Sunday Open House

Lots of Euro action today, including a matchup of American keepers as Aston Villa (Friedel) visits Everton (Howard).

NCAA women's final, North Carolina-Notre Dame 2 p.m. ET, ESPN2.

U-20 Women's World Cup final, USA-North Korea 4:30, ESPN2, Galavision.

For your reading entertainment, enjoy the stories about the Maryland victory from the Washington Post, Baltimore Sun and Omaha World Herald.

Video from Villarreal's three-goal comeback in the second half against Getafe (Altidore played 90):

By Steve Goff  |  December 7, 2008; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps Advance to Final Four
Next: USA, UNC Win Championships

Comments

Villarreal comeback was a fun one to watch.
Thanks for the reminder on the u-20s and the college action.
Maybe I'll be able to use some Jedi mind tricks to convince my wife we should go on a weeknight to do the Santa picture:-)

I mean, going to Tyson's today would be a bad idea wouldn't it?
Anyone know how the Santa is at Fair Oaks?
I know this isn't soccer related but, I really don't want to go someplace where they've got some old ladies trying to figure out how to use a digital camera and having trouble with the printer...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 7, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I mean, going to Tyson's today would be a bad idea wouldn't it?
To put it soccer terms, it would be like going into the Barra Brava wearing a Red Bull Jersey.

You could check out Ballston-- we've had good luck there.

Posted by: jmingus | December 7, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Got ya. Ballston is actually my local, not the worst choice as long as they've got fresh ink in their printer...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 7, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow, could Jozy's move to spain be going any better? two consecutive starts, for a team thats in second place in la liga. just wow. Its a shame Rossi turned down the usmt, what a strike tandem that could have been for team USA. No all we need it freddy to find the right team and we will be set.

Posted by: pino149 | December 7, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Awesome game between Everton and Aston Villa; it's a shame that two terrible mistakes led to Everton's undeserved loss.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | December 7, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow, beautiful first goal by Getafe

Posted by: carmines757 | December 7, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Is BobbyBoswell.com still working? I kept a few of his farewells. It seems down.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | December 7, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Messiah men and women win D3 national titles (again):

Posted by: joedoc | December 7, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

If you went to the mall and missed the Everton/Villa game too bad. It was fantastic down to the last second.

Can't say as much for the UNC/Notre Dame Women's final. A little slow. UNC had the better possession in the first half but is down a goal.They deserve to be at least even. Hope the U17 world cup final is a bit more lively!

Posted by: Beckster1 | December 7, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Didn't go to the mall. Thrilling/heartbreaking end of that match.

I did turn on the women's final a couple of minutes after kickoff and missed the first goal. Then I turned my back to answer the phone at the start of the second half and missed the tying goal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 7, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That Everton-Aston Villa game was thrilling -- and Villareal's comeback was also fun to watch. I would say these two games truly illustrated the differences in level of hte two leagues. Despite breakdowns by Everton, the offense just moves more crisply and quickly. There were a lot of errant passes in the La Liga game, especially near the touch lines.

Speaking of errant efforts, Jozy did play 90, and he did set up Rossi with a crafty give and go (I think it was even a back heel pass), but I wasn't overly impressed with Jozy. Headed one ball right at the goalie on a corner. Then, there was the header wide, when he thought he was fouled. Another, he snapped off well enough, I guess, but the goalie was still able to get it. At least, the rebound produced a goal. I thought Jozy looked terrible dribbling -- gave away a bunch of balls because he didn't have the skills he seemed to think he has. And, he looked lost when he didn't have the ball - not really putting himself in good positions when the ball was in the middle of the field.

However, he had the chance to witness two really skillful finishes around the net. And, he has such tremendous potential -- really unlimited, if he can improve his ball skills and really understand where to move to create scoring opportunities.

I really wish Brad Friedel would reconsider his USMNT retirement. He is still freaking awesome...For that matter, I wish Rossi hadn't chosen Italy. His ball skills are phenomenal, as his positioning and his laser shot.

Posted by: fischy | December 7, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Tar Heels take the lead 2-1 with 2 minutes to go on a sweet shot over the GK's fingertips. Hold on for the win.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 7, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Personally tried to watch Monaco to see if I could spot Adu on the bench or in the crowd... I'm not afraid to say that watching games to see two US keepers is a stretch for me. It would be nice to see Jozy get more playing time, but I agree with Fischy about him being unimpressive overall. The throwing up of the arms/thinking you're fouled crap is my least favorite thing some players seem to pick up overseas.
Happily didn't see much of that in the U-20 women's final. Morgan's goal was awesome. Congratulations to those ladies, they've made their country proud!
Missed the College final to go see Santa. I guess if you don't mind a little brown hair sticking out of Santa's white hair Ballston's a pretty good bet.:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 7, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

"The throwing up of the arms/thinking you're fouled crap is my least favorite thing some players seem to pick up overseas."
===================
Adu had that down before he left the USA.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 8, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse