United Roster Move

With MLS rosters slashed from 28 players to 24 and the reserve division dissolved, many young players are going to be out of the league. D.C. United has made its first move by waiving midfielder-defender Jeff Carroll, who was with the club for three seasons and appeared in only two league matches (both in 2006). He was sidelined much of this year with a toe injury. A few other young players in danger of losing their roster spot will probably be given a chance to earn a job in preseason or seek a USL gig. As we told you a couple weeks ago, the club has declined the option on the contracts of Rod Dyachenko, Gonzalo Martinez, Quavas Kirk and Gonzalo Peralta, but hopes to renegotiate at a lower salary with Peralta and perhaps Kirk.

By Steve Goff  |  December 1, 2008; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: MLS Player Watch

Comments

Wow. The outrage.

Posted by: Reignking | December 1, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little surprised at which Carroll went first. Not that Jeff ever played often enough to really show himself as a player, but on the rare occasions he did play, I thought he was better than Pat. I remember him being perhaps the only player that didn't embarrass himself in the Open Cup humiliation at Harrisburg City.

Looking down the remaining players on the roster, I think Thorpe, Pat Carroll, Miller, and possibly Cordeiro are in some danger amongst the developmental players. Koroma is an international and was referred to as someone they wanted to work on for more than a couple months, while Zaher and Thompson didn't look out of place when they got their minutes.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 1, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Bye, all you Carrolls :-(

Steven, does MLS still plan to keep a pool of reserve goalkeepers? If so, I guess all the teams will be carrying two instead of three next year.

Definitely an interesting 8 weeks ahead :-)

Posted by: dcufan | December 1, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

man Roddy is gone..:tear:
lol

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | December 1, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

three years and two appearances? Yeah, that's not a good use of the reserve system for anyone over the age of 20. Jeff needs to go find himself a team he can get minutes for to develop and MLS teams need to go use these slots on young players with upside. Reserve and developmental players should be working towards the possibility of first team minutes, not languishing on the bench. Carroll wasn't providing depth, even before the injury, he was never going to be more than a uniform filler for friendlies and early round cup matches, he deserves the reality check of going to a team or league where he'll sniff the pitch. Since there are so few spots, reserve players should be limited to two years after the age of 22. If you can't push for a senior spot by then, cycle them out and find someone else. I would grant a medical 'redshirt' year if the player is deactivated due to injury before June 1. And heck, I'll give one more reserve year on another MLS team in case someone else wants to take a flyer on him.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | December 1, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I thought Cordeiro looked pretty good for a first year player. We definitely need some wingers and now that we have dropped Dyastinko and J. Carroll, he with Namoff and Quaranta (both in 2001) represents the only guys obtained via the SuperDraft.

Posted by: combedge | December 1, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree with a couple of them but Gonzalo Martinez and Gonzalo Peralta??!!??

both solid though they did take a while to jell with the team.

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | December 1, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

No quibbles here. As I've posted before, I would rather see United take that money and find a more talented defender than Peralta, and a younger, fitter and more committed one than Martinez. Kirk did not look good in a DCU kit, but if he agrees to a salary suitable to a back-up, even if it doesn't suit his wardrobe -- he's still very young and may improve.

As they cut down to 20-man roster, we might see a decent prospect or two cut loose -- however, it remains possible that the new CBA will set a higher roster limit....I hope the FO shows patience.

Posted by: fischy | December 1, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame about Jeff Carroll, because he always looked good in reserve division matches. I thought 2008 would be the year that he became a regular with the first team, but he never got over those injuries. I'm sure he saw this coming, but it sucks that some of these young guys are going to have to start new careers in this economy.

Posted by: DCUMD | December 1, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"declined the option on the contracts of Rod Dyachenko"

It's a celebration
Celebrate good times, come on! celebration
Celebrate good times, come on!
celebration
Celebrate good times, come on! celebration

WOOO! PARTAY!

Posted by: redskinsux | December 1, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I agree with a couple of them but Gonzalo Martinez and Gonzalo Peralta??!!??

both solid though they did take a while to jell with the team.

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | December 1, 2008 2:42 PM
___________________________________________

Based on Goff's statement that they may pursue a new contract with Peralta, I don't think that DCU does not think that they have value to the team, just perhaps not as much value as their previous contracts were dictating. I think if Peralta is willing to take a healthy pay cut, he will be here next year.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | December 2, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I think Gonzalo Martinez and Gonzalo Peralta should stay a longer time but low their salary

Posted by: barza28 | December 2, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse