D.C. United News and Notes

*Marcelo Gallardo's official departure? Any moment now.
*Christian Gomez's arrival? We'll see.
*The Insider has learned that United is in the final stages of signing midfielder Andrew Jacobson, the 2008 draft pick from Cal who spurned MLS's offers to join French club Lorient last year. He will join the team Friday for training at RFK Stadium.
*Brazilian defender Roger has arrived in Washington and will begin workouts Friday. From all indications, United plans to finalize his contract and present him with a jersey next week. (He and Fred have the same agent.)
*The weather forced United indoors today for fitness testing at George Mason University's field house.
*Speaking of Fred, I had the opportunity to meet with him at his Falls Church apartment today. While we watched Flamengo defeat Bangu, 2-1, live on Dish Network's Brazilian channel, he talked extensively about the sudden death of his father last month at age 54, the strong bond with his mother and three brothers, and his deep faith in God. The emotional story will appear sometime next week.

On a much lighter note, Fred said this week marked the first time in his life he has seen an accumulation of snow/ice. When he left his apartment Tuesday morning to clean off his car, he realized he did not have a brush or scraper. So he used one of his shoes.

By Steve Goff  |  January 29, 2009; 7:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Training Camp Roster
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

"*Christian Gomez's arrival? We'll see."

What kind of update is that?

Posted by: decoi | January 29, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Relax.

If and when there is news concerning Gomez, I'll share it. Promise.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 29, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Goff...

1. Just amazing work on the Gallardo story. It all started with I believe you talking about Appiah and a short reference to Gallardo having discussions in Argentina. Then your big "no-one's talking or returning calls--me thinks something may be up" which was spot-on. You've really done an amazing job on this story.

2. I thought that getting healthy, planning the year better, some time to build chemistry, and fewer games would make a big difference with DCU this year. Thus, I was not alarmed that we didn't make 8-10 changes on the roster (other than releasing the bottom third of our roster). But now in the space of maybe 48 hours, we could see...
--the departure of Gallardo
--formal signing of Roger
--intention to acquire Gomez
Man, that's some major change and all of it very quickly.

3. I loved Gomez when he was here and wished him well when he left. I admire him greatly. I'm not so sure his return is a perfect fit (we really need to play a 3-5-2 with someone like a healthy Olsen or Shalrie Joseph as a midfield vaccum cleaner). But if Gomez returns, I hope we can find the way to build the chemistry and scheme to make it work.

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 29, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Senor Goff: a week or two ago, you indcated that because Benny's contract was a guaranteed contract, DC wouldn't recover his salary cap hit even if he retired at this this point. Can you clarify this? In particular, can you clarify what this means re: the stuff going on with Gallardo? His contract was guaranteed too. Does DC somehow not recover his salary cap hit?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 29, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

"

Relax.

If and when there is news concerning Gomez, I'll share it. Promise.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 29, 2009 7:58 PM "

I believe you will share and I am ungrateful for all your great work over the years, but this entire situation of losing key players just before training camp and no real announcement from the FO on the incoming leaves many of us (this is me now speaking for everyone-is that okay?) concerned that the FO does not have a strong plan for the season.

Posted by: decoi | January 29, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I don't totally get MLS rules, but why sign Jacobson and Roger to contracts before they've even participated in one practice? United still owns the rights to Jacobson, and conceivably they have laid a "discovery" claim on Roger. So there's no risk of losing either of them to another MLS team. So why not give them a trial and watch them train with the team for a week before formally offering a contract? Isn't that what the European clubs do? Maybe there's a rule that prohibits the team from doing this, but it just seems like this would be a great way to avoid repeating last year's disasters of Niell and Carvallo.

Posted by: DCUMD | January 29, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

52 days to United's first game!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 29, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Christopher, I'm sure once Goff finds the answer he will let us know. CHILL OUT!

I'm glad to see some progress is being made with new signings. I cannot wait to hear the official word that Gallardo is gone!

Posted by: dculuva | January 29, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I am chill. I just wanted to make sure he sees my question. I don't expect Senor Goff reads all the comment/responses to his posts; he's not that crazy.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 29, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

check yourself decoi. I don't know who you think you are speaking for everyone round these parts. Too many differing opinions to even imply such a thing.

Steve, looking forward to your story on Fred. I actually think I could get excited about the team without Gallardo. I think this year could be a really big year for guys like Tino, Fred, and maybe even Doe.
There are a lot of guys with a lot of potential in a number of positions in the team that could really shine this year I think.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 29, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Olsen's contract remains on DCU's books because he has a guaranteed contract and the league is paying him whether he plays or not. Gallardo's contract is guaranteed as well, but because another team would be paying him (River Plate), he would no longer be on MLS's books.

Roger would not come here on trial. With his experience level, you either make a contract offer or you don't. Jacobson is a very young, inexperienced player. He's not going to earn much. DCU will sign him and then see how he progresses over the year.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 29, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

what are the odds that we are able to sign roger and a. jacobson without getting rid of gallardo? I think that Dc might have a plan to get gomez at a reduced price and also be able to sign jacobson and Roger, all for the same hit in the salary cap as gallardo big contract.

Please tell me again why this is a bad move??

Posted by: Norteno4life | January 29, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

and Chris, Goff's actually pretty good about answering when you CAPITALIZE OR PUNCTUATE !!!!!!!! HIS NAME AND ASK A PARTICULAR QUESTION....
or you could always email him...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 29, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Roger replaces Peralta or Martinez, Jacobson replaces Dyachenko, I suppose.

Neither has anything to do with Gallardo.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 29, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Marcelo, we hardly knew ye.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | January 29, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Appiah, I'm guessing the possible interview you were lining up before the holidays is a dead item?

Posted by: Section117 | January 29, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

If Jacobson replaces Dyachenko, I hope Jacobson can actually stay on his feet!

Posted by: dculuva | January 29, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

OFF Topic:
What and where is the best MLS fantasy soccer game?
Played a couple underwhelmers last year, what are the best ones?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 29, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Appiah interview still possible, but at this point, not a high priority (for either of us).

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 29, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

i heart fred! he is also my neighbor!

Posted by: jdickinson187 | January 29, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Come on people.

No one replaces Dyachenko!!

I hope all the altruistic pure-hearted folks that frequent this blog will join in me solemn player for Marcelo Gallardo's health.

At least til River Plate's medical staff is done with their physical evaluation.

Vaya con Dios!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 29, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff, might you be to blame for Gallardo's unhappiness? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the DCU front office was pretty upset when you revealed that they were in talks with Appiah (who would have made Gallardo dispensable). May we blame another unsuccessful season on you? Just kidding (but not really).

Posted by: notafembot | January 29, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Goff!!!! Thanks!! SEriously -- your reporting on all of htis has been terrific. You gave us the original heads-up that Gallardo was talking to River. You also dropped teh appropriate hints about Jacobson's return, and the interest in Roger. We'll have to see if your instincts about Gomito pan out, too -- but I have every confidence in your magic-8 ball.

I also really like what DCU is doing here. I realize Jacobson's coming back from a horrific injury, but your reporting on him over the last year has me convinced he's a good one. Hopefully, he'll return to the fine form he was showing in France before the injury. As I've written before, I suspect the tribe will quickly take him into our hearts.

Roger should give more veteran leadership than last year's South American imports, and I suspect he's still got more skills than either Gonzalo. OK -- at 34, neither Roger nor Gomez will be part of DCU's long-range plans, but they could play big roles for the team in MLS and CCL play this year.

With Roger and Gomez joining the squad, and Jacobson joining a strong crop of draftees, I feel much more excited and confident about DCU's prospects than I did going into last season. We've got veterans who'll be giving it their all - veterans who have produced together. I think we'll have a stronger back line than we had last year. We should be stronger in goal. And, we will have really talented young players giving us depth at every position -- players who should develop during the year and give us a strong core going forward.

Finally, it's not out of the question that DCU could bring in a DP at mid-season to really up the ante. Veron might be looking then. If not, there's always next season....

Posted by: fischy | January 29, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

If Appiah interview is not toward the top of either of yours or his list...I assume DCU has no shot at signing him? Still no word on a contract offer from Tottenham so I assume he's still a free agent.

I would LOVE to have a guy like him in our side.

Posted by: voetbol07 | January 29, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

The thought of Fred using a shoe to clear the snow from his car makes me laugh.

Posted by: zosodave | January 29, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I am compelled to make a quick note prior to reading the comments. I support the players of the team, despite their troubles, mistakes and injuries. However, when they are the "marquee" player and pull this after a TERRIBLE SEASON between their actual PLAY and unforeseen INJURIES, well, please let him go. Good riddance to this piece of rubbish. He's no Ben Olsen.

How long ago PSG must be in his mind.

Can we get a refund, or bailout in the parlance of our times? haha.

Posted by: ch3k | January 29, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

""concerned that the FO does not have a strong plan for the season.
Posted by: decoi | January 29, 2009 8:17 PM ""

Decoi,

Some of our best signings have been announced in February. If I recall, Fred and Emilio joined the team really late . . . one of whom missed our first game or two in CONCACAF the season he joined.

No worries, it's international football and we (MLS and its fans) are bottom feeders.

Posted by: delantero | January 29, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo never felt comfortable here and had turned his attention back to Argentina long before the Appiah story broke.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 29, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Delantero,

Good point.

Posted by: decoi | January 29, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Fred was a great addition to the team, on the field and off. I hope the FO can find more like him.

Posted by: peter_nd | January 29, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

The roster's really coming together. Good thing we're getting our draft pick EVENTUALLY.
Curious99 has been made redundant by the ticker on DC's site! jk ;)

I thought Fred first saw snow in '07, the first game at Colorado?

Posted by: StewartDC8 | January 29, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

"accumulation" of snow

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 29, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

You waiting for some more news to break Goff? You're on this thread like a hawk!

I don't need to stinking ticker! Keep up the good work Curious!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 29, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Goff knows it's only a matter of time before the FO makes a formal announcement. Reports in Argentina have him already signed with River Plate.

Posted by: redskinsux | January 29, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I suppose they have to take down Gallardo's picture down from the home website and whatnot. I just checked the site, and there he is, number 10, looking like he means business. (with another club, ha)

Posted by: redskinsux | January 29, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Goff you da man

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 29, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Where in the midfield does Jacobson play? His wikipedia page seems to have disappeared and I don't remember from last year. Thanks.

Posted by: timc3 | January 29, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

And, oh, right next to his picture, it says, "Now and Forever". lol

Posted by: redskinsux | January 29, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Jacobsen is a Central defensive midfielder, a la Simms and Vide from what I remember..

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 29, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I hear what you say about Roger being a vet who doesn't "try out," so he gets signed to a contract before he takes the field, but given his age and his back injury don't you think the front office would have wanted to see him in action just a teensy bit before encumbering a roster slot?

Posted by: b18bolo | January 29, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

What a disappointing off season. At least we'll be more fiscally sound (although there's still Emilio's excessive contract and the potential issue of Gomez). Im concerned that we dont seem to have a plan for the future and lack good young players.

it's just been a bad year or two for DCU.

at least expectations will be low this year.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | January 29, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Soooo......do we have no shot at Appiah???

Posted by: voetbol07 | January 29, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Goff, Why is DCU not making any noise about bringing Convey back home?

Posted by: srose13 | January 29, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree, why don't we trade up the allocation order a la Houston Dynamo to get Convey back...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 29, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand Convey. I thought he was overrated 8 years ago, and even after watching his goals at Reading last season, I still don't think I'll come to like him.

Posted by: redskinsux | January 30, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Soooo......do we have no shot at Appiah???

Posted by: voetbol07 | January 29, 2009 10:51 PM

************************

He'll team up with Veron in central midfield so they can break up the opposing attack and then feed all those assists to Gascoigne and Shevchenko.

We should be able to dedicate some of the remaining savings from Rod Dyachenko to make it all happen....

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 30, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

voetbal07:

Appiah's gone. Let the idea go. I know, it plays pretty well as a daydream, but it's not happening.

Convey fans:

I'd rather have Guerrero. We know his knee isn't more than a strong breeze from collapsing, and personally I've never gotten over his post-work-permit-rejection sulking (I understand being frustrated by that kind of lost opportunity, but that's no excuse to treat playing for DCU like it's as interesting as getting a root canal). For the money Convey would be looking for, it would be a total folly for United.

***

I'm not sure what to make of these moves; then again, I wasn't sure of DC's prospects either way a week ago. So much rides on Roger being a success in terms of leading the back line. If he's overcome the back problems that plagued him, and can overcome the language barrier, this could be a great move. If not, we're in for another frustrating season.

Jacobson is intriguing, as he's supposed to be a more technical defensive midfielder than Vide (who brings a lot of intensity and physicality, but is forced to play an extremely simple game because of his relative lack of skill on the ball). He also brings some sorely-needed size.

This move makes me wonder if Soehn's considering a Columbus-esque approach in terms of formation. Moreno already plays a pretty free role in our attack, like Schelotto has with the Crew. Similarly, Emilio's job is to simply make things hard on defenders, earn free kicks, and finish in the box (he's a much better finisher than A. Moreno, but less adept at getting fouls in dangerous spots). For our front line, there isn't too much of a difference in terms of duties on the field.

If Jacobson's technical ability is high enough, he could function as the equivalent to Brad Evans, nominally a defensive midfielder but joining the attack late on a regular basis. If Olsen can actually play, he'd be fantastic in that role, but if not it'd be Jacobson or perhaps Simms (with Vide being the full-time holding midfielder). Fred, Quaranta, and Guerrero would battle for the 2 wide spots.

Until Gomez is signed (which remains a big if; I'd be surprised if we took him off Colorado's books without them eating at least 35-40% of his salary, something that they may be reluctant to do), I think this would be our most reasonable approach with the current roster.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 30, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff, thanks for taking this beat so seriously. Personally I am hoping that DC does not sign a DP any time soon. Lets see what this group is capable of including coaching staff. In regards to Jacobson, I was under the impression that he is a wide midfielder.
Assuming all are healthy, I would be ok with:
----------------------Crayton

Namoff,Janicki/Mctavish,--Roger,-----Burch

-------------------- Simms/Vide

--Fred/BEN,---------Moreno, ----------Ivan

---------------------Tino, Emillio

Posted by: Dipssince78 | January 30, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 30, 2009 12:06 AM

Hey, maybe Gascoigne could coach. It's working out for Maradona, no?

Don't evah give up on Sheva....

Posted by: fischy | January 30, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Bobby Convey is the most overrated player in United history. He couldn't even put the ball in an empty goal when given the opportunity and his antics (from doing jumping jacks "pass it to me" to his sulking when he wasn't transferred) proved he wasn't a team player or worthy of the praise.

Getting him would be a true waste of $$$.

Posted by: mcontento | January 30, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

If Olsen can play, I see Guerrero getting some time at left back, while Wallace learns. Otherwise, it's 'tween Burch and McTavish hack -- I mean back there...until Wallace steps up. I think Janicki has the inside track to join Roger at CB. And Guerrero would split with Tino on the wing. Simms is the DM, and Gomito the AM (this deal will happen, but Colorado will have to eat some money, or do some creative accounting). Fred on the other side, while Jacobson learns the DCU way.

Up front, it's Emilio, Moreno and Doe (And sometimes Tino) battling for playing time, until Pontius is ready.

Posted by: fischy | January 30, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Ive noticed online...(Off topic)
MLS will be sporting some weird looking rugby shirts as jerseys...

check out the RBNY as an example..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 30, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 29, 2009 9:37 PM
_____________________________________________

Steve is this your opinion? Or someone let you in on his personal feelings on living in this area? There has been speculation, but whatever comes from you i take pretty much as truth.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 30, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse

By Steve Goff | January 29, 2009; 7:41 PM ET
-------------------------------------------

But did he take the shoe off first? Enquiring minds want to know! ;-)

Posted by: throwin | January 30, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

"But did he take the shoe off first? Enquiring minds want to know! ;-) "

No. He came out in his scooby-doo flip flops and used his $300 pair of adidas cleats to wipe off his car.

Posted by: redskinsux | January 30, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

Even the most expensive adidas are less than 200... as far as I recall, Fred didn't wear Preds or The F50s, so chances are his cleats are only like 120 or so.

I've worn both the top Preds and F50s, and both are a waste of money considering the F30s have had better touch than either since the F50s went to the "Tunit" standard.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 30, 2009 2:30 AM | Report abuse

1) I do not want Appiah. There's a reason that every single club he has trialed for/been linked with has passed. His knee is JACKED.

2) Where do we keep finding roster spots for these guys? How long until we start cutting the McTavishs/Burch's to make room for them? We have to be pretty close at this point.

Great work Goff!

Posted by: strago | January 30, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

The roster spots are there... its the mediate's and the Zaher's and the Barkledge's that are in jeopardy now... not to mention James Thorpe...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 30, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

"I do not want Appiah. There's a reason that every single club he has trialed for/been linked with has passed. His knee is JACKED."

Yes, we shouldn't sign folks who are coming off injury and might be past their prime.

Posted by: Section117 | January 30, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I am starting to see a picture forming of what the FO and coaching staff are trying to put together.
I still have some reservations about rodger, back, age, etc...but if he is healthy the experience he brings is what we need now. Jacobsen is very interesting. Hopefully he is fully recovered. He is young so I am optomistic that he has. The time he spent in France can only improve what we liked about him when we drafted him. Hopefully Gomez will be back and we can build around him for a year or two while the young guys develope. Keep in mind that if the FO and coaches can right the ship for this year or so, it gives them time to find the next big thing. Either a big signing from abroad, or blockbuster trade inside MLS. Just something to think about.
For the first time this off-season I got a little excited when I read this post.

Posted by: jjfooty | January 30, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Here's another vote of thanks and congratulations to Mr. Goff for breaking the Gallardo story - I echo the very first post in this thread. Now, on to bigger things:

If Roger is signed by DCU, will the front office be wise enough to avoid the name-on-the-jersey controversy that they suffered when Fred was signed??

Posted by: BaltoFan | January 30, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning - It's 8:30 here on the east coast in the Commonwealth of Virginia - where's your Designated Player today?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 30, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

RE: Appiah

A few days ago Redknapp said they would let him know that day whether Spurs were going to sign him or not, "because he needs to know."

I haven't heard anything since, which would lead me to assume they did not sign him and he is no longer trialing.

Posted by: BKMD | January 30, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"The weather forced United indoors today for fitness testing at George Mason University's field house."

I wonder what Obama had to say about that. On the other hand, Fred displayed some flinty Brazilian toughness to clear off his car.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 30, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

So basically at this point our roster looks like:

Burch, Fred (I), Crayton, Doe, Emilio (I, DP), Gallardo (I, DP), Guerrero (I), Janicki, Khumalo (I), McTavish, Moreno, Namoff, Olsen, Quaranta, Simms, Vide, Wells, Pontius, Wallace (GA), Roger (I)

(19 Senior players, 6 internationals)
(1 Development player)

So we have 1 leftover senior roster spot and 3 development spots?

The developmental spots will most likely go to these 3: Adams, Barklage, Carroll, Cordeiro, Kirk, Kocic, Koroma, Mediate, Miller, Thompson, Thorpe, and Zaher.

I again question how we are going to improve much more than we currently have. We will feasibly have 2 spots if Gallardo leaves and 800k (minus Roger's salary)? worth of money to throw around.

Am I missing something?

Posted by: strago | January 30, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Will the defensive third become known as "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood?"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 30, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Addendum! I totally forgot to throw Jacobson in there on my roster. If we sign him to a senior roster spot, then we have none leftover.

Posted by: strago | January 30, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Am I missing something?

Posted by: strago |

The new roster rules?

Posted by: Reignking | January 30, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I think Carroll, Cordeiro and Kirk were on trials elsewhere.

Posted by: Section117 | January 30, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsux | January 30, 2009 2:01 AM

Fred's a Nike man...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 30, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the updates Steve. In what has been a rather uneventful off-season (compared to last year), you've managed to keep us rather entertained and informed. It's much appreciated.

Posted by: TCompton | January 30, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Sitruc:

Cross Koroma off the list he's gone back to his club in Africa

Posted by: Josh8 | January 30, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Carroll, Cordeiro, Kirk, Koroma and Thompson are gone. Adams is on trial in Europe. Barklage and Miller are longshots. Mediate is not eligible for developmental. Kocic is unlikely to sign a developmental contract (senior or nothing).

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 30, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Am I missing something?

Posted by: strago | January 30, 2009 9:13 AM

---------------------

Yes, as others have pointed out - Carroll, Cordeiro, Kirk, and Koroma are definitely not coming back. Goff mentioned that they were not invited to camp several days ago. Can't remember if Miller or Thompson were in or not.

So, that means one open senior spot (upon Gallardo's departure) and three Dev spots. I'd be surprised if Mediate could qualify as for a Dev slot so his days with DCU are probably numbered.

Last we heard, Adams is trying his luck in Europe right? So he may not be here, but if he is, I'd say he'd get a Dev slot. And I'd think Zaher and Kocic would get the other two. If Adams isn't here, then maybe it'd go to Barklage.

Posted by: combedge | January 30, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Thanks.

Posted by: strago | January 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I remember Convey jumping up and down and waving his arms for the ball. You know why he did it? Because he was unmarked, and Etch preferred to try to dribble through the middle of the defense and would pass only to Moreno, if he passed at all. I had a lot of sympathy for Bobby.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 30, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Will people pronounce HO-jer correctly?

Posted by: uac1530 | January 30, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"Kocic is unlikely to sign a developmental contract (senior or nothing)."

Oooh. Does that mean that Wells could be on the outs?! Hope so.

Posted by: combedge | January 30, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

That tidbit about Fred & his shoe cracked me up. Thanks. :)

Honestly, if they are even considering Gomez, he needs to prove himself first. We can speculate all we want on how his 34-year-old body is going to hold up and how rusty he his, but the reality is that we won't know for sure until he actually steps on the field. It'd be interesting to see him perform in some of the preseason friendlies.

Posted by: Dynaformer | January 30, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Roger, Roger. What's your vector, Victor?

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 30, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Josh8, it's nice to know people think of me around here...

Posted by: sitruc | January 30, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse