Sundhage's Contract Extension

After guiding the USA women to Olympic gold this past summer, Coach Pia Sundhage has been rewarded with a contract extension through the 2012 Summer Games in London. The four-year deal also includes the 2011 World Cup in Germany. Terms were not disclosed. The Americans are 32-1-2 this year after defeating China, 1-0, on Saturday at Home Depot Center. They'll complete the 2008 calendar Wednesday against China in Detroit.

"Pia has demonstrated the qualities of a great leader, a great soccer tactician and she is a winner," USSF Prez Sunil Gulati said. "We are extremely happy to have her on board for the next cycle of the Women's World Cup and the Olympics and will be looking forward to seeing the Women's National Team program grow under her direction for the next four years."

"We've done so many things in a short amount of time and been successful so far," said Sundhage, a native of Sweden. "The reason it is so exciting to continue with this team is that I can see the potential. Last January, we started talking about keeping possession and finding the rhythm and I think we've done a pretty good job so far, but these next steps will be about going into the attacking third and being even more unpredictable, playing more beautiful soccer and scoring more goals. With this team spirit, the American culture, and the American way, we can make that happen in the coming years."

Any complaints?

By Steve Goff  |  December 15, 2008; 12:25 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: Monday Kickaround

Comments

What took them so long?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 15, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Time for Gulati to go . . .

Posted by: LCR-54 | December 15, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

If there's something to complain about regarding Swedish women it's news to me.

Posted by: KireDCU | December 15, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Anything is an improvement over April Heinrichs and Greg Ryan. I wouldn't mind seeing Tony DiCicco back especially after the U20 performances showed some promise, but Pia doesn't deserve the boot and has shown some signs of progress. It was good to see the team succeed without Abby. I can't wait to see more young'ns make the Senior team.

Posted by: sitruc | December 15, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Terrific. Sundhage like Tocqueville shows that sometimes the best interpreters of "the American way" are not Americans.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 15, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me you'd have to be really reaching to find fault with her tenure so far.

Although the locker room singing is certainly a demerit in my view...

Posted by: JkR- | December 15, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

clearly Sunil's best hire, I think.

Posted by: teo_68 | December 15, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I second the *what took so long*, sounds good to me.
What's wrong with singing in the locker room?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 15, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Best coach in USSF history

Posted by: LAStory | December 15, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I think she has done well especially considering the conditions she has had to work under, but it is still early to call her the best coach in USSF history. It's not like she has had to use scraps to make a decent meal. What's Bob Bradley's status? Was he given one of those you're coach until we re-evaluate at this date contracts? What about Nowak?

Posted by: sitruc | December 15, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

To get some creative soccer in the attacking third she is going to have to find some players who can dribble their way out of a paper bag. There hasn't been one since Mia Hamm.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 15, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Agree with the other posts - Pia has been a godsend to the program after April and Greg and she took a team that was a mess after the world cup, turned them around and without their most potent attacker and a couple of key defenders, won the olympics. I can't wait to see what she does next and how she molds the next generation to her style.

Posted by: Beckster1 | December 15, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I have no complaints. And after seeing Morgan, Washington and a few others on the U20s, I think there's a good crop coming up who can dribble out of a paper bag, see the cross-field pass, and make the off-side run.

Posted by: StevanF | December 15, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

There hasn't been one since Mia Hamm.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 15, 2008 4:02 PM