Honduran to DCU?

According to this report out of Honduras, Catrachos midfielder-forward Walter Martinez is in talks with D.C. United. The club declined to comment. Martinez, 26, is currently with a team in Beijing. As we told you a couple weeks ago, the MLS discovery period opens next Monday and clubs will begin staking claims to players.

He played in four World Cup qualifiers this year and scored the opening goal in Honduras's 3-1 victory over Canada on Oct. 11:

By Steve Goff  |  December 2, 2008; 1:49 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Response From FCD/Columbus
Next: Openers Unveiled; Schelotto Stays With Crew

Comments

I like what I see- could be a smart buy considering our offensive woes l

Posted by: carmines757 | December 2, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm just hoping that we still bring back Rod Dyachenko. Dude's a beast.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 2, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Found one youtube clip where Peri nets 2 goals, playing in China. One thing these two clips have in common is that there are more impressive goals by others and he definitely benefits from good plays by teammates. On the other hand, he does put the ball "in the net" -- maybe a la Emilio a 16 months ago.

Posted by: fischy | December 2, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Offensive woes? We weren't exactly Brazil, but we were far from Toronto as well. Scoring goals was not the principle problem; giving them up was.

The first thing that pops to mind here is "where will he play?" I don't know anything about him, but the fact that he wears #9 with Beijing Gouan says he's more forward than midfielder. Maybe he's supposed to back up Moreno? I guess we'll have to wait and see whether it's a legit rumor and what the price tag is. I just wish the news had more to do with fixing our defending.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 2, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

One Martinez in and one Martinez out?

Posted by: DrBeaker | December 2, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Chest, what about Moreno backing up Martinez? I've been waiting for the time that Moreno is the super-sub. Will that be next season or do you think he'll be the starter and be a 45-60 minute guy?

Posted by: DrBeaker | December 2, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Chest,

Going by that logic, someone with no knowledge of English soccer would assume Michael Owen must be a playmaking midfielder. I think we're long past the days when you could judge a player solely by the number he wears.

Posted by: Kenobi | December 2, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree that the biggest question marks are in defense. If DC learned anything last season though it might be wise to have prospective replacements lurking in case our geriatric stars have any set backs:-)
How's Jaime doing anyway?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 2, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenobi | December 2, 2008 2:38 PM
==================

"You mean," he asked incredulously, "Jaime Moreno is not a wide receiver?"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 2, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

actually, 99 would make Jaime a defensive lineman. wideouts are 80-89 (or 10-19 as surplus)

or of course, a retired NHL player of some note.

I'd personally rather have us looking at younger talent, but it seems like he might be looking for a way out of beijing, so he'd have some incentive to play hard (and, of course he can't be that expensive) he does seem like a bit of a poacher. Steve, any word on the plans for Emilio?
------
the poster formerly known as 'northzax'

Posted by: joshuaostevens | December 2, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Peri is definitely a forward, though he is capable of play as a withdrawn forward. He is fast and athletic...and can finish. Lots of Honduran players play in China because of established relationships with Honduran government and the league, then they tend to move on.

Posted by: nico78 | December 2, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

As long as this Martinez character is 5'6" and slower than Mike Martin after his Friday night go-around at Old Country Buffet, then he will fit right into this team.

The fact that he's under 30 is a bit of downer.

Posted by: ARickey | December 2, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The Honduran press article refers to Martinez as an "atacante" and "delantero".

He's a forward...

Posted by: fischy | December 2, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

One thing I found interesting in the article -- Marathon's owner is Yankel Rosenthal. Can't be too many tribesmen in Honduras.

Posted by: fischy | December 2, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Steve, any word on the plans for Emilio?"
----------------
He's getting offers between 5 and 8 million on my Fifa09 season. I wish we could offload him for that kind of cash...

Posted by: carmines757 | December 2, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Steve, any word on the plans for Emilio?"
----------------

Posted by: carmines757 | December 2, 2008 4:11 PM
-------------------------------------------
Hahaha...man I couldnt get much from him in my season...so I benched him..then loan him out for free...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | December 2, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse