Happy Holidays

I'm out until Jan. 5. Merry New Year to one and all. Feel free to use this thread to discuss any futbol topics during my absence.

As part of the Insider's appreciation of soccer, military and world history (see last week's thread about a Normandy match), I'll leave you with music and video from John McCutcheon's "Christmas in the Trenches," which was written about the short-lived truce between British and German soldiers during World War I and includes a reference to a match between the sides. (The Germans won, 3-2.)

Soon one by one on either side walked into No Man's Land,
With neither gun nor bayonet we met there hand to hand,
We shared some secret brandy and we wished each other well,
And in a flare-lit soccer game we gave 'em hell.

By Steve Goff  |  December 23, 2008; 3:27 PM ET
Categories:  History
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alston, Cooper and Appiah
Next: USA Training Camp Roster

Comments

Thanks Steve.
Holla at ya in the new year!

Posted by: DadRyan | December 23, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hapy Holidays to you and yours, SG.

Thank you for all of your work this year and see you next year.

Happy Holidays to SI nation, MLS and especially to the black-and-red faithful. See you all next year.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | December 23, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

A joyous, healthy and prosperous New Year to you, Senor Goff.

Posted by: fischy | December 23, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy the holidays, SG.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 23, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Steven, thanks for a great year of stories and scoops, insight and insanity, and the forum to share thoughts with the SI regulars.

Happy Holidays to all.

Dadryan -- is this her first Chirstmas? Savor every moment.

Fischy -- I hope someone gives you the Mamma Mia DVD for the holidays, your knowledge of ABBA is ABysmal.

Joe Doc -- I hope you have time to kick the ball round with your kids. And cheer up, with any luck it's only four years.

I-270 -- I hope you get to spend the holidays with someone who appreciates your wit and sense of humor as much as we do.

Chest-Rockwell, I'll be away until January 5th. I'd be grateful for a succinct and pithy snyopsis of what I will have missed. Standard outline format is appreciated but not requierd.

Everyone else out there -- Happy Holidays.

And for those of you watching United v. 'Boro on the 29th -- I'll wave from the East Stand.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 23, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, BlackandRedRedDevil. I'll look for that wave!

Take care, Steve. May you, Mrs. SI and the whole Goff clan have a quiet, newspaper-free holiday.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 23, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

BlackandRedRedDevil: We're excited for her second Christmas actually. She was only 7 months last time around. The run up has already been outstanding:-)
Have fun on your Holiday!
I hope everyone else out there has a fun filled/and or relaxing Holiday as well.
Extra especially to the DCU family of supporters!

Last but certainly not least: Happy Holidays Mastodon Juan. We appreciated the MLS Cup defeat... but at least they're actually building your *field of dreams*.
Cheers!

Posted by: DadRyan | December 23, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | December 23, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Man U to win it all AGAIN? I think so.

Posted by: TheJim1 | December 23, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks BlackandRedRedDevil. I hope it's on FSC. Which one is the East Stand?

Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Joyeaux Noel, Frohe Weinachten.
Happy Chanukkah
Happy Winter Solstice
And, for those of us who don't subscribe to any of the above: Happy Vacation Days.

What I want for for 2009:
At least one more year of Jaime Moreno
At least three more years of Ben Olsen
As many more years of Soccer Insider as Steve can take
Lowest GAA in MLS
A Supporters Shield
An MLS Cup
A US Open Cup
Signed contracts for a soccer stadium at Poplar Point or Greenbelt.
A WCQ at RFK
30 points in the hexagonal
A Gold Cup victory
A Confederations Cup victory
A Founders Cup (or the WPS equivalent)
An NCAA Championship for the Lady Gators
An NCAA Championship for the Terps men
Continued intelligence, wit, sophistication, and silliness from Soccer Insider regulars, irregulars, and lurkers.
Going to more games with my boys.

And yes, Peace on Earth - or at least a good effort.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 23, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Is that all?
:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 23, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Great post, Steve. A cultured blog it is.

Thanks for everything. Hope you enjoy the holidays and of course, the same to all.

Cheers

Posted by: KireDCU | December 23, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

"Merry New Year to one and all."

In this country we say Happy New Year.

Oh, and welcome to the Gals, Donovan Ricketts.

Posted by: Section117 | December 23, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

John McCutcheon is a longtime resident of the Charlottesville area. I saw him perform this song in concert in Warrenton some years ago. I recall him saying that it was a big hit in Ireland, for some reason. He also told a touching story about how when he was performing in Denmark, he encountered some WWI veterans who could never get people to believe that this incident actually happened.

Posted by: universityandpark | December 24, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Happy Holidays Soccer Insider Nation!

Posted by: beltwayrob | December 24, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all.

- Matthai -

Posted by: mcontento | December 24, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Happy Holidays to Steve and Insider chums!

Posted by: Kev29 | December 24, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 24, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Happy Merry Christmeidhanukwanzivus.

...and to all, a good night.

Best wishes to everyone on the Insider, and to El Goff, who gives us this forum.

All I ask for 2009 is for good, exciting soccer -- whether it be from DCU, LA, Columbus, Seattle, San Jose, Houston, the USL-1, or whoever, is wholly unimportant.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | December 24, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

D.C. United may play Ghana nat'l team !!!

On Feb. 11, Ghana's Black Stars are expected to clash with America's top-notch side, D.C. United, in an international friendly in Washington, D.C. Indications are that plans are far advanced, regarding the friendly match expected to offer the two sides the opportunity to put their houses in order ahead of their future engagements.

Posted by: delantero | December 24, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beach3 | December 24, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I-270, the East Stand is behind the goal that United generally attack in the first half. The one that is not the Stretford End. It's fun because it is next to the away supporters section and an awful lot of very naughty chanting goes back and forth. I think the game is on Setanta at 3:00.

I'm with you 99% on your wish list but you used the G word -- (Greenbelt).

Happy Holidays, Karen

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | December 24, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

From his comments in the Ghana media, Appiah clearly wants to remain in Europe at this stage of his career. Money talks. But that does not change the fact that DCU and Dallas were approached about negotiating with him.

Posted by: Steve Goff | December 24, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I think Steve misses us... ;)

Posted by: fonkyou | December 24, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

So not to ruin anyone's festivities, I sincerely hope that this is one occasion in which Ives is wrong:

Posted by: Josh8 | December 24, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad I don't have to hear about the Subotic story anymore. Yawn.

Posted by: Reignking | December 25, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!!!

Posted by: RedDevil1 | December 25, 2008 4:09 AM | Report abuse

Somehow Virginia Tech head women’s soccer coach Kelly Cagle was awarded Mid-Atlantic Region Coach of the Year.

Posted by: sitruc | December 25, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm just glad I don't have to hear about the Subotic story anymore. Yawn.

Posted by: Reignking | December 25, 2008 12:49 AM
======================

Hang on. I'm sure we'll find another talented-soccer-player-raised-in-the-US-to-foreign-parents-but-is-on-the-fence-about-which-country-to-represent story really soon.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 25, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 25, 2008 6:07 PM

Or we could always go back to pining for Christian Gomez.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 26, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

David Brandt takes over Navy men's soccer program. Leaves Messiah College after winning sixth D3 title this season.

Posted by: joedoc | December 26, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

We need a Vice-Goff to act as Goff in Goff's absence. Where's Tenorio? This is a leaderless, udderless ship (a rudderless one, too).

For those who missed it, Villa 's climb continues. The Villians abused Arsenal, though the Gunners nearly left wth the 3 points as Friedel was abused with two great shots, and a third that rang off the post. A beautiful shot through traffic, in the 91st minute got Vila a point -- enough to hold on to the 4th spot. Our boy, Brad, might be netminding in the Champions League next year.

Posted by: fischy | December 26, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Brad has always been Champions League caliber, he's just finally on a team that will actually get in.

Posted by: RetiredShark | December 26, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Book recommendation: The FC Nantes Experiment by Simon Rance

I'm reading this now. It's about a British fan fed up with spiraling ticket prices and long season ticket waiting lists at his favorite EPL team Arsenal who buys FC Nantes season tickets (link is to eBay because it's cheaper there than Amazon right now): http://cgi.ebay.com/The-FC-Nantes-Experiment-One-Mans-O-Rance-Simon-NE_W0QQitemZ220321596361QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item220321596361&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Posted by: Pedalada | December 26, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Villa-Arsenal was a thriller. The best part was a defender scored the tying goal with a soft trap and a rifle of a left footed shot into a tight space.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 26, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Agreed that the Villa-Aresenal was the match of the day. The battles in midfield were tremendous - only (apparently) to be challenged by the battle on the sideline. Really a fantastic match with Villa being denied in the 1st half and coming back from the dead in the 2nd. Great stuff.

Posted by: Beckster1 | December 27, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh8 | December 24, 2008 6:34 PM
------------------------------------------

I don't give a rat. If he wanted to play for us, he would. Besides, if someone were born here and moved elsewhere when he was a kid, the subset obsessed with Nevic would be screaming that that player needs to play for the US because he's a native-born citizen.

Play the hand you are dealt and don't whine when you don't get every ace.

Posted by: beach3 | December 27, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

""I don't give a rat.""

That about sums it up. Subotic made his choice . . . big whoop. It's not like the US team is hurting for central defenders. While none maybe world class, they are all solid.

Subotic? Who cares ..

Posted by: delantero | December 27, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beach3 | December 27, 2008 10:27 AM

Exactly. What was Rossi thinking?

And, who is Nevic, anyway? I'm guessing he's related to Neven Subotic -- who has worn the USA jersey before, so it IS different.

Posted by: fischy | December 27, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Well, I care. We need players like Subotic if we're going to consistently get out of the group stage of the World Cup, as Mexico seems to be able to do. Rongen really blew it with that guy, although the Dutchman did a fine job with his U-20 squad through the 2007 tournament in Canada.

Do you think Onyewu, whose agent regularly cooks up stories about English, Italian and French teams that want his service, is in the class of Subotic?

Appiah comes across as quite arrogant in the Ghananian soccer site story I read about him brushing off the rumors of MLS teams considering making offers to him.

I can understand where he's coming from, but as a DCU fan, I'm a bit turned off by his reaction.

Posted by: billindmd | December 27, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

So, we lost Subotic, but we gained Clint Dempsey. The Nacogdoches, Texas lad made his mark in London today -- never to be forgotten. 2 goals to earn a point against Chelsea.

Posted by: fischy | December 28, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

""We need players like Subotic if we're going to consistently get out of the group stage of the World Cup, as Mexico seems to be able to do""

Too bad getting out of the group stage hasn't helped them do much . . . w

Or get a luckier draw in the group stage. . .which Mexico has gotten regularly (Portugal, Angola, Iran 06) (Italy, Croatia, Ecuador 02) (Netherlands, Belgium, Korea Republic 98) (Italy, Ireland, Norway 94)

It's hard not to see that we've had the rougher go of it in our groups

Posted by: delantero | December 28, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

""Neven Subotic -- who has worn the USA jersey before, so it IS different.""

And Subotic was born in Bosnia and emigrated to the States when his parents were not allowed to stay as refugees in Germany thus opening the door to playing for the U.S. . .

So again, who cares? We'll win the World Cup with US born players (ok and maybe an Adu!)

Rossi was born in Jersey.

Posted by: delantero | December 28, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Which exit?

(Sorry to beat you to it, I-270, Exit 1...)

Missed the Villa-Arsenal match, unfortunately. But I did learn that two-bedroom flats at The Stadium (formerly Highbury) are going for about $900,000. I'm thinking of calling all my puts, options and cashing my War Bonds to up a studio flat there. Anyone else in?

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 28, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I turned off the Fulham-Chelsea match when Chelsea went up 2-1 and missed Clint's tying goal, his second of the match. His first was clever. Davies took a free kick from about 25 and Chelsea let it bounce in the box. Clint, at the far post and back to the goal, played it off his chest and flicked it in with the side of his foot.

"Which exit?"
13A - Newark Airport.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 28, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Clint, at the far post and back to the goal, played it off his chest and flicked it in with the side of hisPosted by: I-270Exit1 | December 28, 2008 2:52 PM foot.

Anyone got a link to that?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 28, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I need some SI.

Posted by: sitruc | December 28, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Clint, at the far post and back to the goal, played it off his chest...

Anyone got a link to that?
Posted by: DadRyan

see it on goaltube.org

Posted by: glfrazier | December 28, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 28, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

glfrazier: mahalo. Awesome highlights. Don't really have the time to trip on kids not wanting to play for the Stars and Stripes.
I've read here that Dempsey isn't a game changer...???

I-270 Exit 1: Thanks for keepin' up with the Jonses'.
I'm excited to see MLS trying to retain, and increase the value of the domestic player pool. Even if it is just one player at a time...
What's up Kenny Cooper!?!?

Yo Curious99: How many days left?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 29, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

I've read here that Dempsey isn't a game changer...???
Posted by: DadRyan | December 29, 2008 12:18 AM
========================

I admit to writing that. One game won't change my mind. If he performs like that consistently, then I will change my mind. You have to admit that Chelsea's marking on the first goal was, well, nonexistent.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 29, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- You're not giving Clint enough credit. I haven't clicked your link, but if you saw it live, you should've picked up on the fact that Clint made his own space. He pushed away the defender into the goal. Doing that sent Clint in the opposite direction, where he would up ion the right spot to make the play, right in front Of Czech. The second goal showed equal determination. There was another Fulham player behind Clint, who was probably better positioned to hit the header. Still falling away from the goal, Clint got his head on the ball, and directed it perfectly into the top corner. Then, he got a yellow card for his celebration.

Posted by: fischy | December 29, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

fischy: I agree with what you said about yesterday's match. But DadRyan referenced a comment I made a number of weeks ago. I wrote then that Dempsey can put in an excellent performance one week and then be a non-factor the next. Even within a single game he can drift in and out. Yesterday was an example of him at his best. He needs to do that every week.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 29, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

You're totally right on about the marking on that goal, but that's the magic of dude being underestimated by critics and his opponents alike. I admit that I've also seen him look powerless when him and Eddie Johnson have been on the field...:-/

I'm just saving that saving Fulham from relegation last year, and stealing back a point from Chelsea are the puzzle pieces I hope he continues to put into place. I'm sure we'll all have plenty of matches to scrutinize his game changing ability with the national team in 09:-)

You know me I-270Exit1. I have hope. I'd also EXPECT him to make more of a difference when it matters than guys who aren't playing much with their club teams, and only seeing starts with the National team after the crucial points have been secured.
That being said, I hope I see more of Kenny Cooper in the new year in the gawd awful US home jersey;-)
I'll still take Clint any given day though.
Was he cracking a beer on his boot and swillin' in that goal celebration or what?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 29, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Saying that saving, not saving that saving... Sorry dudes.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 29, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Clint is one of the US' better players. He has good passing vision and has a decent shot. That being said, he does not create his own shots. Look at a Dempsey highlight real, you will not see him breaking down defenders on the dribble - you will see him receiving the ball and taking his shots. Breaking a defense down with ball handling is a rare skill that the US has little of.

Posted by: glfrazier | December 29, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

BlackandRedRedDevil:

There were some discussions of the holidays and plans/hopes for the new year, followed by a back-and-forth about Subotic finally shutting the door on the US. The subject then changed to the Premiership, with Aston Villa briefly taking charge before being overtaken by Clint Dempsey's double against Chelsea. If you want pith, wander over to the Sports Bog.

***

On Subotic: This is not the big deal people are making it out to be. Yes, he's a very good center back for his age. However, center back is a spot where we have a number of respectable players to call on. In that regard, someone like Edgar Castillo is a bigger loss, since he plays left back (where our starter can't get a game in the 2.Bundesliga, which in my eyes is no better than sitting the bench in MLS). Since US soccer has been putting forward good defenders on a regular basis for years now, I'm not too concerned. Someone mentioned that we need defenders of his caliber to get out of the group stage consistently, but we have defenders of his caliber. I'd argue that our problems are at the other end of the field when it comes to WC success.

On Dempsey: I thought Dempsey was objectively the best player on the field for Fulham, even if you ignore the goals. Unlike the rest of their midfield, he rarely turned the ball over, and most of their attempts to go forward were on his side. Chelsea wanted to push Ashley Cole further forward when they were down, but he couldn't do that much due to the fact that Dempsey was clearly Fulham's most dangerous player. If he can play like this regularly, he should continue to be their focal point when Bullard comes back (maybe I'm nuts, but Bullard reminds me of Kljestan: good, yes, but far too many turnovers).

And for what it's worth, I think he scored the 1st goal in part because he got away with a clear shove in the back of Obi. You won't hear me complaining, though.

Other thoughts: I had a dream on the 26th fueled by a bad head cold that saw Louis Crayton and I running a practice for a really young kids' team at Millersville Elementary out in the wilds of Anne Arundel County (I played there for a couple years as a kid). Crayton was dressed in his rather flamboyant normal clothes, and spoke with no accent. He kept his keeper gloves on throughout practice and even as he drove off afterward in a 15-20 year old white Toyota Land Cruiser.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 29, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Mexico's ability to consistently get out of the group stages of the World Cup helps them gain seedings in succeeding World Cups, so they don't have to play the heavyweights in the group stages.

Chest, Subotic not only is a highly rated defender in the Bundesliga, he's also scoring goals at the rate of nearly one every three games (5 in 17 matches). Neither Boca nor Onyewu have his abilities.

I can see why a lot of fans are torn up over this, since Subotic did represent the U.S. at the U-17 level and pledged himself to the US in a 2006 interview http://bleacherreport.com/articles/97215-borussia-dortmund-star-neven-subotic-snubs-united-states-in-favor-of-serbia

But as they say on the Sopranos, "Whaddayagonnado?"

Posted by: billindmd | December 29, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Head cold Chest? You sure you didn't get a little too close to the catnip and absinthe over the holidays?
:-)
Dream Catching with Chest_Rockwell... brought to you by Ben's Chili Bowl, Eastern Motors, and Comcast...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 29, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"I had a dream on the 26th fueled by a bad head cold that saw Louis Crayton and I running a practice for a really young kids' team at Millersville Elementary...."

2 things to ask:

1 - At any time during the practice did Crayton make wild forays outside of the designated practice area?

2 - Being who you are, I'd have thought you had a chest cold...

(Man, when will Goff return to pull us out of our self-entertaining misery?)

Posted by: 22206no1 | December 29, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Head cold? I think Chest Rockwell got into DadRyan's special reserve stash.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 29, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

"He kept his keeper gloves on throughout practice and even as he drove off afterward in a 15-20 year old white Toyota Land Cruiser."

I thought he was in a new VW Routan, with a soccer mom named Deb...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | December 29, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

83 days . . . . .

Posted by: Curious99 | December 29, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Anyone hearing anything about when US/Mexico tix go on sale?

Posted by: dsheon | December 30, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

An interesting item, courtesy of Soccer America:

Posted by: universityandpark | December 30, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

How cute...rumor has it that a blog thinks they are real news and information, and deserve the same respect. That's like comparing the Post to the National Enquirer.

Posted by: Reignking | December 30, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7802865.stm . .

Red card in three seconds? Yikes, sounds like there was an off the field score to settle . . . but good for the ref to not show hesitation . .

Posted by: delantero | December 30, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | December 30, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

@ Chest -- Perhaps I wasn't clear in my earlier comment on Dempsey. I described how he shoved the defender into the goal. I guess I needed to add that it was blatant foul on Clint's part? The important part is he got away with it. Isn't that what separates the top players from the middle? I agree with you that Clint did better with the ball than the rest of the team -- mostly, he made smart passes, and on two occasions where he got caught trying to do too much, he made nice plays to kick the ball away before turning it over. He seemed more focused and determined than the rest of the team. And, he had wild-eyed look on his face that showed it.

Posted by: fischy | December 30, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Rongen really blew it with that guy

Posted by: billindmd | December 27, 2008 5:49 PM

Even though Subotic has said that the Rongen comments wouldn't affect his decision?

This situation just emphasizes the insecurity of American soccer fans. Far too many people can't stand to be slighted in any way possible, whether it be a player making a decision for himself and not the fans or a commentator having the temerity to make a joke.

He's one player. Life will march on.

Posted by: beach3 | December 30, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

So, I've been really good the last two weeks without this blog. But today, I am dying.... I need my Soccer Insider fix.... I NEED IT!

Posted by: kris77 | December 30, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

billindmd:

I know all that about Subotic. I've also watched him play a couple times, and on that evidence I think he'd be no better than 3rd amongst our center back pool. Yes, he'd be the best threat on set pieces, but his primary job is to stop goals. In that regard, my opinion of him is that he'd only be able to overtake Gooch or Bocanegra after 2010, and that's assuming no one else emerges in the next 2 years.

DadRyan:

If by catnip and absinthe you mean Nyquil (which might mess you up more, in all honesty).

22206:

I woke with the impression that Crayton was unsurprisingly enthusiastic, but didn't go running off and causing me to have heart palpitations. I figure if he had, his rate of getting away with it would have been pretty high.

fischy:

I wasn't disagreeing. I was just saying that for me, the marking etc. didn't play as much a part in it as the shove. The positive for Dempsey was that he followed it up with some strong improvisational skills. A less intelligent player would have looked to play the ball back into the middle and hope it found a Fulham player, but you don't often get a second free moment in the box against Chelsea.

***

Bos Bobwell might be headed to Turkey:

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 30, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Wonder if Boswell would be able to maintain his colorful party boy lifestyle in Turkey... Where ever he's happy I suppose.

As always I hope BobDigi stays in MLS, or at least goes to a better club than that.

Posted by: DadRyan | December 30, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Indianapolis (AP) -- The Indianapolis Star has hired former Washington Post sports writer Steve Goff to cover Indiana high school basketball, the newspaper announced today.

Goff, who previously covered college basketball and soccer at the Post, will begin his new position immediately. He said he moved his family to Indianapolis over the Boxing Day holiday.

"Basketball is in my blood," said Goff, bouncing a ball in one hand and spinning another on his left index finger. "I've seen the move 'Hoosiers' like, I dunno, a hundred times at least.

"This is where I want to be," he added. "Covering America's game."

Goff, who said he once dunked a Nerf basketball when he was 17, said he is looking forward to watching the young basketball talent through the state and hoping to meet the next Gene Hackman-like character from 'Hoosiers.'

"There's nothing like the sound of a bouncing basketball echoing off an aging wood floor," Goff said. "I can't wait to get started."

Goff said he does not intend to cover soccer for the Star, despite the fact that he became globally famous for penning the "Soccer Insider" blog at the Post.

"That blog was just a stepping stone for me to get this position at the Star," Goff said. "I like soccer and all, but some of the people who read the blog and wrote comments were kind of, you know, weird."

Executives at the Post declined to comment about who will fill Goff's position, although one source told AP that editors were considering former reporter Frank Deford.

Posted by: joedoc1 | December 30, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Indiana high school basketball is greatly overrated. It's probably the #3 state beginning with "I" when it comes to high school basketball.

Posted by: sitruc | December 30, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Nerf basketball is overrated, too. When was the last time they had crowds like show up at Red Bulls games?

Posted by: fischy | December 30, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Good reporting joedoc. But it was in the straightforward, facts only style that won't get you a job at the post these days.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 30, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse