Freddy Fever

USA's Freddy Adu starts at forward, plays 68 minutes and draws a first-half penalty during Monaco's 1-1 tie with Juventus in a friendly today. The French club won on PKs, 5-4. Might this be an indication of a bit more playing time for Adu in the second half of the Ligue 1 season?

By Steve Goff  |  January 6, 2009; 3:18 PM ET
Categories:  France , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quaranta Returns
Next: Hernandez and the USA, Tracy and .....

Comments

One can only hope...

Posted by: Juan-John | January 6, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 6, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I think it's an indication that Freddy will lead the USA to the World Cup Final in 2010, where we will be victorious with his hat trick....

Oh, wait, a friendly?

Posted by: JkR- | January 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Nice lil' stadium, though...

Posted by: Juan-John | January 6, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, wait, a friendly?

Posted by: sitruc | January 6, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about A FRIENDLY...I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about A FRIENDLY, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about A FRIENDLY. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about A FRIENDLY man." - F. Adu

Posted by: LookingDangerous | January 6, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm a bit more impressed by Messi's hat trick at Atletico Madrid today in the CdR...

Posted by: Reignking | January 6, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

What Joedoc said.

Posted by: Modibo | January 6, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey, it's better news about Adu than we've gotten in a long time. I'll take it.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 6, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for mentioning this FRIENDLY in the kickaround STEVE!
Saw it on the feed list but thought it was basketball or something and didn't bother to check it out...
Ah who cares. Missed the Messi hat trick but my feed cut to some awesome looking booty worship video that I had to shut down in the presence of the tiny tot. Just wasn't my day I guess:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | January 6, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

a stadium with a track around it is crap.

anyone find highlights that include Adu drawing the penalty. rojadirecta has nothing.

Posted by: muskratinator | January 6, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, yes, but did Moreno pass him the ball?

...I'm a few years behind, aren't I?

Posted by: B_A_ | January 6, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

It's a friendly but Juventus played their first team, as people can see, so it's not like he was up against chumps.

Monaco also gave it up at the death -- Juve equalized in the 90th minute. Which implies they were doing well while Freddy was in there and the players switched in messed up defending the 1-0 lead.

Friendly or not, this is definitely a good thing for Freddy. I think he'll get more time. This game to me really sounds like it could be an inflection point for his time at Monaco.

Posted by: Eugene7 | January 6, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Penalty kicks for a friendly?

Why?