Chavez, Martinez and USA-MEX

The Los Angeles Galaxy continues to express interest in Honduran defender Osman Chavez and the "chances of a deal are good. We'll see what happens in the next week or so," a source told the Insider today. Chavez, 24, is with Platense and would come to MLS on a one-year loan.

Meantime, Honduran forward Walter Martinez, who has scored six goals for the national team and most recently was with a Chinese club, remains a D.C. United target. He is 26 and under contract with Marathon. Like Chavez, an agreement could be reached as early as next week, though several obstacles remain.

Both players are expected to appear in Sunday's friendly between Honduras and Chile in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Meantime, ESPN announced that the USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier Feb. 11 in Columbus will be shown on ESPN2 and available in high definition starting at 7 p.m. ET. Univision will provide Spanish-language coverage. Considering ESPN's massive college basketball obligations this time of year, credit to the network for finding space on one of its mainstream outlets and not sending it to ESPN Classic.

By Steve Goff  |  January 12, 2009; 3:33 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: FIFA Winners Are.....
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

This martinez guy is intriguing...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 12, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The heck with Univision...such biased retards, everything for "nuestra seleccion" I dislike how they imposed that on all of the latino community. Granted they are operated by the mexican media giants but still I dislike it. I know many can agree and many can disagree!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 12, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Lets start bringin good forwards and we can upgrade our starting line. Cause the one we have, its still on 1.0

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 12, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Hi DeF for the win!

Posted by: JkR- | January 12, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update Steve. Papa like.

Great to know that I'll be able to watch the game at home if I need to. Extra especially excited to railroad my buddy with the GIGANTIC HD tv into watching at his place though...:-)
Hats off to ESPN for buying a clue.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 12, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad that both ESPN and Univision are televising the game. I'll be going to Columbus but I'm sure I'm going to watch it again after I get back.

There's plenty of homerism on all the soccer coverage I watch whether it's pro-US, pro-Latino or pro-EPL.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 12, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"Considering ESPN's massive college basketball obligations this time of year, credit to the network for finding space on one of its mainstream outlets and not sending it to ESPN Classic."

Hmmm, it's my alma mater that looks to be getting the shaft on that time slot (Xavier). Have a game with Dayton scheduled that night at 7 on ESPN2. Oh well, it will probably move to the U... and country comes first! :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | January 12, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

One of the few upsides of my cable plan is the ridiculous number of ESPNs.

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
ESPN-News
ESPN-Classic

Posted by: Colm1 | January 12, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

You don't get the Ocho?

Posted by: Reignking | January 12, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

The Ocho is my Favorite!!

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 12, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Ocho, Now that is funny. I have totally lost track of dodgball.

Posted by: nyjer1 | January 12, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm a bit surprised that we're apparently no longer in the running for Chavez. Did DC ever make the alleged contract offer? Did LA just outbid us? When Peralta left, I figured the interest in Chavez was going to lead to, at minimum, a contract offer acknowledged by DC officials. I wonder who the new target for our brain trust is as far as defenders go, or if they think they can make the Janicki-McTavish pairing work (in which case I will be doing a lot more drinking this year).

It's good to see the Martinez situation progressing. I would imagine he'd be Moreno's backup, but he can allegedly play an attacking midfield role as well, which is a spot we have very little depth at. If he can actually play both roles, he'll get plenty of time even with Moreno and Gallardo in good health (they'll obviously need to rest).

Are those Honduras friendlies on TV, by any chance?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 12, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

if anyone is looking for a deal on a flight to Columbus, Southwest is selling BWI to Columbus for $45 each way until 9pm tonight: http://www.southwest.com/cgi-bin/systray?action=getHeadlineDetail&headlineId=4071081&src=sta_offer_4071081&disc=0:3:1231805401.971854:5882@50103ECEA99F890A66EF77AD41D1B19894CD3649

Posted by: la2stl | January 12, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

69 days to the first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 12, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Univision may be operated by mexican media outlets, but it is owned by a couple of PE firms in new York. As long as they show the us matches that don't involve the Tri, it's all good.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 12, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

And on a totally different topic, Dempsey was voted Fulham's player of the month for December. Go Clint.

Posted by: glfrazier | January 12, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@joshuaostevens: Thats the problem Univision barely shows any matches that doesn't involve the FMF.

@Chest_Rockwell:
Telemundo might show the game but in replay, they tend to show more soccer than Univision.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 12, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

so watch it on the Deuce, it's basic cable at least, in a lot of places this big of a match would be a on pay-per-view. and yes, I am certain that you can get your local watering hole to put it on at least one TV, they can't all be on the Tobacco Road Derby.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 13, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 12, 2009 4:18 PM
-------------------------------------------
What up kid?

I feel you on this one:

The Univision commentary crew gets on my freaking nerves. So does the Telemundo set (but less, for some reason). For those of you who think that just because they Latin and know so much about the game that their comments are so much more insightful or "better" than Amercian commentators--don't kid yourselves. Just becaue you got the breath to call "gol" for 40 seconds doesn't mean that your commentary game is elevated. besides, the jokes that they make are corny. Really corny. The analysis is nowhere near as insightful as some none Spanish speakers imagine it to be. They have a different style. They bring a different sort of flava. The Spanish language broadcasts are a wonderful option when the Mickey Mouse crew is working my last nerve. Then there is always the good ole mute button...

Posted by: yankiboy | January 13, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Still waiting for news on the signing of a new defender and still no re-signing of Namoff. With one of the worst defenses in the league last season, you'd think that they would be working on this situation. I'm not excited about their apparent priorities.

Posted by: futboler | January 13, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Rest assured, they are working on it. They're just not talking about it publicly.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 13, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I was fully expecting the match to be on ESPN Classic and maybe shown later in HD on ESPN2 because of the basketball games. That's a big night for college basketball. Good stuff.

Posted by: sitruc | January 14, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse