Draft Day Mega-Thread

Greetings again from bone-chilling St. Louis.

The MLS draft commences at 2 p.m. ET. ESPN2's live coverage is for the first hour only. Beyond that, there is no video available (on TV or online). So please join the Insider as well as the league's website all afternoon for pick-by-pick details of the four-round event.

To read my D.C.-oriented story, click here. For draft data, click here.

My plan is to update this thread immediately after each selection and when trades are announced, though I'll probably bail out on the instant updates after the second round except for D.C. United's moves. I will use the continuation of this thread (click the little link at the bottom) for quotes and other news. I welcome your pre-draft, in-draft and post-draft thoughts.

And don't forget: Refresh, refresh, refresh!

Draft choices and trades here soon, jump below for news.....

1. SEATTLE: Akron forward Steve Zakuani (Lackluster combine performance didn't impact his standing; guaranteed Generation Adidas contract between $175,000 and $200,000; salary cap exempt; NCAA leading scorer.)
2. TORONTO: Wake Forest midfielder Sam Cronin (Best all-around player available; four-year player at one of the nation's top programs; central midfielder with poise and vision.)
3. LOS ANGELES: Maryland defender Omar Gonzalez (6-foot-5 central back, Generation Adidas contract, salary cap exempt, much-improved in the air, questions about foot speed and adaptation to quickness of the pro game)
4. TORONTO: Connecticut forward O'Brian White (23 goals in 2007, but slowed by injury this past season)
5. DALLAS: Michigan forward Peri Marosevic (Generation Adidas contract, salary cap exempt, 13 goals last season)
6. D.C. UNITED: Maryland defender Rodney Wallace (Generation Adidas, salary cap exempt, left after sophomore year, speed on left flank, Rockville native, Bullis graduate)
7. D.C. UNITED: UCSB forward Chris Pontius (25 goals the past two seaasons, 6 feet, 170 pounds; signed with the league)
8. KANSAS CITY: Notre Dame defender Matt Besler (first team all-American, native of the K.C. area, showed well at combine)
9. CHIVAS USA: Wake Forest midfielder Michael Lahoud (solid central player, signed with the league after senior season)
10. NEW ENGLAND: Indiana defender Kevin Alston (outside back, Generation Adidas, Silver Spring native)
11. NEW YORK: Maryland midfielder Jeremy Hall (left flank, fast, good with the ball, team-high 14 goals for NCAA champs, Generation Adidas)
12. RSL: Lynn midfielder Jean Alexandre (23 goals last season for Division II program, Haiti native)
13. TORONTO: Cal goalkeeper Stefan Frei (big-time potential, Generation Adidas, two-time all-American, Swiss native)
14. DALLAS: Washington midfielder George John (central player, all-Pacific 10, 6 feet 3)
15. NEW ENGLAND: Tampa midfielder Ryan Maxwell (Jamaican, 10 goals for Division II program)

Jump below for the second round.....

*Victor MacFarlane, D.C. United's co-managing partner, tells me that he has not had any recent discussions with the city government about the Poplar Point stadium project but that the club continues to pursue a deal. (Do you know the way to Greenbelt?) UPDATE: I hear there are issues with the land developers in Greenbelt and that other potential venues are being explored. (sigh)

*FC Dallas Coach Schellas Hyndmann says he has been approached about former MVP Christian Gomez, but does not think his club will acquire him from Colorado.

*DCU seems certain to keep its two first-round picks, figuring they are going to land quality players without moving up. My hunch is that Maryland's Omar Gonzalez will be the top overall pick in the draft, but we'll find out for sure very soon.

*RSL will join DCU at the Charleston preseason tournament in March.

*Duke's Mike Grella is on trial at Leeds but will probably be drafted. Unlike Marcus Tracy, who has a contract with Aalborg, Grella is not locked into a deal.

*The top three players who DCU figured might be available at No. 6 and 7 were Wallace, Pontius and Alston. They obviously went with the first two. Alston said he had heard rumors that DCU might claim him, but didn't know for sure where he would end up.

UPDATE: DCU was also strongly considering Frei, but decided to wait on a goalie until the second round and chose Loyola (Md.) standout Milos Kocic, who is a 6-4 Serb with a 1.04 goals against average in three seasons with the Baltimore-based Greyhounds.

SECOND ROUND
New England: Saint Louis midfielder Denaldin Hamzagic
DCU: Wake Forest defender Lyle Adams
Dallas: North Carolina forward Brian Shriver
Colorado: George Mason forward Kwame Adjeman-Pamboe
New York: Notre Dame defender Jack Traynor
Columbus: Boston College defender Paul Gerstenberger

Okay, I'm done with draft updates. I'll create a new, DCU-oriented thread later.

DCU President Kevin Payne, on the draft: "It's a pretty deep group. If Tracy and Grella had been in it, it might have been the best draft ever. Or certainly one of them. But as it was, it was still a very strong draft. It's got some real depth. Everybody's predictions what the first round was going to look like ended up being a little bit wrong. Usually it's fairly self-evident who the top five or six guys are going to be. This time, any combination of the first nine or 10 picks would not have surprised anybody. A lot of us didn't think Zakuani was going to be the first pick; that really changed the dynamic for the rest of the draft when he went first instead of someone like Gonzalez."

By Steve Goff  |  January 15, 2009; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kovalenko to Galaxy
Next: Draft Wrap

Comments

Steve O, are the Sons of Ben and the Seattle supporters in attendance?

Posted by: delantero | January 15, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Well I'm holding out hope the last 3 rounds will be streamed live on mlsnet like the last 5 years

If not, it'll be a step back from the league in its treatment towards dedicated fans

Posted by: undrafted | January 15, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Steve-O, is anyone in attendance. 3 hours before the event, I hope not....That's too geeky, even for me.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I won't be at the draft site for a while.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 15, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Columbus in a month's time... Alberta Clipper?

Posted by: AdamSpangler | January 15, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Haha..The SOBs and the Starbucks crew is out there..

man I could go for a cold draft right now..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 15, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

So, has any team actually improved this off season? Baffling moves in NY/NJ, baffling non-moves in DC and other places. After the last 8 years of religiously devouring the MLS minutae, I can solemnly say this winter has been the least interesting for me.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | January 15, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

1 year till Philly fans boo their #1 pick

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"So, has any team actually improved this off season?"

Seattle?

Posted by: noptov | January 15, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"So, has any team actually improved this off season?"

LA.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff are you hanging around for the WPS draft? Do you expect any more international signing announcements from WPS this week?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 15, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Hah! ReingKing. I beat you to it. And, in the immortal words of Khan Noonian Singh, "I've done far worse than kill you, [ReignKing]. I've hurt you."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

LA improved? They've picked up a handful of journeyman players. That's better than last year, but it's not that much of an upgrade.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Considering the A-League lineup (sans Becks) we fielded, anything is an upgrade .. .. With 'Landon-lite' now onboard, if we land GONZALEZ today with the 3rd pick .. .. =)))))))

Posted by: Samminish | January 15, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

This is just a ploy by Goffinho to drive up his hit count!

Posted by: strago | January 15, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"Refresh, refresh, refresh!"

Your wish is our command, oh Insider Overlord!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | January 15, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

This is a little off topic but has anybody weighed in on the naming of the new Philly franchise? All the proposed names AC, FC, Philadelphia City are lame. There has to be a better solution. I am not to keen on the AYSO type names like Galaxy, Fire of Redbulls but there has to be something with a little more character.

Posted by: wrcarlson | January 15, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

This is just a ploy by Goffinho to drive up his hit count!

Posted by: strago | January 15, 2009 12:07 PM

If he wanted to do that, he would post something along the lines of "Stadium...Fenty...Redskins...zzzzzz" :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"So, has any team actually improved this off season?"

LA.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 11:34 AM

*************
Well, not if Donovan and/or Beck-Ham stay over in Europe. I mean, nothing against Dema and Magee, but, well, yeah...

Posted by: EdTheRed | January 15, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Samminish-Who is Landon-lite?

Posted by: Barracudas | January 15, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

And you think LA hasn't improved? :)

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Man City is trying to sign Kaka while the Galaxy keeps trading for it.

Posted by: IamAM | January 15, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Frei would be a great pick up for them with one of their 1st rd picks...look at history, very few drafted players make an impact. Frei could be the keeper of the future for them

Posted by: gcbigdog | January 15, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

'Landon-lite' is MIKE MAGEE .. .. He has the same game as Landon .. .. A tweener who might be best running just behind the strikers .. .. Quick, pretty techinical and can use either foot .. .. Just like Landon .. ..

Posted by: Samminish | January 15, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I personally don't think Beckham or Donovan are coming back.

Posted by: strago | January 15, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

The last fan-vote-on-the-name promotion I can recall ended with "Washington Wizards". Bad idea.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Becks will be back; LD won't.

I always thought the Wizards should've been the Washington Justice. They could've played on the Supreme Court.

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I think the Gals will be so bad that they will get the first pick in next year's draft -- even though there will be an expansion team in the draft.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

EdTheRed and Jason1551. Dudes, get a grip. The question cannot be seriously answered. What's the comparison - last season's record to this offseason's personnel changes?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Kev29,

Seattle Sounders?

Posted by: B_A_ | January 15, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I am way too excited about this draft. Five of the Terps' starting 11 should be drafted by mid-second round.

I am particularly interested in whether the combine allowed AJ Delagarza to convince some MLS Scouts that he's worth a second look. I don't think he has gotten nearly enough credit for Maryland's success and that folks tend to look at his height and then focus (unfairly) on Gonzalez while ignoring everything AJ does on the pitch.

Posted by: CPAddick | January 15, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Nice one!

"Man City is trying to sign Kaka while the Galaxy keeps trading for it.

Posted by: IamAM | January 15, 2009 12:23 PM "

Posted by: delantero | January 15, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I hope that's the only time I have to read the word "tweener" today. I fear it won't be true. It's a dumb description of soccer players, and it also irritates me as a term to describe middle schoolers.

What pick did LA give up for Kovalenko? Was it a 2010 pick? I haven't seen clarification on that yet.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Ives said allocation money.

Is a DM a tweener?

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

From Goff's article: "United needs depth at almost every position, and while the front office continues to pursue Honduran forward Walter Martinez and an unidentified foreign defender, the team will look to the draft for support players."

Anybody have any insight into who this might be? Additionally, anybody have any insight into why United's FO is wasting their time on yet another foreign defender after their recent flameouts?

Posted by: Kenobi | January 15, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Foreign could mean anything. It could be a foreign player (like Chavez) or someone from a foreign league (like how FCD just picked up Steve Purdy).

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Reignking:

Yeah, that's also confusing. There are conflicting reports. SG and goal.com both mention a draft pick, Ives does not.

As for bringing up tweener immediately after I showed my disdain for it...well, I walked into that, didn't I?

Kenobi:

Where are we going to get a good defender right away? Within MLS, it would take a king's ransom to get anyone that is as good as what we need. There simply aren't defenders teams want to trade that will do the job well enough for us. Unless we can acquire a foreign-based American, we have little choice but to look for an international center back to fill the hole.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"an unidentified foreign defender"

Neven Subotic?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The Salt Lake Tribune says RSL gets a 2011 pick that will be determined by Kovalenko's performance in LA.

I hope the good people of St. Louis know to boo when the draft time out is used by someone (always seems to be LA). In fact, I'd say my willingness to support their expansion bid rides on it (thus far, I haven't really liked any of the choices).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

SERBIA can say whatever they want, but until the whistle blows with him on the pitch, the USA still has a chance to grab NEVEN .. .. fingers crossed .. ..

Posted by: Samminish | January 15, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Chest:
Fair enough, but an easy alternative would be to trade up today and grab someone like Gonzalez who could conceivably step into the lineup pretty quickly. Less money, possibly more upside, and he doesn't fill a foreign roster spot.

I-270:
Nice one.

Posted by: Kenobi | January 15, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@Kenobi,

I hear Gallas is out of favor in London....

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 15, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I would have no problem with us moving up to get Gonzalez. I would, however, have a problem if Soehn and Kasper think he's ready to start from opening day. I feel like he's going to need most of the season to really adjust. Also, the nerve center of the Terps back four was Delagarza. With our current crop of defenders lacking a vocal leader, I think we'd see a lot more of the same unforced errors paring Gonzalez and Janicki or McTavish (since none of them is the defensive leader we need).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Aaaarrrrggggg! Refreshing isn't working! The last comment I see is from 11:47am!

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | January 15, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"an unidentified foreign defender"

Neven Subotic?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 1:12 PM

That hurts, friend

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Would trading one of our first round picks be worth acquiring Bornstein from Chivas?

Posted by: niknakdcu | January 15, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Lets Get Pickin'

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | January 15, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

DCU will never get a new stadium at this rate.

Posted by: strago | January 15, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Sir Goff,
Is there a contigent from the STL supporters group? This would be THE place to show MLS it is serious about getting a team. Curious minds want to know.....

Posted by: boda-united | January 15, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Seattle takes Zakuani. Boooring. I predict Mo Johnston trades the #2 to a team not even in MLS.

That DC stadium news is frustrating, but with the way things have gone on our quest for a stadium, I am sadly not surprised.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Alexi Lalas is giving me a headache.

Posted by: B_A_ | January 15, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Sounds much quieter than last year, where are the boisterous supporters Steve? Did Garber bust out some soccer ball gags?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 15, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

i think we should just go ahead and draft tebow.

Posted by: stairs | January 15, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

time to trade up...trade the #7 and a first next year and go get Gonzalez

Posted by: gcbigdog | January 15, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

if seattle keeps zakauni, he might get more playing time than the swede w/ his injury history

Posted by: willykirk | January 15, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan:

St. Louis isn't as close to loud MLS supporters' groups as is Baltimore. There is some noise now from what sounds like Fire fans.

***

LA gets Gonzalez. I guess I have to begin hating him now. Nuts.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Curse you, Bruce.

Posted by: Kenobi | January 15, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Alexi Lalas is giving me a headache.

Posted by: B_A_ | January 15, 2009 2:12 PM

Ooooh - thanks for the warning. I'll stick to the web updates sans ESPN

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

If Frei's available, take him and trade him to CUSA for Bornstein.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Forgot they were in B-More last year. Good point.
Lalas may give some people headaches, but I still wish Rob Stone would have fallen off the roof in Toronto at the "Allstar" game.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 15, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

here we go Stefan Frei ! here we go !

Frei and a defender. Great first round if it happens...

Posted by: churtmah | January 15, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Toronto just drafted O'Brien White

Posted by: RedskinAddict | January 15, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan,

You don't think the hawk would've saved him?

Posted by: B_A_ | January 15, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Is Bornstein even an option? Come on.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 15, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

DC United is about to pick the two greatest American soccer players of the future...

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

O'Brian White goes to Toronto. 1 pick, 2 last names... Mo Johnston considers it a bargain.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

FREI.....

Posted by: gcbigdog | January 15, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Frei just fell into our laps! Take him and either Jeremy Hall or Kevin Alston!

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Alston and Frei, looks like. I would have liked Marosevic, but that was based on Frei being gone by now.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 15, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan,

Bornstein's come up in several different pre-draft articles as trade bait being dangled by CUSA.

Posted by: Kenobi | January 15, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Interesting about O'Brian White -- just before the draft began, Yallop was telling Greg Lalas (goal.com) that he would go high

Posted by: iammrben1 | January 15, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love that huge soccer stadium Michigan played in.....

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

There has been talk that CUSA would trade Bornstein. And they apparently do want Frei, desparately (according to Ives).

Posted by: combedge | January 15, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Steve, what happened to the updates????

Posted by: RedskinAddict | January 15, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Peri just went to FCD. So, it's got to be Frei and Alston with 6 and 7 right? Not to shabby.

Posted by: combedge | January 15, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I (heart) Rob Stone.

Posted by: beach3 | January 15, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Hall or Alston?

Posted by: B_A_ | January 15, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

B_A_:
I'd hope not.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 15, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Alston and FREI.....

Posted by: gcbigdog | January 15, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Ug, I wanted a forward.

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Sound goes out. What are we at RFK?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 15, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Wallace is such a project! PLEASE DRAFT FREI!!

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

great, garber steps to the podium and my sound goes out., are you kidding? are we really going to leave Frei on the board?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 15, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Rodney Wallace? Frei better be next pick then...

Posted by: combedge | January 15, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Wallace? For frick's sake

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I guess they are afraid of Alston's injury history

Posted by: gcbigdog | January 15, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Homer pick!

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Take Hall next...

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Raise your hand if you watched Wallace play in College Park over the last two seasons.

Great pick.

Posted by: CPAddick | January 15, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Rockville, represent!

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see my TV isn't the only one that lost sound right as Garber was naming Wallace.

Posted by: Juan-John | January 15, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Ives just supposed that maybe Wallace sandbagged the combine to fall to DCU at #6!

Posted by: combedge | January 15, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Wallace addresses a need we have, which is a speedy outside back but I'm not convinced he was one of the 2 best players available.

Posted by: mattgs84 | January 15, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I could read his lips and that was enough. I just hope Wallace was tanking the combine on purpose.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

270: 2:31 p.m. -- To answer an earlier question about the draft pick in the Dema Kovalenko deal, it's a conditional 2011 selection.

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Time-out? I have places to go. Why do we need a time-out? Is someone offering Kaka in exchange for this pick? What's going on?

Posted by: B_A_ | January 15, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wallace.

Good news: Speed, youth, high work rate
Bad news: There is lots of work to do to turn his raw talent into a polished player.

Wallace will have a shot to see some time without being relied on as a regular. That's good. I'm not over the top about this, but it's not bad.

***

We took the time out. People booed. St. Louis 2011!

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Why'd we take a time out? we don't need 9 minutes to decide that we WANT STEFAN FREI!!

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

You'd think they would have the 2nd pick ready. Either they are talking about Frei or talking about Frei with someone else.

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Booooooooooo! Draft time out! And it's our own boys...

Posted by: combedge | January 15, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

dc 5 minute time out
chivas usa on the phone!!
lets see what they want!

"according to Ives"

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | January 15, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they're having trouble getting Bornstein on the phone to tell him about his move to DCU?!

Posted by: combedge | January 15, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

DC calls a timeout. CUSA is talking with them.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Wallace looks pretty dang good in this '07 video -- 4 of their top 10 goals:

Posted by: jealousmuse | January 15, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

FREI!!

Posted by: beergorila | January 15, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

There are no time-outs in soccer

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

It's a conspiracy of silence

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

5-min timeout for DC

Posted by: iammrben1 | January 15, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope it's a Zach Wells trade...

Posted by: B_A_ | January 15, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

um, what?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 15, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

So, who's offering us a deal and what is it?

Party Boy!!!

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we want bornstein after drafting wallace but who knows?

Posted by: mattgs84 | January 15, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

DC takes Pontius. Good pick, but not the one I'd make.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Great, we just drafted one of the Jackass cast...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 15, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

C'mon! Pontius?! There better be a deal behind this...

Posted by: combedge | January 15, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

NO NO NO... WHEN GARBER SAID UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA I WAS SO PUMPED....AND WHEN HE SAID....OF SANTA BARBARA IT LITERALLY BROKE MY HEART....

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Pontius is the most MLS-ready forward taken so far.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

chris pontius? who is this?

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | January 15, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

...Fire Kasper and Soehn. It's hyperbole, and I don't really mean it, nor do I have enough information to judge these picks.

...But Fire Kasper and Fire Soehn. *sigh*

Posted by: B_A_ | January 15, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

What's the deal with the timeout?

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Are we just going to completely stop defending? Novel approach

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Party boy?

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Rob Stone compares Party Boy to Abdul Thompson-Conteh. I'm not sure he realizes what that means to those of us who watched him miss sitters on the regular back in the day.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

That pick makes no sense. They should have drafted Frei

Posted by: RedskinAddict | January 15, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Chris Pontius? That guy's, like, almost 35, his body has been through the wringer, and he runs with a bad crowd...

...what?

Oh, nevermind.

Posted by: EdTheRed | January 15, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

grrrrrr

Posted by: beergorila | January 15, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

What does "party boy" mean?

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

this may be a bit irrational but let me say: Soehn must go!

Posted by: churtmah | January 15, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

So we have a Pontius pilot up front?

When we could have had someone to set us Frei?

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hahahaha DC gets this guy as a forward. http://www.etoday.ru/uploads/2008/04/04/terry_chrispontius.jpg

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 15, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I would have picked Frei to trade him. He isn't ready now and won't be for a while.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Can you not have two Generation adidas rookies?

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

seriously, we leave GenAd players on the board? we don't need a forward to play right now.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | January 15, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe you beat me to the Big Brother reference Chest...
Wonder if Pontius comes with the dick watch...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 15, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Pontius is a great forward, but I really wanted Frei so we could trade wells and have back up in case Crayton doesn't resign this summer

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

if i knew anything about college soccer i'd probably be pretty upset right now.

Posted by: stairs | January 15, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

If Chivas passes on Frei, is there any chance he slips down to the 2nd round?

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Frei has fallen right into Chivas' lap...

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 15, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Ug, I'm going to have to put up w/ dumb references to that for the next few years?

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Im betting DCU is trusting Crayton this year -- but I still dont understand why they would take a forward?? Maybe a replacement to Rod???

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 15, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Pontius. Thank god we finally have a raw forward who will find ways to miss the goal.

Seriously, though, this is a decent pick in my mind.

Posted by: iammrben1 | January 15, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Pontius can also play left wing, so he's coverage when Guerrero has call-ups. He also agreed to a contract before the draft so he's not a flight risk.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

He isn't even GA.... we needed 2 GA's

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

All caps? A Fire Soehn/Kasper post? Please, convince me that Frei was going to be the new Friedel.

Settle down.

Reignking:

I take it you are not very immature. Otherwise, you would know all about Chris Pontius of Jackass and Wildboyz fame.

If our Pontius can match the brilliance of "Keep God out of California", he will make us all very happy.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

You think the owners of DC had something to do with it? I dunno if anyone saw it but they looked pretty involved with the pick shown on ESPN2

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 15, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

WHAT?!

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

CUSA takes Lahoud over Frei

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Did Frei kick a puppy at the combine or something? Why is he falling like a stone?

Posted by: jpeace121 | January 15, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

is there a chance that Frei falls 11 more picks to us? or do we pull some kind of trade to move up a little bit and steal him late?

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Frei is GA, right? So it's not like everyone's worried he'll skip off to Europe or anything.

Posted by: combedge | January 15, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Gotta be a defender. Maybe Evan Brown or Ogunbiyi.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

No one can replace Rod Dyachenko. Those are mighty big shoes to fill.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

It was Alston.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 2:44 PM

This is an MLS draft pick we're talking about here. He probably won't even see the pitch.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

NY's pick has gotta be Ring or Hall.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

TFC is gonna get Frei!!! Im calling it! RSL has seitz ...

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 15, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Not upset about Frei -- I don't think we needed a keeper in first round.

Forwards are the rich crop this year, and can be converted to the wing where we need them. Don't know much about Pontius, but he seems promising, and perhaps a little closer to pitch-ready.

Posted by: jealousmuse | January 15, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

TFC is pretty well set at goalie....

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

UCSH -- We got a Banana Slug!

Woo-hoo!

Posted by: bs2004 | January 15, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of not making the field -- that's why I was surprised to see a keeper rated so highly. Young keepers (Seitz) rarely see the field. They need time to lose their hair, for one.

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe DC will trade for TFC's 13th and grab a defender.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

This makes great Draft soundtrack music...
Not safe for kids or work..Shhhh.

Posted by: DadRyan | January 15, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Alston's bio looks terrific, and he's at least listed as a defender. Why didn't we draft him?

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I really don't know if United needs a guy up front who staples stuff to his chest and shoots firecrackers out of his butt.

Posted by: awiseman1 | January 15, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Because we have the "almighty" Namoff.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Maybe people saw something in Frei that the pundits at the combine didn't. Other than his GA status, I see absolutely no reason to go nuts like this. I liked the idea of taking Frei, but the reactions here are basically those of an angry mob gathering torches and pitchforks. Seems like wild overreaction to me. I guess that's what the internet is for, but still.

Hall to NY. I feel bad for my fellow Terps going to such clearly dastardly teams

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Because we have the "almighty" Namoff.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 2:56 PM

No one on earth has too many defenders, especially when they can also play in midfield.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bs2004

UCSH -- We got a Banana Slug!
Woo-hoo!

UCSH? University of California at Signal Hill?

UCSB (I assume that was a typo) are the Gauchos. UC Santa Cruz (Division III) are the Banana Slugs...

Posted by: EricB1 | January 15, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the drafttracker, the mini-Seattle logo looks like the Tampa Bay Mutiny's.

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Who the heck is John Alexander?

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Kev29,
And yet we did.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Jean -- not John

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

>but the reactions here are basically those of an angry mob gathering torches and pitchforks.

Nah, more like Philadelphians. I'll never forget when the Eagles picked McNabb over Ricky Williams, the fans went nuts, screaming "You don't take a project with the 2nd pick in the draaaft!!!"

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Jean Alexandre

French?

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Darius Barnes falls to us in the 2nd round. Or perhaps de la garza.

I bet New England takes Frei at this point, if no one trades up. He would be a much better backup than the execreble wedding singer Doug Warren.

Posted by: LiverpoolSC | January 15, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Kev29:

I would imagine it's because both Namoff and McTavish are best at right back. Alston was going to have to exceed expectations quite a bit to ever see time, and it's not like Namoff and McTavish are about to retire.

People too mature for the Party Boy references: I imagine Pontius the soccer player is sicker of it than you are.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Ives says TFC is taking Frei

Posted by: combedge | January 15, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Amazing ...

Mo Johnston potentially walks away with the best MF, the best FWD and the best GK in the pool.

Posted by: LiverpoolSC | January 15, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I thought TFC would skip past the goalie...

What do I know?

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Stefran Frei finally gets picked.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I called it... I called it

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 15, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Toronto FC is stealing this draft.. they considered Frei at 2 or 4, got him at 13... wow

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

RSL with the HUH? pick of the draft.

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Frei to TFC. Who's up for a castle storming?

Johnston will almost certainly be trading Frei or Brian Edwards (who is also a GA keeper).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Ring or Patterson will be available for us.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@ Liverpool -- TFC has had a couple of good drafts...They'll be a team to be reckoned with -- if not this year, then next.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Cmon, you know Mo is just gonna trade him :)

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Surprised ESPN2 is still airing the draft.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Maybe George John will be around at # 21

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

By jove! They've selected Stephen Fry... This is a dastardly wilde draft!

Posted by: jealousmuse | January 15, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind me some Brad Ring with our later pick in the 2nd round ...

We need some motor in the engine room ... we cannot always ask Clyde to do it every minute of every game.

Darius Barnes and Brad Ring would make me happy.

Posted by: LiverpoolSC | January 15, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Edawrds is not a GA goalie.

Posted by: EricZ | January 15, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

well scratch that!

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Chest. Hey - I'm just hoping we can get back to productive draftees, no matter the position. Good luck to our new guys (if they don't move on in trades)

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Or not. FCD just took him.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

George John would be nice.

Posted by: LiverpoolSC | January 15, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

we have Vide, do we need Ring?

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I pray that DC isn't dumb enough to want Cruz if he's available with our next pick.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

LiverpoolSC:

I agree on Ring or Barnes. That would be a good move for us.

EricZ:

You're right about Edwards. I'm not sure where that thought came from on my part.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we reached with Arguez and made some scratch off of it so why not pick Cruz and hoodwink some foreign team into buying him. :)

Posted by: beach3 | January 15, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Second "huh?" pick: NE takes Maxwell

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Good point about Vide. I don't know if he has enough upside to settle with him for the long-term ...

Of course, we might have an option for (aside from Barnes) guys like Lyle Adams or AJ De La Garza.

I want to see our defense upgraded above all, but some of that might come via a midfield player. CM is just the weakest part of this draft.

Posted by: LiverpoolSC | January 15, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Tampa Bay up next.

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Why does New England pick a wing-project like Maxwell when they already have Nyassi? That seems odd ... considering that their backline includes guys like Albright and Heaps (not getting any younger) and potentially Laurentowicz (if Valentino is not ready to partner Badilla).

Posted by: LiverpoolSC | January 15, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Once again, MLS teams are blowing their drafts -- selecting players I've never heard of.

Is Tim Tebow too big for MLS?

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

fischy: nice job ecumenically referencing both testaments in one post. Got anything on the Qur'an or the Vedas?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"*The top three players who DCU figured might be available at No. 6 and 7 were Wallace, Pontius and Alston. They obviously went with the first two."

------------------------

Ah, so that's why DCU didn't pick Frei. They figured he wouldn't be available at 6 or 7.

Ring is gone to SJ.

Posted by: combedge | January 15, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Feelings thus far:

We've upgraded our speed. Pontius was the best forward still in the draft. Wallace is a GA player that has the potential to be really good. Grade at the moment: B

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Where is Goff?

Posted by: beach3 | January 15, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Never mind ... was only reading comments lol

Posted by: beach3 | January 15, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I was under the impression that ESPN 360 would carry the full draft. Instead, they're showing Euro league basketball.

Is there anywhere showing the draft at all now?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Dang! NY gets the player with the most mellifluous name - Babajide Ogunbiyi.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

maybe Marshall at 21...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Just a hunch, but I'm wondering if RSL didn't get the steal of the draft? A midfielder with 23 goals? Even if it's against Div II competition, that's impressive. Plus, he's been capped by the Haitian national side...

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

No, Chest. It was only the ESPN show. No online feed or anything.

Posted by: beach3 | January 15, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Gals got a good defender with local ties -- De La Garza -- from the Bays.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

How come Arena keeps taking all these Maryland guys? I thought he only liked former UVA players.

Posted by: Kenobi | January 15, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

LA takes Delagarza. You have got to be kidding me. I now have to actively dislike virtually all ex-Maryland players.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Galaxy traded up for Chivas pick to get Delagarzza

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Could a MD kid please go to a team I can stand??

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Please take Lyle Adams here!

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | January 15, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Chicago takes Husudic. I hope we take Clements or Barnes

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Bummer I was hoping Delagarza or Ogunbuyi would be taken with DC's pick.

Posted by: mattgs84 | January 15, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I already hate Maryland players, but love Arena and UVa. I've got the opposite dilemma.

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

GA Baggio Husidic still available

Posted by: afadgsafhgd | January 15, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

nevermind

Posted by: afadgsafhgd | January 15, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

DC overreaches and takes Milos Kosic

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

DC signed veteran player Roland Burris -- finally making his jump up the big leagues, after a career toiling in lower leagues around Illinois. Besides being near the end of his career, this was a controversial signing -- and there had been talk that the league would void the deal. With Burris now in place DC's roster is almost complete. The final roster spot may go to a Jewish kid from Minnesota, who is switching careers..but, in reverse. He's going from the broadcast booth, to the playing field. Should be an interesting team to watch.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

A Serbian goalie -- when we could have had Neven Subotic?

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Things are getting chaotic. 2 straight trades.

Milos Kocic. Not sure about that one. On the other hand, Mark Mettrick ran some pretty good soccer camps back when I was very young.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

a local keeper.... maybe the last GA player... Danny Cruz.. will fall to 26... everyone knows he is a project

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha! We got a Serbian. Take that Subotic!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

MLS teams draft like the Braves -- local homer picks for all!

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

And NE will now take Barnes

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@ Chest -- what trades?

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I mean Adams

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

MLS owners just don't want to spring for relocation expenses :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

LA traded a player and picks for CUSA's pick

Chicago traded a pick and allo money to Colorado

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Reignking:

Maryland and Virginia having to unite against a common enemy, who was once their friend?

Sounds like a comic book.

***

Anyone else hoping Barnes lasts through KC and NE twice?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Zusi to the Wizards. Why does it seem like DCU keeps avoiding U.Md. talent? I had the same sense last year.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Jeezus -- A USAir jet down in the Hudson River. Seems intact, and in shallow water, but still....

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I hope we take Clements or Barnes with the next pick

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

NE take Denaldin Hamzagic

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

fischy: and just the other day, CNN had a headline that major US airlines hadn't had a crash in 2+ years.

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

We took Wallace. The only other MD player in this draft still available when we were up that fit for DC was Hall. Delagarza would either have to win a spot over Namoff and McTavish or be Parkhurst II to be a good pick for us. Zusi is an attacking mid/2nd forward, positions DC traditionally use on foreign stars.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Is NE switching to a 3-6-1?

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@ Chest -- You're right. I'm wrong. Nothing to look at. Move along...

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

DC takes Adams

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | January 15, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Lyle Adams to DC. More speed. I'm really surprised he fell this far. Even though it'll be hard for him to see time at right back (though this might signal that McTavish will be a center back no matter how much we dislike it), I think this is a case of taking the best available player.

I would have preferred Barnes, but this is not bad at all.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Not bad. Adams and Wallace give us speed on the outside. I still can't believe that Clements and Barnes haven't gotten picked.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Lyle Adams is a steal.

Posted by: -Niv- | January 15, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

So we basically traded Bobby Boswell for Lyle Adams....thats ok...Is Cruz gonna fall to the 3rd round? As a GA?

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 15, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Maybe DC already has the CBs lined up to sign and was looking at depth?

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Adams is from Orlando. That' where the Tucos are going to have an MLS franchise next year. Maybe they'll want to trade for him....

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Oops -- I mean Tuzos.

If you don't know what I'm talking about Pachucas owner says he's secured an MLS franchise in Orlando. I'm sure all the groups that are in the competitive bidding process were interested to hear of this development.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Adjeman-Pamboe went to Mason and is from Bowie. Kids with local connections are going like hotcakes.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

how many of these muppets are actually going to get playing time..

Posted by: mizage | January 15, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Brooklyn took Hasidic?

OK. I'm done with the lame jokes...

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Why did DC wait so much for a goalie if they couldve had an awesome one with Frei?

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | January 15, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

That Tuzos USA thing is either a total lie or a total disaster. I read about it a couple of days ago. The Mexican articles about it gave me the idea that they were just mistaking USL for MLS.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, thats sort of an odd statement, considering they took Wallace at #6.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | January 15, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

OK. I'm done with the lame jokes...

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 4:21 PM
=================

Another ethnic stereotype shot to pieces.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell,

I don't think it's as bad as I say, though that part of my mind that despises rationality and logic thinks this draft could've been much better for DCU. I've seen Wallace and Kocic play, and I think they're great talents. Pontius has the ability to be a good forward in MLS. And I don't want Kasper nor Soehn terminated at this time.

But that irrational part of my mind still says "We could've performed better".

Plus, I wanted to see if I was capable of writing hyperbole and having it regarded as (admittedly poor) humor.

Posted by: B_A_ | January 15, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

5 teams between us and Barnes. Getting him on top of Adams would be very impressive work. I'm guessing we'll take Yohance Marshall if Barnes gets nabbed by one of the teams ahead of us.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Amazing pics of the crash...looks like people walking on water...

Posted by: Reignking | January 15, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

BA:

If it wasn't for the sigh at the end, I was thinking it was a joke.

And don't worry about being irrational. The irrational part of my mind already imagines that Pontius and Adams are signing for some Danish team as I type.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Seattle takes Karkas

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Pontius already signed a contract with MLS

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@ Sonic -- I already retracted the "odd" comment.

@ I-270 -- sorry to disappoint...

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Amarikwa to Sj
Boateng to LA

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the other consideration in the MLS Draft that doesn't appear in other sports drafts' is that you're not just taking the best player at the position you need - you're taking the balance of that with a kid who's likely to make the team and sign with the league.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 15, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

TFC take Grella

Seems like another Lapira-esque pick

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

jason1551:

My rational side thanks you for that blow against paranoia.

***

TFC takes Grella. They're done for the day in terms of actual drafting. If he can't sign in Europe and comes back, this has the potential to be the best draft by a team in MLS history. If not, I doubt Johnston bats an eye.

One more pick and we're back up. Anyone at MLS HQ starting to get worried that Danny Cruz will go undrafted?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

CUSA takes Christensen. DC up...

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

DC takes Brandon Barklage.

Who?

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Please please Barnes.

Posted by: LiverpoolSC | January 15, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

DC takes Brandon Barklage. What this tells me:

1. The McTavish as center back experiment will very likely be continuing this year.
2. DC has taken what I'm guessing is the best available player in their eyes 2 rounds in a row. We're probably not doing anything else during this draft. I wonder if Soehn and Kasper will literally leave like Johnston and co. did midway through the 3rd round last year.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Good call, Rockwell, as we don't have any more picks ;)

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

it's funny the comments for this thread began with "Steve O" then continued to mention "Chris Pontius"...

Posted by: beergorila | January 15, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

You can still make trades, not that I see us making any. Someone like Zaher is a bit expendable now with Wallace on board, for example.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

The draft tracker says TFC just took Jeremy Hall, who was already taken by NY. And I thought taking Grella was a longshot...

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff -- We need the scoop on Barklage. Is he there? Don't leave St. Louis without getting the skinny on him and an interview.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@ Chest -- I'm sure that DCU took waht htey htought was the best available player. GIven teh time picks need to develop, I"m sure all teh teams do that.

Question though -- I find it curious that they passed a Gen. Adidas player like Hall, to take Barklage. Does anyone who knows something about these players think that's a good call?

Purple Line update -- Light Rail chosen. Can a New Carrolton stadium be far behind?

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Here's a kick in the pants:

Chicago gave Colorado the rights to Matt Pickens when they traded second round picks.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

@ Chest -- I don't noticed that -- I was wondering how Hall slipped so far. This may be the most comical pick since Bret Saberhagen was taken in the 5th round of the SMABL fantasy baseball league draft in 2001.

Surely, MLS should have saved the Red Bulls from taking someone already selected.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Barklage is a fwd/mid from St Louis ... left to play for New Mexico ... then transferred back to St Louis. He was not a big-time scorer ... 5'11" 165 (listed).

He scored better his senior season ... (7g 10a). He played up-top with Kyle Patterson ... and he probably passes well enough.

Posted by: LiverpoolSC | January 15, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

fischy, that Jeremy Hall pick from TFC was wrong. They actually took Kyle Hall

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

It burns me up that Darius Barnes goes to NE Revs ... I wanted to see them starved of solid centerback prospects.

Posted by: LiverpoolSC | January 15, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

OK -- Draft-tracker error. Not Jeremy Hall by TFC. Another guy named Hall

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

fischy:

What I mean is that we stopped looking for players to fill any specific hole down the depth chart. It stopped being about "let's grab the best forward/center back/keeper left" and more about "let's take the best player period".

I don't think we passed up on Hall as much as just preferred Wallace and Pontius.

Purple line progress...that's a positive.

jason1551:

Pickens is an improvement over Coundoul and Burpo, but I still don't think of him as anything more than an average MLS keeper.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Toronto took Kyle Hall (not Terp Jeremy Hall)- F - Syracuse (Canaidan player born in Trinidad)

Posted by: EricZ | January 15, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 5:05 PM
=================

Let's not jump the gun. I'm sure the environmentalists will sue to block development because light rail will disrupt rat and pigeon habitats.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Colorado takes Ross Schunk ("oafish" would sum up most reports of his showing at the combine), while the highly rated Jordan Seabrook remains on the board. Odd. David Hertel is also still out there.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Clements won't get drafted and we can have him come in on trial

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the draft picks, you can make a couple of assumptions:

Kusic replaces Thorpe
Wallace replaces Zaher
Pontius replaces Cordeiro

I think Zaher will be the one I miss the most.

Adams gives us a better backup than Thompson, while Barklage is going to have to beat out someone for the last roster spot.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "oafish"? He'd be the perfect replacement for Peralta. DCU should trade.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Clements won't get drafted and we can have him come in on trial

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 5:28 PM
================

Isn't Roger already on trial?

Oh hush. You know it was coming.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 15, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

jason1551:

I pretty much agree with all of that. I'd also be slightly concerned if I was Khumalo, since Pontius can play up front or on the wing (and Khumalo takes up a foreign player slot). I don't know enough about Barklage to judge, but I'd assume it's going to be tough for him to find a space in midfield, since that's our only area of depth.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I'd also be concerned if I was Doe, but that's because Doe wasn't nearly as effective (or fast) as people think he was.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Dynamo take a flier on Tracy. I guess this means there's no one good left to draft.

Posted by: fischy | January 15, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

There goes Houston with the Marcus Tracy pick. Gotta love their determination to make something out of nothing in the fourth round

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I think Doe is safer than Khumalo, though I think you're right in saying he's not 100% safe due to his inconsistency. When Doe is on, he's clearly more threatening than Khumalo, and I think his potential is greater. However, when he's off, we might as well have Dyachenko out there. Khumalo is pretty consistent, but I am not sold on him ever being more than a role player anywhere in MLS.

RSL just took a 26 year old in Futhi Bhembe. MLS doesn't even know where he's from beyond playing at that traditional NCAA powerhouse, Alabama A&M.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 15, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's a kick in the pants:

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 5:07 PM

------------------------------------

Ives says Pickens has re-signed with MLS.

Posted by: Kenobi | January 15, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Yet, I would be happy if both Doe and Khumalo were shipped off to make room for a decent right midfielder or centerback prospect.

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I hate Columbus. They just took Clements with the last pick of the draft.

Maybe we'll go after Hertell?

Posted by: jason1551 | January 15, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

You can make an argument that, other than Jata (who apparently gave a speech), these 4th rounders may have been better off being left undrafted and getting to shop themselves around MLS.

Also, I'm spent.