Americans Abroad

Eddie Johnson plays in added time in Cardiff's 0-0 FA Cup tie with Arsenal
Freddy Adu not in the 18 for Monaco's 1-0 French Cup win over Nice
Jozy Altidore not in the 18 for Villarreal's 1-1 tie with Osasuna

Did I miss anyone?

By Steve Goff  |  January 26, 2009; 10:26 AM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Beckham's Goal
Next: Monday Kickaround

Comments

NotInThe18.com would be great web site for Americans Abroad tracking.

Posted by: Reignking | January 26, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Jesus! You could make a hell of an attacking 5 a side team with our American brothers who can't even crack the 18 in Europe! What a shame... Just put EJ in goal...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 26, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Riegnking: you got that right!

Posted by: roadkit | January 26, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

You forgot Joe "the Plumber" score a hat trick while he was in Israel playing a scrimmage against Al-Jazeera reporters.

Posted by: fedster | January 26, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Adu can't even get in a cup match now? I'd rather be consistently playing in MLS than consistently not playing in any of Europe's leagues.

Pull a Donovan and come back and improve your game before trying it again.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | January 26, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff, any idea what is the story with Ali Krieger, Frankfurt and Wash Freedom?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 26, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

What's the deal with Altidore? Wasn't he consistently getting mop-up time minutes a few months ago?

Or was that all cup play? I have to confess that I don't know enough about La Liga to interpret when he plays and when he sits. All told, as an American soccer fan, I wish that Villareal had followed through on their plans to loan him to that smaller Spanish team; at least then he'd be getting some time on the field.

Posted by: MattinSW | January 26, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I wish someone would report on Beasley and Edu - they should really be breaking into the 18 on THAT Rangers squad.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | January 26, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

MattinSW, last I heard (correct me if I'm wrong here, SG) Jozy was out injured during the Christmas break. The Toffees wanted him on loan and Villarreal said "No". I bet other teams have inquired about him and most likely got the same answer. Villarreal certainly has Jozy in their plans, so I'm none too worried about his lack of playing time. He's a young kid on a team that is stacked at his position. He will earn his place. I know we want him to be ready now, but we are talking about a top La Liga side that has deep tradition and vast experience in developing young players. I am sure they know what they are doing. The kid's in the right hands and I am sure he's doing all the right things to maintain Villarreal's highest regard.

Now in the case of the other guys? I don't know...I just don't know.

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 26, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@hoyanick -- there's been reporting on Edu and Beasley. Beas is concerned about his lack of playing time, and how it might affect his chances with the USMNT. I think he'd gladly go somewhere else, if it's offered. Edu, for some reason, is determined to prove himself in Glasgow. He rejected the idea of a loan out.

It really is amazing that these guys can't even get into a Cup game. What's up with Spector? Is he still hurt? I'd say his stock has fallen farther than anyone else/

Posted by: fischy | January 26, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

NotInThe18.com would be great web site for Americans Abroad tracking.

Posted by: Reignking | January 26, 2009 10:35 AM

Ha! Good call

Posted by: Kev29 | January 26, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Where sis all the global goodwill go after the inauguration? I think we should give them one more week to start Americans. If not, we'll start bombing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Kosh is right about Jozy; his playing time came mostly in La Liga, as VCF was bounced early in the cup. However, that PT came because of injuries. Although Nihat is injured right now, VCF is deep enough at forward (and the CL hasn't restarted) not to need him.

Remember, he is young. This is the type of playing time I expected for him when he got there. Nothing to worry about.

Posted by: Reignking | January 26, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2009 12:12 PM

-------------------------------------------
Tut, tut, I-270, it's a new day in America. No more bombings, instead we'll either send George I think we should give them one more week to start Americans. If not, we'll start bombing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2009 12:12 PM

-------------------------------------------

Tut, tut, I-270, it's a new day in America (or some cliche like that). Instead, if they don't do what we want, we'll either send George Mitchell to use English tabloid standards to see if they were doing steroids, or we'll send them Bernie Madoff as a financial advisor....

Posted by: throwin | January 26, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Reignking -- great site!

Posted by: pimpdaddy2000 | January 26, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2009 12:12 PM

Then we should send over the Washington Wizards...

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 26, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The situation at Rangers for Edu and especially Beasley does our WC 10 prospects no good whatsoever. I wonder if Beasley's performance has been effected by his ACL tear last year. Even a loan spell for either of both would be an improvement. Financially I suppose its working out for them but I can't imagine that either is too terribly happy. With Beasley not playing, I wonder if Bradley will feature him against Mexico. I seriously doubt it.

Posted by: sbg1 | January 26, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

HA! Googled my suggested web site name...and only came up with this thread.

Posted by: Reignking | January 26, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2009 12:12 PM

Then we should send over the Washington Wizards...

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 26, 2009 1:20 PM

Why not a package deal, throw in the stinking Nationals and maybe Carlos Rogers?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 26, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sbg1 | January 26, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Freddy, Jozy and Mo are all in their first seasons across the pond after playing in MLS. I think it's to be expected that they would struggle to find playing time. If we're still having the same discussion in 2 years, then it's a problem.

EJ is the only one who concerns me out of that list. I guess his stock continues to plummet. He'd fit right in on wall st.

As long as we're on the subject of americans abroad, I read a little while ago that Feilhaber was returning from a knee injury. Playing with a Danish club I think. Any idea if he's back to training every day? Has he got any first team minutes since his return?

Posted by: Matte | January 26, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

This is Freddy's 2nd season in Europe.

Posted by: Reignking | January 26, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I like Feilhaber and DMB- hope they can get some minutes sooner rather than later

Posted by: carmines757 | January 26, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Pitiful.

Posted by: Brian76 | January 26, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

NotInThe18.com would be great web site for Americans Abroad tracking.

Posted by: Reignking | January 26, 2009 10:35 AM
-----------------

Yes, but we'd get more traffic with didnotdress.com.

Posted by: JonE2 | January 26, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

It's worth mentioning Jemal Johnson. Once again, the MK Don (League One) striker steps up and plays a role on a key goal, setting up the equalizer in his club's 1-1 draw with Colchester. MK Dons remain well-positioned for promotion to the Championship, currently sitting second in the table of England's third-tier of professional football.

Posted by: bartapest1 | January 26, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse