DeRo to Toronto

Houston has dealt star midfielder Dwayne De Rosario to Toronto for young defender Julius James and allocation money, the clubs announced this afternoon. De Rosario, from Ontario, has been marked for a move to TFC for a couple years. The Dynamo must have a foreign player lined up to replace De Rosario in the lineup. For a closer look at his splendid career, click here. As a rookie this year, James made 13 league appearances with 10 starts and one goal. With Bobby Boswell out of contract and possibly leaving for Europe, James will provide depth on the backline.

Whatcha think of this one?

By Steve Goff  |  December 12, 2008; 4:08 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Total Toluca
Next: Matchnight: College Cup

Comments

Finally! Every five minutes I feel like we've heard "D Ro to Toronto, D Ro to Toronto." He wasn't that hot this year with Houston, so let's see what he does playing in the Great White North.

Posted by: Modibo | December 12, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Never thought Houston would part with DeRo except to sell him to a Euro club.

They've got to have a plan to use the DP slot.

I wonder who TFC will get rid of. Guevara?

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | December 12, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

wow...
never expect Houston to deal him away..to TORONTO but I guess thats how the cookie crumbles lol

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | December 12, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I had a feeling that was coming. There was something on the grapevine recently about how badly DeRo wanted to go to Toronto. That's why I qualified my remark the other day about how the Dynamo would stack up against the Mexican side.

I think Houston has done a good thing -- by DeRo. And they made out OK in getting James, who will be one of the best defenders in his age cohort. But, the Dynamo have dropped a whole lot of offense, They're going to have to jump feet first into the market for a talented midfielder. Any chance they'd want Marcelo Gallardo? He'd be a couple of hours closer to home....

Posted by: fischy | December 12, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Boswell heading to Europe?! On vacation, maybe...

I bet DeRo helps Toronto sell some season tickets. Oh, wait...

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 12, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Hard enough to find talent at MLS prices, harder still to get out of them what DeRo gave Dynamo.

Posted by: JkR- | December 12, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you sure brightened my day with the "Boswell to Europe" comment. DO Europeans know something we don't? That was perhaps the most comical thing I have heard on here in a year!

Posted by: therealfootball | December 12, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

1. Houston has been a team with tremendous stability, little turnover of key pieces. And now it's obvious they're going through a makeover. It should be interesting--it should give an indication of how much their success is due to talent spotting and how much is due to continuity.

2. I wonder if DeRo becomes TFC's DP? And yeah, I wonder what happens to Guevara. I guess DeRo could play withdrawn forward but that's not something he's been eager to do.

Posted by: JoeW1 | December 12, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

For those of you laughing at the "Boswell to Europe" thing, don't forget the appeal of the Nordic leagues to mid-level MLS players. Boswell could easily latch on with a team in Denmark or Norway, make twice as much money, and pull a boatload of fine-looking Scandinavian ladies with the whole "I'm a foreign footballer" approach.

Posted by: Kenobi | December 12, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why some of you are surprised at the Boswell to Europe talk. He turned down a new contract with DC after he won defender of the year specifically because he wanted to keep his European options open. It wouldn't be a shock at all if he ended up in Norway or Denmark.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | December 12, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Boswell would do just fine on the second tier in Europe -- Sweden, Denmark, Norway, etc.

Posted by: Steve Goff | December 12, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

When DCU failed to make the play-offs in 2000, they traveled after the season to El Salvador to play a couple of friendlies as part of the Kevin Payne-as-Jimmy Carter house building tour (actually it was more bridge-building as even three years later KP was still smarting from the reaction from the local Salvadoreans re the RDA trade). A player brought on this trip was a little known member of the A-League's Toronto to try out. His name was Dwayne Derosario. Rongen decided he didn't think he was good enough to play in MLS. However, the DCU assistant coach at the time and on the trip, fellow Canadian Frank Yallop apparently disagreed. Shortly after this trip, Yallop was appointed head coach if San Jose and one of his first moves to was acquire DeRosario. What would DCU have been like with DeRo? I'll let you all decide; but the history of bad personnel decisions at DCU didn't start with the present management team.

Posted by: lgm6986 | December 12, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- |

Agreed. Not that it's a bad move for Houston per se but I think this will lower Houston's play in the near term - as United fan that's music to my ears given their recent dominance. i.e.- one hurdle to a Cup lowered a wee bit.

Posted by: KireDCU | December 12, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I think it is a bad move by Houston because they could have got more and nobody in Toronto would have complained. They could have got Got Johan Smith & Julius James and a 1st round drfaft pick and people wouldn't complain. Getting Julius and some cash is a bad move.

Posted by: zoran1 | December 12, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

My first reaction to reading Goff's post wasn't, "Good fer TFC," it was: "Houston, ARE YOU NUTS?!?!?"

Posted by: Juan-John | December 12, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I suppose this also puts a crimp in Houston's 2009 CCL ambitions, doesn't it?

Posted by: Juan-John | December 12, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Best Post EVER!
I turn my back to host 4 families with a grand total of 7 children including my own to an incredible pistou white bean soup and oven toasted ham and cheese on french bread dinner to find this awe inspiring thread.(that equals 17 people fyi...)
Dynamo can lose players like crazy and I bet they'll still do fine. There are nothing but winners in their team.

Calgon take me away.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 13, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Nice update as always, but I am mystified by the "foreign player lined up to replace DeRo" comment.

It seems to me they've decided to go with Stuart Holden in the middle. Frankly, with DeRo's lagging production this year (7 g/2 a, 2 Pk's) and last, and his desire to go home to Toronto, this trade makes a lot of sense. Holden will produce more Assists, and likely more goals from the run of play (5).

Dynamo mid will be: Mullan, Holden, Clark, Davis. With Ashe and Cameron on the bench.

The international player will be the forward to pair with Ching.

Posted by: TrueCrew | December 13, 2008 3:48 AM | Report abuse

The international player will be the forward to pair with Ching.

Posted by: TrueCrew | December 13, 2008 3:49 AM | Report abuse

TrueCrew, thank you for remembering Holden. I am a little surprised no one else did. He's not quite DeRosario, but he's a very good MLS starter whose time has come. His seeing regular time will benefit his national team chances, which in turn will benefit the national team. I think that, with a season or two of getting 90 minutes regularly, he can be as good or better than Kljestan (whose first touch is still dubious). It would be nice to know how much cash exchanged hands, but then wouldn't it always?

Like TrueCrew says, the cleared cap room will probably go towards a forward partner for Ching (which, if they choose wisely, will soften the learning curve for Holden). James will compete with Ianni to partner Robinson, unless Houston has some cash left over to get someone better. The potential loss of Boswell is a much bigger problem for the Dynamo than replacing DeRosario. Ianni and James both would have been right at home in our central defense this season, if you catch my drift. If Houston can't do better than those two (or Cameron, who play center back, keeper, left field, free safety, and is a pretty good checking line winger), their defense will be nowhere near the difficult proposition it has been.

For Toronto, DeRosario is a no-brainer. He's a star for Canada, and he plays exactly the role they need the most help at. Guevara was mediocre for all but a couple games this season, and TFC will do well to ship him back to Honduras and use the money to improve their defense and forwards. If they can keep Wynne and improve on 2 out of Sutton, Velez, Johann Smith, and a partner for Barrett (who, as much as he's mocked, has managed 8 goals in the past 2 seasons and should keep improving), they'll be trouble.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 13, 2008 5:41 AM | Report abuse

I had thought of calling Holden a super sub last night but figured I might get laughed at. He takes some hard knocks and keeps coming back, and I swear every game I saw him come into toward the end of the season he made a difference. Mostly by scoring goals.
Like a couple folks pointed out they can afford to lose DeRo, he wasn't all that hot last year.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 13, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

DeRo rules. That is all.

Posted by: EdTheRed | December 13, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

DeRo saw De La Hoya's last fight. That was enough for him.

Posted by: Hoost | December 13, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

DeRo saw De La Hoya's last fight. That was enough for him.

Posted by: Hoost | December 13, 2008 11:36 AM

Ha!

Posted by: DadRyan | December 13, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

thought that Dude refused to play on any sort of astroturf... If I recall correctly, he really criticized the CSA and MLSE for deciding to use artificial turf.

I think that it was rumored that Mo Johnston wanted to use part of the proceeds from sell Edu to Rangers to replace the turf but I didn't put too much stock in that.

For me, this is still a real surprise...

Posted by: yankiboy | December 15, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse