Mapping Out the Future

A fitting end to a disappointing year on so many fronts for D.C. United: On my new ADC road map of the Washington metropolitan area, a red dot along the Anacostia River, just off I-295 and Howard Road in Southeast, indicates "D.C. United Stadium (Site)." No such markers on the Greenbelt section of the map. Clearly, Poplar Point is going to happen. ;-)

Here's to a brighter 2009. Cheers!

By Steve Goff  |  December 31, 2008; 2:43 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arguez, U-20 Issues
Next: Back to Work

Comments

Nice!
Cheers to you and yours Steve!
Happy New Year people of Soccer Insider!

Posted by: DadRyan | December 31, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey - HNY!

Any idea who Chris Birchall is signing with?

Posted by: the_lizard1000 | December 31, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

For the younger readers: a road map is a static, silent version of a Garmin or Magellan.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 31, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Awesome map and a sign of good news in 2009.

"Build it and they will come."

Posted by: delantero | December 31, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Maps rock!
I couldn't help myself and went over to Google and took a virtual stroll around the *stadium site*. You'd think Google would get around to taking a new picture though. Nationals park doesn't exist on there...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 31, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

perhaps the Barra Brava should just show up and do an unofficial groundbreaking ceremony....

I270: have you tried asking your Garmin for DCU stadium? Perhaps the puppet masters have already made the decision for the city.

Posted by: troy6 | December 31, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

On and that day, it was fantastic.

Posted by: B_A_ | December 31, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Too funny. Well, one can always dream.

Posted by: Matte | December 31, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of a groundbreaking. Maybe, we could pitch in on the weekends and get it built....

Posted by: fischy | December 31, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

ADC changed their map numbering system a few years ago, and now it's kind of a pain, so I just keep using my 2004 ADC map.

Posted by: Pedalada | December 31, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I saw the same map but on the version I saw around the I-295/Howard Road area in Southeast, all I saw on the map was "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 31, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes map companies will put fake roads or places in map, to prevent against forgery or copyright infringement. Clearly, that's what has happened here.

Posted by: Reignking | December 31, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

81 days to the start of the season!

x-1 days till United has a new home.

Posted by: Curious99 | December 31, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

To 2009! May it bring the return of the MLS Cup to its rightful home...

Posted by: fischy | December 31, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

"Here's to a brighter 2009."

Indeed. 2008 was not kind on a lot of fronts for United faithful. I'm toasting to better times ahead.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 31, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posts like this make me think I shouldn't be checking Soccer Insider on my phone.

Posted by: sitruc | December 31, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Now without reading the blog, my first instints were that we traded Rod Dyachenko for Justin Mapp and a Chicago's first round draft pick.

Posted by: TheJim1 | December 31, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 31, 2008 7:02 PM

No, but we got an Open Cup out of it. As it stands we all look at it as a minor accomplishment, but the reward is still cool. International play is the same reward as with the MLS Cup and the Shield. Not bad.

Posted by: bdwooton | January 1, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I270: have you tried asking your Garmin for DCU stadium?

Posted by: troy6 | December 31, 2008 3:36 PM
================

Whenever I do that, the voice tells me to turn around, park the car in the garage, and get real.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 1, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

80 days ....

Posted by: Curious99 | January 1, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I-270: Volkswagen Arena at Poplar Point, please.

Garmin: What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Happy New Year, folks!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 1, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I feel like I've been scraping resin for days... Where's the dank at?
Namoff news? Third Jersey release? Bike racks being installed near gate A at RFK? Johnsonville Brat Haus being opened up in 09?
I need another hit, hurry quick, hurry quick! The bats in the basement all start to flip...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 2, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

79 days to the start of the season.

Posted by: Curious99 | January 2, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Completely OT, but saw this in Soccer America profile today of a US youth player, and got a kick out of it. "Vicki DiMartino played spectacularly for the U.S. national team in the U-17 World Cup in November. Vicki will be attending Boston College next year where she'll join her sister Gina. Her eldest sister, Christina, just finished her senior year at UCLA. 'My sisters used to play all the time in the backyard. I just followed what my sisters did. I loved it. . . . It got intense sometimes, too. My dad would have to break it up.'"

Posted by: OWNTF | January 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Completely Off Topic, but here's Jaime Moreno's Dream XI. As a commenter on that NY Times blog noted, it's interesting he includes Christian Gomez but no Raul Diaz Arce, Roy Lassiter or Emilio. Only one current United player (Ben Olsen), in addition to Jaime.

Posted by: billindmd | January 2, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

bdwooton:

Yeah, we did get that Open Cup, but there's no way to make 2008 look good when it comes to United. The standard is high and was not met.

***

Bored? Rumors are fun, right?

La Prensa in Honduras has Osman Chavez joining DCU if United and his club, Platense, can come to an agreement. Later in the article, it mentions that Adan Ramirez (defensive midfielder) and Quiarol Arzu (defender of some sort) will be on trial with DC. Arzu didn't miss a minute during the Olympics for Honduras (wearing #2 in a squad starting Erick Norales and Samuel Caballero, I'd guess he's a right back), while information on Ramirez was a bit harder to come by.

Does anyone know if Chavez is a right or left back? Or anything about these other guys?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 2, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Chavez is a leftist. Oh, Osman Chavez? Never mind.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 2, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else jonesin' so hard they might watch Interliga tonight?
Who gets Fox Sports Espanol?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 2, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I plugged Poplar Point into the BMW Navigation system. The car started driving, but as I got closer, it made me perform a series of U-turns, once past the District Building, where it told me to get out and empty my wallet, a second time past National Park Service HQ, where it had me get out and remove all soccer equipment from the trunk, then when I got close again, is put up a red warning indicator: "This car will not drive further. If you want to go further, buy a Volkswagen."

Later at the VW dealership, they told me that basic on board navigation was an extra $2K, but the cost rose to $150 million, plus affordable housing, and naming rights to FentBarry Farms if I wanted the map that included DC. He said this was all on the invoice and even went back to see his manager to "see what he could do." Then walked out Raw Fisher, smiling like the cat that ate the canary. I ran as fast as I could to get away. Good thing he is a geek 'cause I left him in the dust, although I heard him mumbling something about the Earth Conservation Corps.

So I will be sticking with the BMW until further notice.

MR Caretaker

Posted by: postgolb | January 3, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

78 days to the first game.

Posted by: Curious99 | January 3, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

postbolb: that's a good one!
DC United better invite Obamas to the opening game before any of the local teams do.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | January 3, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

77 days ........

Posted by: Curious99 | January 4, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

tomorrow is the 5th, right? can't wait for Goffinho to return from vacation...the void in my life has been unexpectedly vast!

Posted by: asocrlovr | January 4, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping Goff would have dropped some late night knowledge on the homies. Oh well.

Curious99 keep it coming:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 5, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

It's the 5th! Welcome back Goff.

Moderate the info, after succumbing to withdrawal, I fear a deluge of info may be overload....

Posted by: fonkyou | January 5, 2009 5:37 AM | Report abuse

This does not sound good for Donovan's chances of extending his loan with Bayern:

While Klose and Toni aren't getting any younger, they now have signed Olic and are looking likely to sign Tymoshuck. They have a "gentleman's agreement" with Gomez when his contract with Stuttgart expires, if not sooner, and still have Poldolski on roster. Unless Landon has a goal-per-game strikerate, there are just too many cooks in the kitchen in my view for Bayern to make the loan permanent.

Posted by: Josh8 | January 5, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

It is a race - who'll be first, Curious or Goff?

Either way, the return of an active SI makes the first full workweek of '09 more bearable!

Posted by: 22206no1 | January 5, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse