USA Training Camp Roster

A very brief return to introduce the 25 players invited to the first USA training camp of 2009, which opens Sunday at Home Depot Center. The Americans will play Sweden on Jan. 24 in a friendly in Carson (8:30 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel). Many of Bob Bradley's top players will remain with their clubs abroad or take time off until the second stage of training commences in the period leading to the World Cup qualifier against Mexico on Feb. 11 in Columbus.

GOALKEEPERS: Jon Busch (Chicago), Will Hesmer (Columbus), Troy Perkins (Valerenga), Matt Pickens (out of contract).
DEFENDERS: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Danny Califf (Midtjylland), Sean Franklin (Los Angeles), Cory Gibbs (Colorado), Clarence Goodson (Start), Chad Marshall (Columbus), Chris Wingert (Real Salt Lake), Marvell Wynne (Toronto).
MIDFIELDERS: Geoff Cameron (Houston), Brian Carroll (Columbus), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Eddie Gaven (Columbus), Stuart Holden (Houston), Jack Jewsbury (Kansas City), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Robbie Rogers (Columbus), John Thorrington (Chicago).
FORWARDS: Brian Ching (Houston), Kenny Cooper (Dallas), Charlie Davies (Hammarby), Chris Rolfe (Chicago).

"This is the beginning of a big year for the national team, and it is important that we get started off heading in the right direction," Bradley said. "This is another great opportunity to reinforce the principles of how this team operates both on and off the field, as well as getting players ready for the match against Sweden and the first World Cup qualifier this year against Mexico in February."

By Steve Goff  |  December 30, 2008; 4:09 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Happy Holidays
Next: MLS Updates

Comments

Did D.C.U. ever look at Matt Pickins? Dosent seem like he would be asking for DP type money.

Posted by: TheJim1 | December 30, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

TheJim:

Pickens would probably be a touch cheaper than Crayton, but I don't think he would be an improvement. He'd be a more traditional keeper, which I imagine most people would find more comforting, but I pretty firmly believe that what we'd gain in conventional keeping we'd lose in pure shot-stopping ability (not to mention that most of Crayton's excursions out of the box ended up putting out a fire).

Plus, I don't think I'll ever be able to get the image of Pickens inexplicably ducking so Moreno's errant cross could gently fall into the Chicago goal and give us a frankly undeserved point a couple years back.

***

I can't say I'm surprised by anything on this list, save maybe Jewsbury. Good, versatile player, but from where I sit Simms is a clearly better choice. You could also argue that Larentowicz is better in that role. I was a little surprised by Wingert, but since Wynne and Franklin are in I think that Wingert is being considered as a left back first rather than his slightly more usual right back. In that case, I'd rather see Harrington get in, since I think Wingert is as developed as he'll ever get while Harrington offers an awful lot of potential.

I also think Quaranta would be a better choice than Cameron. This post is descending into blatant homerism, but I can at least say it's not reflexive. I suppose it's just nitpicking, since when it comes time to actually play games, none of the people I mentioned (and very few of those in this camp) will be fighting for a spot in the team. Realistically, only 1 of the 4 keepers will stay. Of the defenders, I imagine it'd be Califf or Marshall, and Bornstein due solely to total lack of competition at left back. Clark, Kljestan, and possibly Rogers could stick from the midfielders. Up front, I think it'll 1 of either Ching or Cooper and 1 of either Davies or Rolfe.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

82 days to United's first game.

Posted by: Curious99 | December 30, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait till Bob Bradley gets canned (following WC2010) and the national team gets a REAL coach

Posted by: Eugene7 | December 30, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell,

While I feel that Simms and Quaranta deserve inclusion into the USMNT Annual January camp, I know how unlikely Simms would see playing time at CM during this time. I'm happy with him having the extra days away from competitive training/football.

I'm also happy that Quaranta is less likely to injure his hamstring/groin. A healthy Quaranta is a very good thing.

---
Eugene7,

Hey! Bob Bradley's a real coach. He's got a jacket and certification and history and everything.

Seriously, Bradley's a good tactical manager, employing the expected conservative approach to international football. I -- and many others out here in internet land -- may want to see Bradley abandon the bucket (4-2-4-0, please), free Adu, Cooper, Kljestan, et al., and establish a >+20 aggregate during the hex.

However, injuries are a worry in CONCACAF, especially for skilled players from this country. International football has trended more conservatively in recent years, giving greater power to counter-attacking football. The bucket midfield is effective, if boring.

That said, I wouldn't want Bob Bradley to be my primary talent evaluator. I don't think he's poor at evaluation, but he's not Boro Primorac.

Posted by: B_A_ | December 30, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

The Fire own Pickens' MLS rights. I doubt anyone here would know what their asking price would be. There's also no indication that he is interested in returning to MLS.

Posted by: fischy | December 30, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

How many years until Obama marks the opening game at Poplar Point?

Posted by: fischy | December 30, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

How many years until Obama marks the opening game at Poplar Point?

Posted by: fischy | December 30, 2008 7:57 PM
===================

Two years after Congress passes, and the States ratify, the 28th Amendment that repeals the 22nd.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 30, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty happy with this list. Good to see the inclusion of some fresh names who deserve to be in the mix like Marshall, Hesmer, Rolfe, and Franklin.

Agree with Chest though... Jewsbury? Really?

Posted by: DCUMD | December 30, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Jewsbury is fine. Fantasy wise he's actually a pretty stellar pick in comparison to Simms in regard to scoring ability. So what though right?
Does Quaranta have any interest in the National team anyway? I'll be happy with him coming correct for United in 09. I'd love to see him get some call ups, if he is looking for them and after he's gotten into a little better shape. I'm not sure he's out of the woods yet.
(Q if you're reading this, I believe in you bro.)
He's gotta be a little immature considering he's spent so much time as a golden boy/addict/in recovery. I'm certain his agent will give the secret signal when it's even on the radar. Tino's still got a ways to go.
That being said, it would be sick if he comes out next year scoring goals like a phychopath and shredding his shirts off his chest and finds himself somehow redeemed in the National team in 2010.:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 31, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

That reads a little gay.
Yo, Tino head up dog!
Bring the Ruckus Q!

Posted by: DadRyan | December 31, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

This isn't a national team squad, it's a cast list for "Life on the D List."

How come no-one ever mentions McTavish? He's got as much potential as half of this lot.

Posted by: oz4dcu | December 31, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

What at stealing second base?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 31, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Well, at least with some new names on the list it opens the door for some speculation. which is always fun.

I'd like to see a starting 11 of
Perkins
Wynne Califf Marshall Bornstein
Holden Clark Kljestan Rogers
Ching Cooper

Out of that group, I think our midfield shows some real promising youth. So that's good news. The forwards, on the whole, are still our achilles heel.

Also I'd have to say that, from what was traditionally a US strength, our goalkeeping is not what it ought to be.

However, having said all that, unless the Swedes are in a really terrible run of form, we're going to get housed. I don't know, because I haven't seen them play at all recently. But you'd have to think our 3rd string isn't going to show much against any half decent european side. Does anybody have any insights into the current Swedish team? Or any idea if they are bringing a young/inexperienced team as well?

Posted by: Matte | December 31, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody have any insights into the current Swedish team?

Posted by: Matte | December 31, 2008 9:25 AM
=================

They've got some guy named Zlatan Ibrahimovic. I hear he's not too bad.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 31, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1:
Ah yes, well played.

Posted by: Matte | December 31, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

$100 says Zlatan will not be playing this friendly. Any suckers...er I mean any takers?

Posted by: Eugene7 | December 31, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I imagine the Swedes are likely to field a 3rd string team, too. I know there was at least one winter USA-Sweden friendly in recent years where I couldn't identify any of the Swedish players.

I just hope they remember to bring Bo Svenson.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 31, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Anyone that doesn't realize that this January camp is pretty much always "Camp Fringe" for both us and whatever batch of domestic-based Vikings that want to escape 20 hours of darkness isn't paying attention (which is not unusal here on the internets)...

Posted by: EricB1 | December 31, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Right, the Swedes will concede lots of goals because they will be shielding their eyes against the unacustomed sunlight.

Posted by: b18bolo | December 31, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I am setting the over-under on the amount of times Bretos says the word 'Ljungberg' during the game at 14.... any takers?

Posted by: IamAM | December 31, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Ljungberg couldn't possibly be playing in the match, but that hasn't stopped Bretos from going on and on about things other than the games he's commentating on right?

What are the chances that Bretos mentions Underwear, Beckham, and Ljungberg in the same match that neither of them will be playing in?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 31, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse