Simms, Toni, Bocanegra and U-20s

*The word in MLS circles today is that D.C. United and ironman midfielder Clyde Simms are applying the finishing touches to a new contract and might be prepared to make a formal announcement early next week. Simms's previous deal was to expire this month, leaving him free to negotiate overseas. (His MLS rights remained with DCU.) Simms earned $59,000 this season and probably received a hefty raise after starting almost every match in league and tournament play. Defender Bryan Namoff, however, remains unsigned.

*Luca Toni scored in the waning moments to give Bayern Munich a dramatic, 2-1 victory over surprise leader Hoffenheim, creating a tie atop the Bundesliga. Former Saint Louis University forward Vedad Ibisevic scored for the visitors shortly after halftime, but Philipp Lahm got the equalizer 11 minutes later for Bayern.

*Listen to USA defender Carlos Bocanegra talk about his most excellent season at Rennes on this USSF podcast.

*The Under-20 Women's World Cup final between the United States and North Korea will be shown live Sunday at 4:30 p.m. on ESPN2 and Galavision.

Enjoy the weekend. Feel free to use this thread for NCAA women's soccer comments or any other topics. I will return tomorrow afternoon with the result of the Maryland-Creighton match as soon as it concludes.

By Steve Goff  |  December 5, 2008; 4:23 PM ET
Categories:  Bundesliga , D.C. United , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: Matchday: Maryland-Creighton

Comments

Most Excellent season? We are, THE WILD STALLIONS!

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | December 5, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

The only movie in which Keanu Reeves acted with any sort of emotion.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 5, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Keanu Reaves acts?

The only movie in which Keanu Reeves acted with any sort of emotion.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 5, 2008 5:06 PM

Posted by: delantero | December 5, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

*"All we are is dust in the wind, dude."

*So Sunday ESPN2 lineup is now NCAA womens final at 2 and U20 womens world cup at 430. Either UNC or UCLA will have players in both games.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 5, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Go Korea!

Posted by: PVGtownAz | December 5, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Bring something when you have 12 major trophies. hey hey

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | December 5, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Station!

Simms re-signing is a fine way to start the weekend. I'm starting to wonder if Namoff is coming back, since he's at the age where this contract will make him too old to sign abroad. Obviously I have no idea what's going on, but it would seem to me that this is his best and last chance to get the Scandinavian payday. If his wife is up for it, I don't know if there's anything stopping him. It's just too much money to turn down for similar soccer in countries where the language won't be an obstacle.

The only silver lining for United is that, if he goes, McTavish gives us a very similar player at right back (where he'd be more comfortable). It would leave us needing another center back, but we needed to bring in at least one anyway.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 5, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey Keanu has some brilliant performances!
This link is not safe for work, church, or children who are not wearing ear muffs! It is some of Keanu's greatest work though:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 5, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Keanu has some brilliant performances!

Posted by: DadRyan | December 5, 2008 8:16 PM

Link:

Posted by: DadRyan | December 5, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Last time I saw Vedad he was being escorted off the pitch after at red card at UMD. His team (St Louis) has just been run over by the terps in the NCAA final 8 by a score of 4-2 after leading 2-0. I remember Goodson dominating him throught the match and he finally took a swing at somebody in frustration to earn the early shower.
He's done well for himself since; a little maturity has obviously helped.

Posted by: euroman | December 5, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Notre Dame v North Carolina in the women's final.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 5, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Bayern got somewhat lucky, they were outplayed for the first 60 minutes. They have Ribery and the size to dominate on setpieces but Hoffenheim was the better team in most other aspects. The winning goal came via Route 1 as a long ball from Bayern's keeper (I believe) was misplayed into the center by Hoffenheim's left back allowing Toni to an almost wide open shot from inside the penalty area.

I thought it was a very nice gesture from the Bundesliga to honor Lamar Hunt: Bayern seemed to wearing replica FC Dallas jerseys while Hoffenheim donned the colors of Kansas City.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 5, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Devon McTavish may seem like a "very similar player" to Bryan Namoff, but he isn't in Bryan's league - not yet, and probably never.

Posted by: b18bolo | December 5, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

b18bolo:

I think we have different opinions on how far apart they are. Given the choice for opening day next year, I'd start Namoff, but I also think we haven't seen McTavish at his best because his natural position is right back.

Namoff is already making $95K, and would be within his rights to ask for a decent raise. McTavish, meanwhile, was on $33K this season. He'll get a raise, but probably to only half of Namoff's salary. Unfortunately, in MLS it's always about the cap as much as the player's quality. It's hard to argue that any right back in MLS that isn't on a good national team is worth more than $100K, because of the relatively small gap in quality you'll lose for a player that costs $50K or even less. Leathers is first choice in KC on developmental money, and he's not bad.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't view Namoff as irreplaceable. I also don't think DCU can fit what he is good enough to ask for without shorting us somewhere else under the cap. If he decides to stay and only get a small-ish raise, then that's great: the club keeps a valuable player at below market value. If he decides to go, though, it a) won't be a surprise (I love this area, but if you offered me 4 times my salary to move to Norway or Denmark, I'd be on the next flight) and b) won't be a disaster.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 6, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Steve's excellent (to gratuitously continue the Bill and Ted references) piece on Maryland D Omar Gonzalez.

Now, let's begin to speculate on where he'll play professionally and internationally and ascribe those choices to the failure of MLS and USSF (just trying to get a head start).

Other match stuff here:

Pop quiz: Name the first (only?) DC United-U South Florida connection.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 6, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Jozy Altidore is getting the start today for Villarreal, according to this website:

Posted by: johnny500 | December 6, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Did someone such as Mark Chung or Jeff Cunningham once get a tryout with DCU?

Posted by: universityandpark | December 6, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Answer: Roy Wegerle

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 6, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | December 7, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that he's not that USF soccer player page, because he holds the single season scoring record at USF (21, according to his Wikipedia page).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 7, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse