D.C. United's Schedule

Click here for the full calendar.

United will also enter the U.S. Open Cup and the CONCACAF Champions League preliminary round this summer.

From the league:

The 15 MLS clubs will face each other twice for a base of 28 games per team. The two remaining games for each team will be against intra-conference opponents, with a priority on rivalry matchups. This year 90 percent of MLS games will be played on weekends (Friday, Saturday or Sunday), compared to about 84 percent in 2008 and 80 percent in 2007. MLS reduced the volume of games near Aug. 12, Sept. 5 and Oct. 10 -- all World Cup qualifying dates.

By Steve Goff  |  January 28, 2009; 12:38 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Beckham Watch
Next: Gallardo, Gomez Update

Comments

I can't click here! Nothing to click!

Posted by: Konoha7 | January 28, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"MLS reduced the volume of games"

Great! First they remove streamers. Now we all have to be quiet.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 28, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

So Chicago and Kansas City are the intra-conference rivals of DC United? They have one extra games each against DC.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | January 28, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

The league still has not come up with full TV schedule after all this long winter..why why why? Where is comcast? Some are sure on DK.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | January 28, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I love the reduced schedule in September and October when DC United will be competing in the Champions League.

Plus, I love all the Saturday games. Even two of the three non-Saturday matches are against conference rivals.

Posted by: TCompton | January 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, TCompton - sure the schedule might shift a bit, but only 3 planned midweek games? Awesome. Friday night match v NE - excellent!

Home opener the same night as El Salvador away... why!? Maybe the qualifier will kickoff after full time? I will kick Doug Garber in the nuts if I can't watch both.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 28, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Look at all of those Saturday games! Woohoo!

Posted by: Reignking | January 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Im surprised that DC and NY don't have three games...

Also, unrelated, do you have any idea how fun it is to set the settings to "amateur" on Fifa 09 and just beat Mexico back to back to back and over and over by around 10 goals a game? Nothing's better. Ahhh, the luxury of being a college student.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 28, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Wait...three games against KC and Chicago? that doesn't make sense. Our rivals are NY and New England. At the very least NY and Chicago, but not KC. Jeez...

Posted by: bigwave | January 28, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty sweet. Only one Friday game (horrible for me) and only three Wed or Thurs. games (not so bad for me).

Only one 3-week road trip mid-season and a 4 week home stand at the end of the season. Otherwise, the schedule is surprisingly even-handed, i.e. home/away/home/away/etc.

Posted by: DrBeaker | January 28, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Are the Saturday games make up for last season?

Posted by: sitruc | January 28, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

This years schedule is a million times better than last years. Now DC wont play like 50 games.

Posted by: TheJim1 | January 28, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

DOn't get too excited y'all. A lot of those mid-week slots that are open right now will get filled up once U.S. Open Cup and the next eddition of CONCACAF Chapms kick off. It is better than last year, concentrating league games where they belong, but it's still going to be a long slog, especially if DCU looks to repeat in the USOC.
And I agree, an extra game against KCW insteas of RBNY????? Who are their extra games against? I could see it if Philly were coming in this year, but really. If one of thier extra games is against LA, we'll all know the gods of TV ratings ruled this decision, putting Sir David into the New York market an extra time.

Posted by: joemybro | January 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Not including the CCL games, here's the potential conflicts with Nationals home games on the same day as a DCU home game, for whomever is interested (particularly if you're a weirdo like me and have season tix to both):

4/4 DCU game against Houston at 7:30, the Nats play Baltimore at 6:05

4/17 DCU game against the Revs at 7pm, the Nats play the Marlins at 7:05

5/2 DCU game against Dallas at 7:30, the Nats play St. Louis at 1:30

5/23 DCU game against RSL at 7:30, the Nats play Baltimore at 7:05

6/4 DCU game against NYRB at 7:30, the Nats play San Francisco at 7:05

7/18 DCU game against Colorado at 8:00, the Nats play the Cubbies at 7:05

8/8 DCU game against KC at 8:00, the Nats play Arizona at 7:05

8/22 DCU game against the Galaxy at 7:30, the Nats play Milwaukee at 7:05

9/27 DCU game against San Jose at 3pm, the Nats play Atlanta at 1:35

Posted by: Juan-John | January 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Anybody got the time to make this into a nice ical file or something I can put into google calendar? I did it a few years ago, but I don't have any time at the moment.

Posted by: Colm1 | January 28, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Colm1: Last year DC United had a downloadable .csv file on their website. I hope they plan to do that soon.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 28, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The only real problem with the Nats overlap is all of the baseball people who block up the entrance to Lot 8 because they didn't know there was something actually happening at RFK.

Posted by: fedssocr | January 28, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty odd that rivalries are supposed to get a priority and we somehow ended up with Chicago and Kansas City. I mean, if you polled United fans, I'm guessing NY would be 1st and NE, LA, and Chicago would make up 2nd through 4th. The Wizards, in my book, would be no higher than 7th and probably lower than that. Strange. Then again, KC doesn't really have a true rivalry, so I guess they have to play someone. It's a minor quibble, either way.

To add on to joemybro, we currently have 33 guaranteed competitive matches (30 in MLS, 2 CCL, 1 USOC qualifier). If we get past the CCL prelims, that number jumps to 39 (6 CCL group matches). Making the playoffs will put us up to a minimum of 41. Every Open Cup win brings another match with it. Last season, we had 47 games (the CCC and Superliga added 7 games that we don't have this year). It's an easier schedule, but it's still going to be demanding.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 28, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

do we have to qualify for the Open Cup? or do we get a bye to the quarters as defending champion, like the MLS qualified teams do?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 28, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Why not just play a 28 game league schedule this year?

I assume the 30 this year is in anticipation of a more or less permanent 30 game schedule (every team home and away) when they get to 16, but why not just play two fewer this year?

Posted by: kingy | January 28, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Chest: By MLS geography, NY is no longer a regional rivalry. They are the 2008 Western Conference Champions.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 28, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

joshuastevens: I actually think that DCU has to *play in* to the CCL with the *berth* they get from winning the USOC... pretty sure about that.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 29, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse