Wednesday Kickaround

*If D.C. United plans to acquire Honduran forward Walter Martinez, it will have to do business with Marathon, which owns his contract despite the fact that he's been playing for a club in Beijing. The agent handling Martinez's MLS pursuits is also representing Honduran national team defender Victor Bernardez, 26, who is being wooed by Los Angeles. I'm told a deal with the Galaxy could very well be struck as early as Dec. 12 when talks will take place in Honduras.

*Remember Andrew Jacobson, the Cal midfielder drafted by D.C. last winter who signed in France instead? Here's an update. (Make note of the final paragraph.)

*And so the scheduling conflicts begin: The second weekend of the MLS season (March 28) is the same as the second matchday of final-round CONCACAF World Cup qualifying when the USA visits El Salvador, Honduras goes to T&T and Mexico hosts Costa Rica. National teams will remain together for another qualifier April 1. There are four MLS games on March 28, one on April 2.

*Down goes Arsenal, which had called on its youngsters.

*TV today:
Carling Cup, Watford-Spurs 2 p.m. Setanta
UEFA Cup, Manchester City-PSG 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Italian Cup, AC Milan-Lazio 2:45 p.m. GolTV
Copa Sudamericana, Internacional-Estudiantes 6:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Bumbles, Burl Ives and an Aspiring Dentist 8 p.m. CBS
Mexico, Cruz Azul-Atlante 10 p.m. Azteca America

Not sure how much blogging I will do today. We'll see. Cheers.

By Steve Goff  |  December 3, 2008; 9:01 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cannon, Convey, Schelotto and Alcantara
Next: Diving Exhibition

Comments

I assume DC has rights for a "return" to MLS for Jacobson?

Posted by: sitruc | December 3, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

SG,

Whatever you'll be doing today, make it holly-jolly.

Posted by: BaltoFan | December 3, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Return is possible - but he's doing just fine there to me shows you that the young talent is not stocking the bottom of an MLS roster but would rather learn a foreign language in order to pull a paycheck.

Yikes.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | December 3, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Another TV listing...

Carling Cup, Watford-Tottenham 2:45pm. Setanta

Posted by: Kev29 | December 3, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for all your updates, specially upcoming (possible) transfers, who resigned and all that.

Heard anything new on Donovan loan/transfer and a possible replacement (Twellmann) ?

Posted by: Ben7LA | December 3, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

What has DC done with trying to resign Peralta and Quavis? Since they are going into so many different tourneyments, why don't they just have an even 22 man roster?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | December 3, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

that man city / psg game looks pretty good. if only i had set the tivo before i left for work.

i wish andrew jacobson all the best. hey, he'll never play for dc, but we'll always be a minor footnote in his wikipedia page. that counts for something, right?

Posted by: stairs | December 3, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the setanta reminder

i will add that match as well as the copa sudamericana tonite

Posted by: Steve Goff | December 3, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stairs | December 3, 2008 10:34 AM

You could watch on ESPN360, if you have the right ISP account, operating system and firewall combos. So yeah, probably not.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 3, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Sounds awesome. Maybe we'll have two Catrachos missing time with United this year instead of just one.
We're doomed. The sky is falling. Might as well just write off the 09 season already...
Thanks for the heads up on the matches Goff! Got my wisdom teeth out on Monday, and that link to the Aspiring Dentist sure didn't help me forget;-(
Stoked to see some football this afternoon though:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | December 3, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------
I've used ESPN360 on three different laptops using three different OSs (Vista, XP, and Mac) using Explorer and Firefox, with no problems.

Posted by: edgeonyou | December 3, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

While the schedule thing remains a problem, it's a relatively nice problem to have. Teams that don't have any national team talent aren't likely to do too well in MLS, either.

Thanks for the link to the Jacobson profile, Goff. Seems like one determined player -- not unlike our own Ben Olsen. Sorry to learn about his terrible injury. I've been there, done that with the ACL and broken ankle. That he's back, even for scrimmages at that level, is a real tribute to the kid.

I'm sure he'd prefer to play in Europe, but I'd still like to see him here. I'm sure he'd be a fan favorite.

So, why does the play in MLS continue to be so plodding, compared with other professional leagues?

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I would be somewhat surprised to see Victor 'Muma' Bernardez go to LA. Muma is massive presence in the back with wicked foot, very capable of scoring. He had some trials in Europe (eg Birmingham), but I guess he is desperate to leave Motagua.

Posted by: nico78 | December 3, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edgeonyou | December 3, 2008 11:25 AM

Yes, but what ISP's were you on? I can use it at home with my Verizon account (love the picture), but it won't get through my firewall at work (Vista) even with my Verizon user/password.

Sorry, this is kind of nerdy talk, but ESPN are picking up a lot of soccer for 360. If you don't have one of their participating service providers then you're out of luck.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 3, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what the discovery rules are, but maybe DCU could offer the agent a two-fer package? I recall being impressed with Bernardez....I'm afraid that DC sets its sights too low. There are definitely some really talented Central and South Americans who'd like to play here.

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

It's kinda funny that Jacobson played in the Futsal World Cup as part as his rehab from injury.

Not on TV in our area but - depending on your luck and what you can get away with on a Wednesday afternoon - you may be able to find a livestream webcast of Oguchi Onyewu's Standard Liege playing Sampdoria in the UEFA Cup at 245 pm. Standard only needs a point at home to clinch advancement to the next stage.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 3, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

OK, that's a slight exaggeration.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 3, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

DCU has not done badly (that I can recall) with the Honduran Internationals that we have obtained. Since World Cup 82 in Spain when the quality of Honduran players was really first recognized, catrachos have been playing for clubs large and small around the world. If they can get some decent goalkeeping in the hexogonal - watch out, they are skilled and very quick. We saw how Marthon completely outplayed us in the CCL. The National team will need to find a way to beat Costa Rica which has always been difficult for them.

Posted by: sbg1 | December 3, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

On an earlier thread I suggested that all college soccer players take a Scandinavian language. I, too, was slightly exaggerating - then.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 3, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

re:

"By summer 2010, every single member of the US team could be playing in Belgium or Norway.

OK, that's a slight exaggeration.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 3, 2008 12:43 PM "

Yeah maybe just the married ones.

Posted by: Ron16 | December 3, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

We want more! We want more!

Posted by: redskinsux | December 3, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Fischy-
"Teams that don't have any national team talent aren't likely to do too well in MLS, either."
Ouch. I'm not sure if that's exactly accurate.

And by "plodding" do you mean, rigid in restrictions made by the league? I agree-- that is a good question.

Posted by: redskinsux | December 3, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow it's awfully smokey in Milan, eh?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 3, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

I would think that for Peterson to become a fan favorite he'd have to put in a lot of work. He did, after all, turn us down pretty coldly last year. I mean, if I ask a woman out and she says "Nah, you're not as good as that guy over there", I wouldn't exactly jump for joy if she came back a year later and said "Uh, so, maybe you aren't so bad, perhaps?"

sbg1:

Somehow, I don't think Marathon beating our reserves is analogous to the situation between the US and Honduras in the Hex. Last time I checked, we don't have any US internationals seeing most of their game time at the RFK Auxiliary Field...or at RFK, for that matter (ouch). I'm not saying Honduras is weak (I have them beating Costa Rica to the 3rd qualification spot), but using Marathon's success against us is a big stretch.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 3, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Chest:
Ah, exactly how hot is the woman in question? :)

Posted by: Kosh2 | December 3, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"Fischy-
Ouch. I'm not sure if that's exactly accurate. "
----------------
Agree with Redskinsux - actually having MNT players in a World cup year (or during a heavy qualifiying period) can hurt the team - DCU wasn't the same in 2006 with all the time Olsen was away.

Posted by: Beckster1 | December 3, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Then again, DC reached the MLS Cup final in 98 with Goose, Pope, and Wegerle (but not Harkes) in France. We missed them and a number of foreign internationals in 97 due to qualifiers. Anyone else remember thinking "Gee, Kris Kelderman is starting."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | December 3, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Kosh:

Considering that Peterson wasn't an Olympian and likely would have been used no more often than Vide was (very different players, but bear with me), I'd say we're not exactly talking about a Victoria's Secret model. Respectable, but somewhere short of spectacular, how's that?

***

Gooch scores, Standard is up 3-0 and looks like they might be able to make some noise in the knockout stages.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 3, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

270:

My reaction was something along the lines of "Kris Kelderman! He was my soccer camp counselor!"

Any other veterans of Mark Mettrick's day camps out there?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | December 3, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Not to belabor a point, but if that's the example, then I win. DC won the Supporters' Shield in '06. They obviously did well enough when they had Olsen in the lineup to make up for any fall-off when he wasn't. DC had a bunch of players who had seen time with national teams (or, in the case of Perkins, would get a callup later)(Moreno, Olsen, Boswell, Carroll, Simms, Eskandarian, Adu, Namoff, Gros, Rimando, Perkins -- I'm probably missing some).

The point is that if you don't have any players of that caliber, you don't have a very good team

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- The guy's name is Jacobson, not Peterson.

As for having a following, I meant that in the way that Agoos did. There are a lot of Jewish fans here that will cheer a little harder for one of their own.

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Why is the stadium in this Milan/Lazio match so empty?
Not the worst match to have streaming on a Oxycodone Wednesday afternoon. Deep into extra time now. 101st minute...

Posted by: DadRyan | December 3, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Ownership group for Major League Soccer in Vancouver reconsiders franchise fee

Posted by: Reignking | December 3, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Why is the stadium in this Milan/Lazio match so empty?

Posted by: DadRyan | December 3, 2008 4:54 PM

It's the Coppa.

Does anyone in the world care about their cup(s) other than the English and Scottish? Germans maybe?

Posted by: Kev29 | December 3, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Ownership group for Major League Soccer in Vancouver reconsiders franchise fee

Posted by: Reignking | December 3, 2008 5:00 PM

Hmmm, normal procedure/negotiations, or is the 2011 expansion process starting to sour?

Posted by: Kev29 | December 3, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Fishy: "Not to belabor a point, but if that's the example, then I win."

You win what?

Posted by: redskinsux | December 3, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Fishy: "Not to belabor a point, but if that's the example, then I win."

You win what?

Posted by: redskinsux | December 3, 2008 5:37 PM
----------------------------------------

I think Goff hands out $10 in WaPo wampum to the one who wins each day's mostly hotly contested debate...

Posted by: fischy | December 3, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Here's an article which includes a pic of Gooch using his head to get ahead.

Hopefully the pic won't change but it might since it's just part of CNN's UEFA Cup round-up. Anyway, his team Standard Liege impressively beat Sampdoria 3-0 to advance to the UEFA Cup knockout stages sometime early next year (Gooch will almost certainly be playing elsewhere).

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | December 3, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse