D.C. United Notes

United has lined up four tuneups so far:

Feb. 10 vs. Columbus in Bradenton, Fla.
March 7 vs. Real Salt Lake in Charleston, S.C.
March 11 vs. Toronto in Charleston
March 14 vs. the Battery in Charleston

As expected, a new loan agreement between United and a Ghanaian club has been reached to keep reserve forward Francis Doe in Washington for another MLS season.

By Steve Goff  |  January 21, 2009; 4:37 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU, MLS Updates
Next: Thoughts With Williams Family

Comments

DOH!

Posted by: beergorila | January 21, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Do they sell tickets for those pre-season games?

Posted by: hiya | January 21, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say. It doesn't look like DCU is improving much this winter.

Here's to hoping that I'm wrong.

Posted by: bigbadbri | January 21, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

It's all about addition by subtraction.

Posted by: benonthehill | January 21, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

It's all about addition by subtraction.

Posted by: benonthehill | January 21, 2009 5:19 PM

------------------------------------

Please leave Dyachenko out of this...

Posted by: Kenobi | January 21, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I made that too easy.

Posted by: benonthehill | January 21, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

hiya: The March game tickets are on sale through the Charleston Battery - http://charlestonbattery.com/news.asp?y=2009&page=1&id=429
All 6 games of the CCC for $35 (bleacher seats, fancy seats are $50), you won't get a better deal than that.

Thanks for keeping us up to date SG!

Posted by: dcufan | January 21, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Doe is going to be beast this year.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | January 21, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Doe is going to be beast this year.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | January 21, 2009 6:06 PM

True Dat! If he's anything like he plays in FIFA 09 I'll be stoked! Hopefully Grandpa's toes are good to go!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 21, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

The facility in Charleston is very nice and the town is fun to visit too. It's worth going if you can swing it. For those of us who won't be able to do so, do we know whether the games will be broadcast?

Good news on Doe; it's likely that he'll only get better this year.

60 days to United's first game of the season.

Posted by: Curious99 | January 21, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I think Doe is strictly a journeyman. With a strong camp, Pontius should become the #3 forward, unless he is slotted at right midfield.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 21, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Read a report that someone, somewhere thinks that United has contacted Greg Berhalter . . . . hmmm

Not having seen him play recently, I'd have a hard time commenting on his ability. But it's a thought for reinforcing our center line simply based on his experience.

Posted by: delantero | January 21, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Doe is a monster on my Fifa09 too

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 21, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

In FIFA 09, Doe's growth stalls at 68 overall for me, but I love his speed on the counter attack coming off the bench... What's he at for you guys?

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 21, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Why would Berhalter leave a regular gig in Germany? He's one of the few Americans getting regular time -- and with a club that earn promotion to the top German league.

On the other hand, there is this year-old story, wherein he says he'd love to finish his career here.

One would think the Red Bulls would have a better shot at landing him, if he wants to come back, but....he'd look great directing the DCU defense.

Posted by: fischy | January 21, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Another report -- is it OK to link here to other sources? -- says Berhalter has 2 MLS offers, but hasn't made up his mind about Mainz.

Posted by: fischy | January 21, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Oops -- my bad. Munich -- not Mainz. Couldn't pull that one back in time...

Posted by: fischy | January 21, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Doe is going to be beast this year.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | January 21, 2009 6:06 PM

---------------------------
"Be beast"? You mean like The Hulk? 'Cause that might do wonders for MLS TV ratings...

Posted by: edgeonyou | January 21, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Doe is going to be beast this year.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | January 21, 2009 6:06 PM

---------------------------

Posted by: edgeonyou | January 21, 2009 10:29 PM
---------------------------------------

I think it means that Doe is a real-life Transformer, who is a soccer player on the weekends, and the new Presidential limousine ("The Beast") the rest of the time.

Posted by: fischy | January 22, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

ha.ha. i didn't realize there were so many comedians here.
Alright, fine, i'm not as hip as i used to be. What are we saying now these days? He's "sweet"? "off the hook"?
How about I just say I think Doe will be really good this year.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | January 22, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

@fischy: wow, that transformer crack is hilarious.

Posted by: Matte | January 22, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

BurchFan4: I just upgraded to a 360 and a copy of FIFA09 a couple weeks ago, and haven't played enough to top Doe out. Right out of the box he makes Emilio seem like "Grandpa" though, doesn't he?
Maybe it's just his red boots.
Also interesting is my ability to win games when putting more emphasis on the wingers crossing the ball into the box.
I can't win consistently with the ball having to go through Gallardo...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 22, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I play on PS2 and while Doe does move faster than Emilio and Moreno, he is no match for Emilio's finishing... I've only completed one season but Emilio scored 27 goals for me, though Doe did lead the league with a goal every .7 games so he did score often when I played him... Yeah I've had ZERO luck crossing the ball into the box so i use fred and Tino to work the ball up the sidelines and then dribble into the box, I get most of my goals on throw-ins, short corners, set pieces, and breakaways...

The red shoes are amazing lol

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 22, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Steve: WHich Ghanaian club?

Posted by: LAStory | January 24, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Steve: WHich Ghanaian club?

Posted by: LAStory | January 24, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse