Friday Kickaround

*Following up on our report from a few days ago, Sigi Schmid did meet with Seattle officials yesterday about the Sounders head coaching job. Is Columbus really going to let the MLS coach of the year slip away?

*Maryland gears up for a cold-weather meeting with Creighton in the NCAA quarterfinals tomorrow afternoon at Ludwig Field. The Terps have not lost in two months, while the Bluejays' only defeat came nearly three months ago. Maryland has won 13 straight, Creighton is on a 13-0-2 tear. Kickoff is 1 p.m. For the complete bracket, click here.

*Bundesliga showdown: Bayern vs. Hoffenheim. Read the preview and then watch the most ridiculous video in Insider history. No translation necessary. We're so proud.

By Steve Goff  |  December 5, 2008; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Bundesliga , College Soccer , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Simms, Toni, Bocanegra and U-20s

Comments

Here's the difference between Germany and the United State. In America, we would have had the models play the game.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 5, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Did I just waste five minutes of time watching that?!?

Yes, I did. No wonder I never get anything done.

Posted by: Modibo | December 5, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

1. Goffster, no, not the most ridiculous Insider video ever. I still think that the tape of Khano Smith hitting possibly the worst shot of all time takes the cake. I cannot see him in a game or see his name in print without that video clip flashng before me--burned into my retinas!

2. Yes, Columbus is going to lose the Sig-Meister. I personally think that some teams like TFKAM and Columbus are going to get their commupance in 2009: they're going to discover how much of a difference it makes when you're playing 40 games instead of 30-32 over the season.

Posted by: JoeW1 | December 5, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Oy, what a waste of time. It wasn't even amusing.

I did recognize the host, though. Search on the words 'german nude skydiving' and go to the first link.

Posted by: mmathai1 | December 5, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 5, 2008 9:47 AM

ZING!

Posted by: Kev29 | December 5, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Are any fans in Virginia still trying to get DC United license plates?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | December 5, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Goff - nothing we can do about losing Sigi. We could offer him the same amount as Seattle, but it's not about the money frankly, its the fact that Seattle is much closer to his wife, family, and friends. He's been a left coaster most of his life, and these last 3 years have been tough on him, especially without his wife living here. So, to get the chance to go build yet another team, he's going to jump at it, especially when he is a 2 or less hour plane ride away from the wife, rather than a 4 hour plus plane ride through 3 time zones. Never underestimate the power of the wife, after all - McBride does play for Chicago now because of the almighty whip ;-)

But I know that Sigi really did enjoy his time here and he really did love this team and the fans this year. And he also knows he is leaving the team in capable hands with Robert Warzycha. And as long as we can get Chad Marshall back (fingers crossed), now that we got Schelotto back, we will most certainly remain a force to be reckoned with in 2009.

Posted by: eboe | December 5, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Schmid has a kid playing at UC-Irvine, too, which may reinforce the left-coast orientation.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 5, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

In regards to JoeW (where have you been on Big Soccer? We miss you!) and his comments on Columbus and New York getting a taste of what DC, Houston, NE and Chivas USA had to go through this past season.

Yes, they will be in int'l competition next year, but it won't be at the super-ridiculous level it was this past summer.

MLS has wised up and split the CCL and SuperLiga tournaments. That right there cuts out at least 3-5 matches for both CBus and NY.

Also, you have to consider that this past summer was an experience that will never happen again in MLS. DC and Houston were a part of 3 seperate international competitions. From this point forward no MLS team will be involved in more than 2 per season. H

Houston will be in the knockout stage of the CCL in February and also in the group stage in Aug.

So, in reality, Columbus and NY won't have nearly the obstacles that DC and Houston and Chivas USA and NE to a lesser degree had to suffer through in 08'.

If my math is correct, the maximun number of games for Houston to play in 09 will be 50, provided they get to the final in all tournaments.

6 - CCL knockout stage
30 - MLS league matches
4 - US Open Cup matches
6 - CCL group stage matches
4 - MLS Cup playoffs

NY has the potential to play in 51 matches

Columbus has the potential to play in 44 matches

DC has the potential to play in 46 matches.

A lot of matches that could lead to similar paths from last season, but again, one would have to reach the final in all of these tournaments which simply won't happen.

If you were to take a conservative view, NY will most likely play in the area of about 35-38 matches.

Columbus just over 40 matches.

It will be tough, but not like last year. Oh by the way, these teams have to stay healthy thru the season, which Houston was the only team to do so.

Posted by: ARickey | December 5, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"Like the fool on television,
Getting paid to play the fool..."

Steve, you owe me a beer for the time of my life that I just lost.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 5, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Wow...I had no idea Telemundo produced shows in German, too.

Posted by: EdTheRed | December 5, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

So I assume I'd be wasting my time watching the video and DadRyan will watch it five times? Karen

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 5, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Telemundo would have had the models play too - wearing bikinis.

Note to self: watch Telemundo's pre-game show this weekend.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 5, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Gabriela can blindfold me anytime.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | December 5, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Karen Please... I need a lot more T&A to watch something like that 5 times.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 5, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

So only three times then?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 5, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Where to begin?

I guess the most important thing to say is I hope Franck Ribery has a sense of humor and take a really nasty joke. The Franckenstein monster?

Why did they play Yellow Submarine for Bayern? Ist das Villareal?

I hope the link between the Hoffenheim money socks and that vaguely klezmer-esque music is just in my mind.

Having said all that...It was kinda fun. Did the Hoffenheimers get lucky or was their striker trying to score on a rebound?. He seemed to have no idea how to kick straight, but it was starting to seem deliberate. Their counter-attacking strategy really paid off against the frenetic pace of Bayern.

The best part of the scene had to be the close-ups on the gal trying to get up and down the ladder in stilettos.

I'm left with 2 questions:

First, as ever, what was the ref thinking? Actually, why was there a ref? Certainly not eye candy. If this was Telemundo, the ref would have been wearing very tight, very short shorts, and a yellow bikini.

Second, why do we take our television so seriously here? It's just television. Have fun with it. Oh, right. We're afraid of offending anyone.

Posted by: fischy | December 5, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

honestly 270 I barely made it through 1 time but I felt like I owed it to Steve to stick it out.
Call me Uhhhmerican but I'd much rather see the scantily clad models than some dudes anyday.
A little more of this:
and a little less of that.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 5, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The Hoffenheim song was "Money, money, money" from Abba. Hoffenheim is a town of less than 4,000 people and a guy basically brought in millions of Euros to buy players. He has succeeded in getting them from the third division to the top division (and even the top spot in the league) due to his influx of cash. I'm assuming you can get the rationale now...

Posted by: revltion1 | December 5, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Nur auf Deutschland!

Posted by: agoldhammer | December 5, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"Are any fans in Virginia still trying to get DC United license plates?"

If so, it does not sound like we'll get anywhere close to the magic number of 350 by 12-31-08. Last I heard, there were ~ 75 applications received by DCU....frustrating.

Posted by: 22206no1 | December 5, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

If Sigi Schmid leaves the Crew, it is a huge blow to the proletariat of Columbus.
Come on Crew!

Posted by: nordeckeluchador | December 5, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@ revltion1 -- Thanks. I didn't recognize the song. Maybe Germans would...

Posted by: fischy | December 5, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say Abba?!

"So when you're near me
Darling can't you hear me, SOS
The love you gave me
Nothing else can save me, SOS
When you're gone
How can I even try to go on
When you're gone
though I try how can I carry on..."

Hey I-270, did you know that ABBA backwards spells Molly Hatchet?

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 5, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan -- touche'

Fischy -- how could you not know ABBA? Have you never gone to a wedding or a karaoke party? I have valued your opinions in the past because they seemed steeped in experience and well-reasoned. This shocking lack of knowledge has me re-evaluating your gravitas.

What's next? Joedoc going to work in the new administration? I-270 spearheading the Bring DC United to Dulles campaign? My illusions are shattered.

Karen

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 5, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I just did some research on the interweb and now know how to type

DadRyan -- touché

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 5, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

joedoc1,

You just made my day. Now that I can get the best soccer news on the internet AND Rush quotes all in one place, I never need to leave the house again.

Posted by: Kenobi | December 5, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Off Topic, but is anyone else happy to see that OJ is finally going to do some time for something? How'd you like him for a cell mate?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 5, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I now have to play "Flirting with Disaster" backwards and listen for ABBA. How does one do that on an iPod shuffle?

Relax Karen, You're obviously suffering from DC United withdrawal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 5, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Jocimar, Brazilian playing for Motagua of Honduras, says he is receiving strong interest from DC United, among others.

Posted by: nico78 | December 5, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

If you play Molly Hatchet backwards, you get...

Bob and Doug McKenzie. Take off, eh.

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Fiiiiiiive golden toques!
Four pounds of back bacon, three French toast, two turtlenecks, and a beer in a treeee...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | December 5, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Quoth Karen: This shocking lack of knowledge has me re-evaluating your gravitas.

~~~~

Wow, there's a line in there somewhere....like "Man, I really dig your gravitas!" or "Hey babe, wanna check out my gravitas....?"

Ok, maybe not.

Posted by: 22206no1 | December 5, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Beer in a tree.... hmmm, I think I just thought of my Chrismas gift for Dadryan.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 5, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so Stefan Raab is still hosting TV Total? I thought that show would've gone off the air years ago.

Posted by: bigwave | December 5, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow, little Lahm with the equalizer in the 60th Minute... Hmmm. Beer in a tree? How about a tree made of beer>

Posted by: DadRyan | December 5, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Karen. I hate disappointing. I wish I had gravitas. On the other hand, if they'd played Waterloo, I'd have been all over it.

That was some game, huh? I only caught the last 20 minutes. I won't ruin it for those with Tivo -- suffice to say, it was a thriller to the last kick.

@ nico78 -- you're all over the Honduran prensa, eh? Of course, there were lots of claims last offseason about players talking with United. Funny thing is a bunch of them actually materialized. Hope we're looking at better talent this time around.

Posted by: fischy | December 5, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Kenny "Franken" Cooper getting some work in the off season.

Posted by: AllYouNeedIsHops | December 5, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Those Bayern Jerseys look an awful lot like dem' Dallas ones no?
Speaking of Stripes, my latest third jersey ideas while looking at the Eurosport catolog are like this:

Red and Black Stripes in the same jersey New Castle is using for their home kit this year.
A red Version of Liverpool's current 3rd jers. Black collar of course.
Or something like Ajax with one broad vertical stripe, maybe like Germany's latest away jawn...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 5, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse