Terps Advance to Final Four

Rodney Wallace scored midway through the first half as Maryland defeated Creighton, 1-0, today at Ludwig Field to advance to the final four for the fifth time in seven years. The second-seeded Terrapins (21-3) won their 14th straight game and ended the seventh-seeded Bluejays' unbeaten streak at 15. Maryland will play third-seeded St. John's in Friday's semifinals at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Tex. Wallace, a sophomore left back from Rockville, headed in Michael Marchiano's free kick for only the 10th goal allowed by the Bluejays (16-2-2). The Terrapins dominated in shots (17-5) and corner kicks (15-1), and were threatened only a few times.

Other Games:
No. 3 St. John's 3, No. 6 Indiana 2 (OT)
(Red Storm overcame two-goal deficit late in regulation)
No. 13 North Carolina 1, Northwestern 0
No. 1 Wake Forest 5, No. 8 South Florida 0

By Steve Goff  |  December 6, 2008; 2:51 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: Maryland-Creighton
Next: Sunday Open House

Comments

Sounds like a great game; sorry I had to miss it. How was the crowd?

Posted by: Curious99 | December 6, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Saw Nicol and Mariner there. Anyone else see MLS coaches in the house? They were hanging on the MD defensive side, so I'm guessing either Gonzalez or the keeper were their targets. Then again Delagarza and Wallace had fantastic games, too.

Posted by: eadc | December 6, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I was there. The crowd was good. Not the most insane we've ever seen at Ludwig, but it was good given the weather. Not the best time to be sitting outside watching a soccer game. At least it wasn't windy, but it did start snowing towards the end.

Posted by: EricS2 | December 6, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Terps fan but I thought the Creighton goalie was alot of fun to watch. He did a great job but MD certainly seemed the better team.

Posted by: postreader118 | December 6, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

It looks like 3 of the 4 College Cup teams will be from the ACC and we could get a somewhat recent traditional match-up with Maryland and Indiana.

Posted by: sitruc | December 6, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

We sat behind the Creighton goalie Bryant(not Kobe) both halves. Lots of fun. Go Terps! Win it all!

Posted by: robinfickerofrobinrealty | December 6, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

eadc:

I wasn't at this game, but at the Maryland-Cal game I spotted John Harkes with his son and, from a distance, someone I'm around 75% sure was Tom Soehn. I'm sure there were a couple more notable types about, too.

I have fond memories of sitting just in front of Thomas Rongen and Ray Hudson when Rongen was with United and Hudson was with Miami. Hudson had the entire Miami staff with him, with John Trask taking extensive notes. Meanwhile, Rongen and Hudson reminisced about the NASL days, and just before halftime, Hudson took a call from Phil Schoen, who was recommending a bar to meet up at. Hudson and Rongen ducked out at halftime to go drink at said bar, leaving the Fusion staff to scout.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 6, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I saw Richie Williams (UVa, MF DC United and NY Red Bulls) at the game. He was sitting just below the press box. He seemed to be just enjoying the game, not scouting anyone. I saw a scout at the last regular season game against UNC

More people at this game than the Cal game when students were on break, but not as many as Duke or Wake Forest. I guess about 4-5,000.

Much better crowd involvement, and exciting match. Creighton controlled the ball, field position, and shots in the first ten minutes, but after that it was total domination by Maryland. They outnumbered Creighton on corner kicks by something like 12-1.

This allowed for more fan participation in a positive way --stomping metal bleachers -- than hearing the "you suck" chants from MD students.

Posted by: Instructor5 | December 6, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I saw St. Johns twice this season and was not impressed. I guess they were much better in all of the matches I didn't see. They get the OT win and will face Maryland in the College Cup.

Posted by: sitruc | December 6, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robinfickerofrobinrealty | December 6, 2008 5:59 PM
=======================

Robin Ficker reads this blog?

Shhhhhh. No-one say "raise taxes."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 6, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I saw Hamilton Johnson at the game.

Posted by: vourlekj | December 6, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I went to both the Cal and Creighton game and it's a great time out there at Ludwig Field. Ten bucks and you see some of the best that college soccer has to offer. Maryland will be strong again next season so get out there and support the Terps.

They should have won 4-0 today. Creighton's goalie Brian Holt, all 5'8" of him made some gaffes but he also made some key saves. Maryland also hit a crossbar. Terps out shot Creighton 17-5 and had 15 corner kicks to their 1.

Go Terps!!!

Posted by: BBride | December 6, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I think I saw Ralph Friegen

Posted by: jmingus | December 6, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I tawt I taw a puddy tat.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 6, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

BBride,

I agree with you 100 percent. Great time for just $10 in College Park, and I enjoyed the crowd involvement also.

I've only been to one match each of the last two seasons, but I plan to go to more next year. Congrats to the Terps!

Posted by: billindmd | December 6, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

* A double for the Messiah men and women.

* Ficker at soccer games. Oh boy.

Posted by: OWNTF | December 7, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse