Cuban to Seattle

The Insider told you six weeks ago that Seattle was pursuing Cuban defector Osvaldo Alonso, the USL1 rookie of the year at Charleston last season, and today the Sounders made it official by acquiring his rights from the Battery and signing him to a multiyear contract. Alonso is a 23-year-old central midfielder who made 17 national team appearances before defecting in June 2007. Cuban forward Reinier Alcantara, who sought asylum last fall, is on trial with Chivas USA.

By Steve Goff  |  January 27, 2009; 2:06 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Martinez's Goal
Next: Martinez to Spain?

Comments

Alonso looked good against DC. Unlike most of the news, I'd say this is a fairly significant signing, really bolstering Seattle's squad.

Posted by: fischy | January 27, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why they want such a young hungry dude when there are so many 33 and 34 year old middies available who've nothing left to prove.

Posted by: OWNTF | January 27, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Wild, Wild, West! Bye, Bye, Khano Smith?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

How's this: DC sends Gallardo to Estudiantes. They send Veron to AC Milan. They send Kaka to Man City. They send Robinho to Zenit St. Pete. They send us Arshavin. It's crazy, but it just might work.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 27, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Ha! At first read I thought this thread was about Mark Cuban taking ownership of the seattle franchise. That would have been interesting....

Posted by: hacksaw | January 27, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I-270Exit1:

You forgot Buffon, Drogba, the partridge AND the pear tree.

Posted by: Colm1 | January 27, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

A little interview with Benny via Behind The Badge:
He says a lot of what we've already heard, but he's got a soccer chick talking to him about it sooooo;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

That makes no sense - you would think the dude named Rainier would play for Seattle.

It's a local landmark/geological reference, I'll wait.........

Posted by: dcufan | January 27, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

DCU's gonna get Arshavin???

Posted by: fischy | January 27, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan -- poop or get off the pot. Design your own 3rd jersey. BTQ, did DCU ever abandon the cool blue one with the red-white rings on the sleeves?

Posted by: fischy | January 27, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

fischy: when you write "DadRyan" and "pot" in the same post, are you talking about... Never mind, I don't want to know.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 27, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

I believe you're referring to the Cat-In-The-Hat jerseys, which I believe didn't last past 1999 or 2000.

***

Great signing by Seattle. Alonso did not look at all out of place against MLS teams, and should become a starter in Seattle if he continues with the form he showed last year the couple of times I saw him. He's much better than Vagenas, who is the only real defensive midfielder on Seattle's current roster.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 27, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The Dallas Mavericks are going to Seattle?

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 27, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

fischy don't you think I already would have posted one if I knew how to do such things? I don't have much in the way of art supplies beyond this big box of crayons...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

IS he attacking or holding mid?

Posted by: goaltalk | January 27, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

It's a local landmark/geological reference, I'll wait.........

Posted by: dcufan | January 27, 2009 4:04 PM
Don't forget that it is also a beer!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

White jerseys just always look nice.

I think a DCU red and black stripe would be nice for a 3rd kit. Or maybe I'm just wrong. Then again, Milan pulls it off.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 27, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse