Thursday Kickaround

I'll be busy much of the day working on College Cup material for Friday's print edition and web site, including a look at Maryland's extraordinary rise since Coach Sasho Cirovski's arrival 15 years ago. Which means I probably won't have much time to contribute to the Insider. So let's start with this very modest arrangement of data and see how it goes.

*The FIFA Club World Cup got underway in Tokyo today with Adelaide (Asia runner-up) defeating Waitakere (Oceania champion), 2-1. CONCACAF winner Pachuca faces African champion Al-Ahly tomorrow. Adelaide advanced to play Asian champion Gamba Osaka. Manchester United and Liga de Quito received byes to the semifinals.

*The final 16 teams in the UEFA Champions League are set: Roma*, Chelsea, Panathinaikos*, Inter Milan, Barcelona*, Sporting Lisbon, Liverpool*, Atletico Madrid, Manchester United*, Villarreal, Bayern Munich*, Lyon, Porto*, Arsenal, Juventus*, Real Madrid (*group winner). None of the group winners will face each other in the next stage. The round-of-16 draw will be held next Friday and the first leg of each series is set for Feb. 24.

*Australia secures government funding for a 2018 World Cup bid. What do you think of their chances?

*A salute to Timber Jim.

*Soccer on TV today:
Caribbean Cup semis, Cuba-Grenada 8 p.m. ET Fox Soccer Channel
Mexican finals first leg, Cruz Azul-Toluca 9 p.m. Azteca America
Caribbean Cup semis, Jamaica-Guadeloupe 11 p.m. FSC

*Soccer on TV tomorrow:
NCAA, Wake Forest-UNC 5:30 p.m. ESPN2
NCAA, Maryland-St. John's 8 p.m. ESPNU (tape on ESPN2 at 11 p.m. Friday 11 a.m. Saturday)
Club World Cup, Pachuca-Al Ahly 11:30 p.m. FSC

By Steve Goff  |  December 11, 2008; 9:09 AM ET
Categories:  Club World Cup , Euro Champions League , FIFA , TV , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps Prospects (Continued)
Next: College Cup Poll

Comments

I didn't see the game but the result indicates a very, very respecatble showing for Waitakere. The partimers didn't get blown away.

On the otherhand the Aussie side really needs to do some soul seraching...

Posted by: yankiboy | December 11, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Timbe Jim gets his own post. The man is too great in my book to share a posting with anyone or anything else unless it is the Portland Timbers.

if you have never seen him on FSC or the Portland area cable, I recommend that you Youtube that guy. Hardcore. Just like the TA. Folks that sleep on the USL may not have any idea of what an "event" (for lack of a better word) the man has been. Or how he and the TA bring it. He was the orchestra leader. Joe Strummer and Mick Jones all wrapped up in the same burly guy weilding a chain saw, rockin' a Timbers Jersey. Rapelling down a cable from the rafters. Timber Jim. American "TIFO". Hardcore. Legend...

Posted by: yankiboy | December 11, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

yankiboy:

GREAT post about Timber Jim!

Cheers,
SG

Posted by: Steve Goff | December 11, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Tough question... which is a bigger joke and less relevant; Confederations Cup or the Club World Cup?

Posted by: Kev29 | December 11, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Australia could do a great job. They ran a very successful Olympics (a lot of the programs used in Beijing were developed by Sydney) and have a lot of potential, both in terms of players and as fans.

Posted by: kingchros | December 11, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | December 11, 2008 9:42 AM

*******************************************

I like the concept. The big Euro clubs who compete will always try to downplay it since they feel they have little to earn by winning it and could lose a lot of respect and reconginition if they appeared to take it more seriously and lost.

It's not feasible to have a longer Cup format w teams from opposite sides of the globe but it's good the competition exists. The matchups are much more compelling to me than stuff like the Man U - Aalborg "Champions" league bait and switch foisted upon us by ESPN yesterday.

Pachuca and al Ahly should be an interesting matchup. Last year Pachuca thought it outplayed it's Egyptian (was it a different team?) but lost 1-0 on a deflected shot. Al Ahly has many of the players that won the African Nations Cup for Egypt last winter.

The winner of this game could pull off an upset against the bigger Euro or South American teams (if you consider the team from Ecuador bigger) -at least more likely to do so than the Australian team.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 11, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Politically, Australia faces an uphill battle. The Europeans will want the 2018 tournament badly. Outside Europe, the U.S. is in a much stronger position to host the Cup than Australia, simply due to its market size (plus, the U.S. has improved a lot as a soccer nation since 1994). Also, I don't think FIFA is ready to send the Cup to the Far East so soon after Korea/Japan.

Posted by: SSMD1 | December 11, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, would love to see Austrlaia get the World Cup in 2018.

Posted by: roadkit | December 11, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Australia would be a fun World Cup site, but it's not going to happen. It will be England in 2018, then maybe USA v Australia for rights for 2022.

Goff, any hints yet on where the Feb 11 Mexico qualifier will take place?

Posted by: sawsuaa | December 11, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | December 11, 2008 9:42 AM
==========================

Confederations Cup winner v Club World Cup winner in a no-subs, no fouls, cage match!

I would not want the WC18 in Australia. It would be a disaster for fans watching from Europe and the US. By 2018 I will be too old to get up early and watch live matches and still too cheap to get TiVo.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 11, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I still think the '18 Cup is headed to Europe. Either England or Benelux.

However, much to my chagrin, what I've read recently about FIFA politics == specifically the addition of an Aussie to FIFA's Board and the ongoing fiasco that is Jack Warner -- suggests to me that the Land Down Under is first in line for '22.

USA in '26, if it's still possible to play soccer in the temperatures we will have here in the summer of '26... Maybe, it will be the first all indoors tournament....

Posted by: fischy | December 11, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: targetmedia | December 11, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

If you have a team of "Part Timers" competing in the Club finals tournament, that doesn't say much for the competition or its value.

On the other hand, a true FIFA World Club Cup something along the lines of the regular World Cup played every 4 years with the top 24 or 36 Club Teams in the World would be massive.

Posted by: dcufan53 | December 11, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

re: I still think the '18 Cup is headed to Europe. Either England or Benelux.

Posted by: fischy | December 11, 2008 12:13 PM

Yes, with the sun-spot activity at/near an apparent Maunder Minimum, who knows there could be 10 feet of snow on the ground through the summer in the US even before then.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

USA/MEX in either Seattle or Salt Lake CIty?

Posted by: targetmedia | December 11, 2008 12:57 PM

No habla - what's the gist?

Seattle would surprise me, because US Soccer doesn't want to do FieldTurf and would have to put in temporary grass. Though I guess they wouldn't mind a big event to lead into the first Sounders MLS campaign. Salt Lake isn't a bad shout.

Columbus as a soccer town, despite a fresh MLS Cup, seems to be losing more and more juice by the minute.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 11, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

You Are My Sunshine
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away

Congtats Timber Jim!!!!

Posted by: kenemerc | December 11, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I meant Congrats Timber Jim!!!

Posted by: kenemerc | December 11, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

There's still a decent chance we'll end up hosting the Cup in 2014 if Brazil can't get their act together. Hell, I'm still not convinced that South Africa will really be ready for the event in 2010.

Posted by: alecw81 | December 11, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

On the ESPN2 tape-delayed showing of the MD/StJ game you list above - that 11 is actually 11AM Saturday, not 11pm Friday as I had assumed.

But I can't find a listing for the 3rd place game at all.

Posted by: dcufan | December 11, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Brazil will do quite nicely as a host. Their country is in better financial shape than ours.

Posted by: fischy | December 11, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really get ESPNU? Comcast is the devil!

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | December 12, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse