Diving Exhibition

This Colombian match video is making its rounds of the Internet machine. Thanks to Insider loyalists and the Force for sharing it.

Who's worse: The player for attempting it or the referee for calling it?

By Steve Goff  |  December 3, 2008; 5:34 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

Any man worthy of the name would have gently passed the ball to the goalkeeper, acknowledging the cheating for what it was. Disgraceful.

OK, I'm slipping back into my own little world now...

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 3, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I win here, too.

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Want to know the worst part? Try pausing it and see if you don't agree with me -- He was offsides.

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Offside -- whatever.

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

The worst part is that the asst. ref had a clear view of both the dive and the offside. I wonder if there was heavier than normal betting on this match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 3, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Lol. Hilarious video. Appropriate background music...

Posted by: redskinsux | December 3, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I smell fix....

Posted by: targetmedia | December 3, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Second on the betting. You have to respect the player for having the audacity to try that, but there is no way the referee legitimately fell for it. It looks like he was staring at the diver the whole time!

Posted by: philofutbol | December 3, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

"You have to respect the player for having the audacity to try that...

Posted by: philofutbol | December 3, 2008 6:07 PM "

No, we don't have to respect that. Not at all.

Posted by: Modibo | December 3, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I looked in the rule book to see whether this is legal and came up with this...

In the court ruling US vs. Fishbine, a man subjected to potential incineration while wearing another man's suit is entitled to $10,000 worth of airline tickets. It's an obscure ruling, but a very important one to me.

Posted by: IamAM | December 3, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Goff, that was the most amazing video you've had on this blog, ever.

Posted by: sitruc | December 3, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

The dive was terrible; the ref was terrible. But what is disgraceful is the jerk who scored the goal and celebrated it. Any decent human being would of realized the cheat and missed the penalty. Instead he steps up to the spot and nails it. Surprised the opposing players didn't knock him out. Maybe I do smell a fix!!

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | December 3, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff,
The answer to your question is: Yes

Posted by: dcufan | December 3, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

@MichaelVann7 and Joe Doc
RE: the PK taker

When a Colombian drug lord bets on your team to win, you do not, I repeat NOT, disappoint him.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 3, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

How much does it cost to fix a match in Colombia?

Posted by: Eugene7 | December 3, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I love soccer, but stuff like this makes me want to watch televised poker instead. This makes the entire game look really bad. FIFA needs to suspend the ref, the AR, and the player for a long time.

Posted by: bdwooton | December 3, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Scandalous. But he could have easily scored if he had stayed on his feet and taken the pass, I'm not sure why the dive was necessary.

Posted by: pimpdaddy2000 | December 3, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Watching the Man City PSG match and the advert boards keep showing Redskins...

I've looked on Google for that name associated with the UK or England and all I can find is a paintball team and a hockey team. I really doubt they'd be advertising at a UEFA Cup game. No food association.

Any ideas? It certainly can't be our Redskins.

Posted by: seahawkdad | December 3, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Peanuts, perhaps?

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

LOL at the background music.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | December 3, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

you sure you don't mean the band? Neither Washington nor Moscow was obscurely seminal...

I think it is really a type of potato crisp, if my memory serves.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | December 3, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Please stop with the fixation as to whether the term should be "offside" or "offsides". Though "offside" may be the term in the rule book, the fact is both terms are used by english speaking soccer players, coaches, and announcers all over the world. You hear "offsides" all the time from all these sources in UEFA Champions league matches all the time. Get over it.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 4, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Ron16, was that in response to something other than somebody correcting themselves?

Posted by: sitruc | December 4, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

The player and ref should be banned for life. Diving and faking injuries are the two biggest banes on soccer.

Posted by: mcontento | December 4, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Disgraceful, Absolutely disgraceful. It;s stuff like this that HAS to be removed from the sport as much as possible if the game we love is to truly grow in North America. When North American sports fans who are not into footie see crap like this they paint the entire sport with the same brush.

Red cards and multi game suspensions are in order from FIFA. And get another ref onto the pitch that can put an extra set of eyes on the players.

Posted by: timdrodge | December 4, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Are you sure the man wasn't shot?

Posted by: Reignking | December 4, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Maybe the coach should have pulled his team off the field.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | December 4, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Ji just took at dive at work, hoping for workman's comp. My boss didn't buy it and waived "work on."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 4, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

You should've protested, I-270.

Posted by: Reignking | December 4, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm saving my sending off days for WCQ matchdays.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 4, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Come on Modibo, I'm just goofin'. But there is entertainment value in seeing a player take a dive like that with no one within 10 feet of him. It's funny. Nothing funny about the ref falling for it, though.

Posted by: philofutbol | December 4, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Good: The player received a one-game suspension.
Bad: This is allegedly the best referee in the Colombian league
Coyote Ugly: Probably still better than many MLS referees.

Posted by: JasonSparks | December 4, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse