | December 31, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Gophino:

You really do a tremendous disservice to all soccer fanatics --like us== who live, breathe, sleep and awake to soccer...

Please, try to stick to your Washington Post desk and NEVER, NEVER go on vacation again.

Of course, we're kidding. Congratulations and may 2009 be even a greater year for you and your loved ones.

Efren Palacios
Texas Soccer Republic

Posted by: EFREN95 | December 31, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

When I was his age, I had already gotten fired from McDonalds, had seven W-2's in one year, and although I have never gotten a DUI I did learn the hard way with alcohol a few times. It's hard to ask these kids to be professionals at an age where a lot of us couldn't have done it either.

Posted by: bdwooton | January 1, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | December 31, 2008 1:34 PM

I remember there being two sides to that argument a year or so ago. One side said that DCU must have been underutilizing a player who was good enough to get picked up by a Bundesliga team.

But there were also some of us who thought it was Hertha making the mistake because Arguez has always seemed to be just another physically gifted guy without a whole lot of football sense. And maybe not a whole lot of common sense either? There were definitely signs of questionable work habits when he was in DC too.

Posted by: DCUMD | January 1, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

IamAM, you're right on the ball on this topic.

It's just a shame to hear about gifted players like Carlos Martinez, who got booted off the U-17 team, make such mistakes.

Posted by: billindmd | January 2, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bdwooton | January 1, 2009 10:42 AM
=================

I agree with this a little. But, when you were at his age, McDonald's was not your dream job and you were making minimum wage. His situation is not the same. Unfortunately, if you get "fired" from a few professional teams, you develop a reputation that is near impossible to erase.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 2, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how your blog relates to Arguez's work habits and his off-the-field conduct. All I see is that he played bad in one reserve game and the rest is speculation based upon his gameday roster status. I don't doubt that Arguez may have these issues, I just think it's interesting that they're coming out now.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | January 2, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse