DCU, MLS Updates

*Marcelo Gallardo, D.C. United's Argentine playmaker, has been excused from the start of training camp tomorrow in order to continue his rehabilitation from last season's injuries and tend to personal matters back home. I am still awaiting word on when he is scheduled to arrive. The club will not have an outdoor session until late next week at the RFK Stadium training grounds.

*Veteran defender Mike Petke, who won an MLS Cup title with United in 2004, has signed with the Red Bulls. New York claimed the rights to Petke, 32, in November after he was waived by Colorado and negotiated a new deal with him.

*The league is close to finalizing the regular season schedule and hopes to unveil it by the end of next week. Teams have received preliminary schedules and are making alterations. The process of determining the site of MLS Cup is also in the late stages. The Insider reported last week that Seattle is among the finalists.

By Steve Goff  |  January 21, 2009; 2:18 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: D.C. United Notes

Comments

Patke back in NY. Dangit! We'll have to hate him again.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 21, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the news on Gallardo! I seriously hope he is 75-85% healthy by the start of the season...

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 21, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again with Gashardo.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | January 21, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I've always liked Petke as a defender. Good in the air, defensively and offensively, and good 1 v 1 (although not particularly quick). I suppose he would have been to expensive for United, if the FO was even interested in him.

@I-270: I've always preferred "dagnabit!" in such circumstances.

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 21, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Gallordo's news is an unwelcome one. I was hoping he is ready to roll.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | January 21, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

oops.....gallardo gaddardo gashardo

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | January 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

MLS Cup on FieldTurf? Hmmm

I guess they would pop in some grass, especially when you consider that the turf would be covered with Seahawks lines.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Ugh

1) Fine - if Gallardo is late but makes it through the season and contributes some inspired play, I'll be quiet - if not - I'm officially on the "You're a waste of money" bandwagon

2) I know that MLS really has some serious issues when it comes to crafting its schedule each year - but, really, no sport is only 7 weeks ahead of it's season start. I hope that the league office sees this as another black eye and not careful planning.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 21, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

So what's the good news?

Posted by: sitruc | January 21, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 21, 2009 2:43 PM

MLS is closer to college scheduling, pretty whacky. All down to what TV outlets can show their matches and at what time. NFL, MLB and NBA basically make their own TV times - MLS doesn't really have that luxury.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 21, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The Gallardo news is tragic. I hope he hasn't been dogging it though his recovery period. We need that guy to have a prayer this season. Without him we're thin as wax paper.

I guess that's the pitfall of the DP salary.

Posted by: Matte | January 21, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo is still not fully recovered from hernia surgery? Was his surgery performed by Barra members at the end of a tailgate? We're looking at 6 months of recovery and rehab at this point.

I hope this is just a case of him wanting to do the fitness work to prep for the season, but doing it in Argentina with his rehab specialist. I'd rather him go prima donna on us than for him to be both injury-prone and the world's slowest healer.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 21, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Over/under for Gallardo.
Starts: 14
Goals: 4
Assists: 5

Trips back to Argentina during the season: 4 (not showing up for preseason may count for 1)

Posted by: srfinger | January 21, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Have the Cup in DC? We already have the prez! It would be nice! Since they held the Cup in the West Coast already, dont you think? Granted they held the cup here in DC what two years ago..It doesnt matter, MLS allways holds the cup at the Home Depot center..so why not RFK!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 21, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Why do I forsee Gallardo having "Visa Issues" until the weather warms up in DC!

Posted by: Tweaked | January 21, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I see the Gallardo shenanigans are starting again

Posted by: Eugene7 | January 21, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

MLS Cup would be during gridiron season. Very unlikely that they would use tempgrass (that's temp, with a T, DadRyan) unless the Seahawks have a number of away games.

I'm not a physician either*, but the rehab time for Gallardo does not give me reason for optimism. And, after yesterday, I was full of the glass half-full feeling. maybe with a new health care policy...

* I'm assuming that none of the entries above are from a physician. If so, it would explain why I spend so much time in the waiting room.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 21, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo should just stay in Argentina. At least then there won't be the expectation that he will actually contribute to the club this season.

Posted by: roadkit | January 21, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo is a bad apple. He should stay in Argentina...maybe we can convince an Argentine club to sign him on loan. We should try to pick up Torres from Pachuca...that would be awesome!

Posted by: bigwave | January 21, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

hopefully the schedule is out soon!

I'm already late submitting my holidays (for October/Novemver) and my boss is not to happy about that.

I hope to catch as many Galaxy and MLS games as I can when I'll travel across the atlantic. (only catched 2 the last time)

Posted by: Ben7LA | January 21, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Albert Belle - Deion Sanders - Marcello Gallardo! Major $$$ mistakes we wish would could sweep under the rug.

Posted by: dsphvywght | January 21, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Petke is a wanker

Posted by: DWE4 | January 21, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29,

Oh I know. Between 15 teams, Television scheduling, quirky stadium scheduling, favorable date scheduling requests, X Games, NFL, College Football, Minor League Baseball, The All Star Game, Migration patterns of carrier pigeons, etc, etc, etc

I know it's a nightmare. However, I'm just saying that for ticket sales people, they have to be pulling out their hair and cursing Don Garber and the group that handles this for the league to no end. Seemingly, each year it gets better, but I still feel that for the bulk of the season to be announced so late is a bit problematic for the clubs and their ticket sales staff.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 21, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Sounds maybe that Gallardo is still trying to work out a transfer? The window hasn't closed yet, no?

Posted by: fischy | January 21, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Goff-
I heard from someone that they heard a rumor that DC was looking into possibly signing John O'Brien for the upcoming season. Any truth to that?

Upon researching, it appears the O'Brien was waived by Chivas in after '06 so its been 2 years so he should be a free agent as far as his MLS rights go.

A healthy O'Brien that could play anywhere from central defense to central midfielder sounds almost too good to be true... probably because he'd never stay healthy... still interesting none the less.... any insight?

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 21, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

If it's any consolation, Major League Lacrosse, who shares barns in CHI, COL and LA, does not have its schedule out for this year either. At least someone has third choice of venues behind MLS.

I really hope the Kenny Chesney concert on May 2 at Pizza Hut Park is screwing up the entire league's schedule.

Posted by: IamAM | January 21, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Humor oxymoron post of the day: "A healthy O'Brien...."

Posted by: 22206no1 | January 21, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

At least it's not like the EPL. When the season is announced all games are Saturday at 3:00 pm. Then the tv guys get involved and move them to 10:00 am or 5:15 pm or Sunday. Or maybe even Monday. This is done on approximately one month's notice based on what match is going to get the most viewers by moving it from the pack. In September the May Man United v. Arsenal match may look to be the match of the season, but by April it may not be as important as Aston Villa v. whomever. Try planning transatlantic airfare and travel to and from wherever when you don't even know what day or time the match is.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | January 21, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again! I'm already getting that sinking feeling. I hope he proves me wrong.

Posted by: carnack | January 21, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 21, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Why do I forsee Gallardo having "Visa Issues" until the weather warms up in DC!

Posted by: Tweaked | January 21, 2009 3:16 PM

I hope this doesn't end with a photo of him on the beach in St. Tropez during his "rehab."

Posted by: CDRHoek | January 21, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Yo Kev29 I could be wrong but I am under the impression that the grounds crew at Qwest are using some sort of easier to remove "paint" and have promised to have "no gridiron lines" for any of the Sounders matches....I know, I know, it's hard to believe, but maybe there is something we don't know about the XBOX 360 Pitch...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 21, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

VBB:

From what I recall, there's not a group that handles MLS scheduling. It's just some dude.

No, I'm serious. It's literally one guy.

BurchFan4:

The person that told you that is either trapped in 2002 or was just putting you on. O'Brien makes Gallardo look like Cal Ripken. He is retired and never coming back.

And for what it's worth, he was never a center back. Keeper, center back, and forward are the only positions he couldn't do an at least passable job at.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 21, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Why, oh why, did we give DP $ to an older player whose nickname is "the Doll?" If his nickname had been "The Beast" I could have understood it.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 21, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Good golly, I can't believe that he is STILL healing! And if he is healing, why can't he do that here where it can be verified that he is actually doing his rehab? If he can come back 100% immediately after his return, in shape, then I am wrong. If he doesn't, sue his butt and get some of that money back. For that money, hire someone to REALLY give him something to cry about. SHEESH!

Posted by: bdwooton | January 21, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Chest_Rockwell: Meant to say outside, not central... yeah healthy isn't in his vocabulary but it could a high risk-high reward thing... either way I don't put much belief in it at all..

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 21, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

...maybe there is something we don't know about the XBOX 360 Pitch...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 21, 2009 6:50 PM
___________________________
All the lines are drawn-in with software rather than painted on the field, so they're easy to erase! ;)

Posted by: schmuckatelli | January 22, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

How about a trade of Gallardo and Fenty for Brett Favre? Straight up.

We get a new stadium (no Fenty) and a celeb on our bench to bring in fans (Favre) and the Jets get a hairy and lazy Argentinian to take the fans attention off the crap play on the field (Gallardo) and a suck up who could spend time shmoozing with celebs and sell some luxury boxes (Fenty).

Posted by: Southeasterner | January 22, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse