Boswell Returns to Dynamo

Remember back in 2007 when Bobby Boswell, the reigning MLS defender of the year, turned down D.C. United's contract offers in order to become a free agent and test the European waters when his deal expired at the end of '08? And remember when United dealt Boswell to Houston last winter, in part because the club figured he would leave MLS after one more season anyway?

Well, Boswell did make an attempt to go overseas, but after training with a Turkish club this offseason, he settled on a four-year contract with the Dynamo today. By declining previous offers, his contract was stuck on the senior roster minimum the past two-plus years ($33,000). Terms of the new deal were not disclosed, but he surely received a significant increase.

By Steve Goff  |  January 26, 2009; 2:43 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Notes
Next: Gallardo, Gomez, DCU

Comments

That explains the Ianni trade earlier.

Any chance they'd give us a do-over on the trade that sent Boswell down there for Wells?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 26, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm really anxious to know the terms of the Boswell deal.

Posted by: sitruc | January 26, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Who thinks that maybe Houston got the better part of that trade? No disrespect to Wells. And I'm not asking the question because Boswell showed his *** celebrating after scoring his goal against us last year (I can forgive that one).

Or is it that Wells is just in the wrong place and that he could blow up someplace else?

What say ye, the jury???

Posted by: yankiboy | January 26, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

It looks that Gallardo is leaving too. See "http://www.eldia.com.ar/edis/20090126/20090126135846.htm". That would be a blessing in disguise.

Posted by: fedster | January 26, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the article, but obviously he can't just leave....some kind of transfer agreement would have to be worked out. I guess that team in Turkey didn't want a too slow defender that cares more about his blogging than his performance on the field. Go figure.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | January 26, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

While Wells wasn't the most loved player on the roster, I don't have enough information to say yankiboy. I'm not sold on Wells, but Boswell very well could have been in the wrong place at the time. Last season Houston came out ahead, but I'm not sure how to look at the current Houston/Boswell situation without knowing how much he is getting paid. He overvalued himself and saw his way out of DC so it will be interesting to find what his salary is now. Since neither team had the greatest results last season, it all comes down to the almighty dollar.

Posted by: sitruc | January 26, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Article says Estudiantes is in discussions with Gallardo. Steve - do you have anything more on that?

Posted by: MNKicker | January 26, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Which club in Turkey?

Posted by: LAStory | January 26, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Blogispor

Posted by: Reignking | January 26, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

In Bobby's defense he chilled out on the blogging and seemed to be staying pretty focused last time I checked. Honestly to be stuck at that minimum salary for so long after being the *defender of the year* would be a pretty big bummer don't ya think?
@LAStory-Antalyaspor A.S.
Good for Boswell, hope his website makes a comeback.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 26, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

it's a straight swap, gallardo for veron. or at least that's how it played out when i was messing around with the football manager '09 database editor a few weeks ago.....

Posted by: stairs | January 26, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Boswell is a good central defender whose lack of speed is an obvious weakness. He got a lot of crap around here for his blogging and for agreeing to dress up like a big pussy cat at a fundraiser. Some folks cringe at that kind of publicity but others think DC United and MLS need all the press they can get.

Antalya looked like an interesting place with a lot of old history and culture and mostly nice weather in a Mediterranean resort city.

I read somewhere today that they couldn't sign Boswell as they only have 3 foreign player slots and didn't want / couldn't get rid of anyone. Whether or not that's true I wish Boswell success when he's not playing against DC.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 26, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

That catching on in Europe is a bit more difficult than people realize.

Posted by: euroman | January 26, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

yankiboy:

Boswell was in the wrong place. In terms of being able to get the most out of defenders, I don't think there's an MLS coach that can even touch Kinnear.

Wells, however, doesn't look like a guy that's in the wrong place. I don't think he would have been better anywhere else. His form in NY, which made NY go look for a new starter, was basically repeated here (we were warned by our frienemy MJ). He makes too many mistakes, and what's worse is that they come when there's no danger. He doesn't instill confidence in his defenders, and he doesn't seem to communicate well. I don't see him ever being better than an MLS backup.

SDM:

I have to disagree with your opinion of Boswell. He was Houston's best defender this past season, in spite of his speed. I've never bought the idea that he was too focused on off-field issues. He took a long time to adjust to a professional back four, and like I said above, if anyone's going to take a defender and move him to the next level, it's Kinnear. I also think he took too much of the blame here in DC, though I'm certainly not saying his 2007 form was adequate.

Let me approach it from another angle. Based on their play last year and their overall quality, these are the MLS center backs I'd take before Boswell:

Chad Marshall
Bakary Soumare
Jimmy Conrad
Jamison Olave
Wilman Conde
Cory Gibbs

And out of that short list, you've got Conde possibly/probably not returning, Soumare leaving after no more than a year thanks to his French passport, and Gibbs as a constant injury worry. I might be cheating Nat Borchers here, but at this point I'd prefer Boswell by a hair.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 26, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Crayton's mother passed:

My thoughts with him and hopes he makes his peace.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 26, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Our thoughts are with Crayon.

Posted by: Curious99 | January 26, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers are with the Crayton family and friends of the family.

Posted by: sitruc | January 26, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Our thoughts are with Crayon.
I know it's not appropriate, but I revisited this thread and laughed at that.

Posted by: sitruc | January 27, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse