Gallardo Is Gone

D.C. United General Manager Dave Kasper has confirmed that Argentine midfielder Marcelo Gallardo will not return to the club. The sides reached agreement this morning to break ties, allowing Gallardo to return to the Argentine league.

[UPDATED]

Kasper: "We have reached an agreement with Marcelo to let him go back to Argentina and finish his career. We basically released him from his obligations. He is now free to sign and finish his career down south."

"It's disappointing. We were looking for him to come back and be healthy and spend a year here, but at the end of the day, he didn't settle in the way we thought and he made a final decision on his side that he wanted to finish playing with presumably River Plate."

"We had some discussions this past weekend with his agent, and that's the way he was leaning. Things progressed with him with an opportunity to go back. ... We had indications there was a possibility that he was thinking about it. He was pretty up front about it. We thought that he was coming back, but he had some last-minute thoughts. I am sure part of it is that he had a couple clubs interested in him, and at the end of the day, we all know where he started and where he wanted to finish up."

United has no financial obligations (payroll or salary cap).

"We move on to preseason and continue to identify needs and go on from there."

Do you regret signing him last year?

"You can never predict the future when you sign a player. He was very keen to come."

Will the club fill the designated player slot?

"The coming weeks will answer that question. ... From the time he told us that it was a possibility, we've thought about [a replacement]. We've had it in the back of our mind. Now it is final and we move on from there. ... It is a bit of a challenge [signing a foreign player at this point]. You have to find the right situation -- players who can basically walk away from their club. ... It is an ongoing process. You look to make your team better in each transfer window, and that could extend into the summer."

The rest of the world shuts down the transfer window this weekend, but MLS allows international signings until April. However, DCU could wait to make an impact signing this summer, when there are more options.

He declined to address questions about Christian Gomez's possible acquisition.

More to come.....

By Steve Goff  |  January 30, 2009; 1:46 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greetings From RFK
Next: In Other DCU News.....

Comments

So long Gallardo, don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

Posted by: beltwayrob | January 30, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least now we can move on from this drama.

Posted by: bigwave | January 30, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Does DC get any compensation money for Gallardo's exit?

Posted by: niknakdcu | January 30, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Well as they say, "that's that".

But before we wrap this strange happening up I just want to say this...Gallardo I was one of your staunchest defenders, and one has to respect the whole playing, working and living where your heart lives thing, but something about the way this went down really ticks me off somewhat. I look at KC and the act of humility and humanity that their DP demonstrated and then I look at ours...no two DP situations are equal, but you've gotta be kidding me! This thing has shade of Lothar Mattaus written all over it.

In the end it works out for us because it frees up room to get 2 - 4 guys who actually want to be and play here in place of one dude who does not. Gallardo, I wish you all the best and success in your new endeavors, but this whole adventure kind'a leavse a sour to bitter taste in my mouth.

In any case, that's that and we'll just keep on keepin' on.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 30, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The right move.

Posted by: mpd1 | January 30, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Though Gallardo did have that one nice full volley goal...What a management blunder...trading Christian Gomez...and now we're left with _____?

Posted by: dayface | January 30, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Finally!

Posted by: francisco_11 | January 30, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@dayface,

Probably Christian Gomez and a second Designated Player spot....

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 30, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

To the sound of Super Trampp:

"Goodbye Marcelo
It's been nice
Make sure to eat your
Beans and riiiice

United's better
Without you
But please get healthy
And play well tooooo..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 30, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Please, please, Kasper & Co. do not go after another Designated Player. I'd rather have 2-3 moderately expensive players than blow it all on one.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | January 30, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

It's like last year didn't happen.

Posted by: Reignking | January 30, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I still don't like this.

Posted by: sitruc | January 30, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

We "may" have the money for multiple moderately expensive players now, but we don't have that many senior positions available. In reality, I believe we only have 1 senior position available now.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | January 30, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@Eric_in_Baltimore,

Agree - however, I think a designated player is still a great pick up, it's just not the easy signing it has appeared to be. Just because you CAN go and sign anyone you want and only have them hit the cap for a certain amount, doesn't mean that you should.

When you see guys like Guille, JPA, Blanco, and for my money, DeRosario and what they bring the game and their teams - it's totally worth the money. However, our owners (and by our I mean MLS, not just DC's) have gotten way too excited by who they can afford.

I'm ready for DP money to be spent on a guy who's talented but not in the rotation in Mexico. Or figure out what needs to be paid to some of these guys at Saprissa or somewhere else.

The time is coming where the TV exposure and better flights between Europe and America will prove to be a much better vehicle for Euro dreams of the young and aspiring.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 30, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

That phrase, "The sides reached agreement this morning to break ties.." brought back memories of the shoot out :-)

Posted by: seahawkdad | January 30, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance.

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | January 30, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget, they can trade away that second DP slot. This must mean there is a gap in CAM...no Gallardo, no Dyachenko. No one on the current roster is a true central midfielder/playmaker. Lots of guys to play wide, but none to own the center circle.

Gomez - who I don't see as being a step forward...more like calling your ex-girlfriend when drunk at 3am - is not a single solution, either. He was a 60 minute player three years ago. Even if he comes back, more timeworn and slower, there would have to be some back up.

I am glad I talked my son out of getting the 'Gallardo - 10' printed on his DCU shirt.

Do they keep the DP, just in case? Or do they trade it away to sweeten an deal on a cheaper option?

Posted by: ErickSp8 | January 30, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad both parties seem to come to an agreeable solution. That said, I hope we can forget 2008 pretty quickly.

I loved watching Gallardo in a DC United kit. But he was thrown into a terribly difficult situation as the Front Office seemed to want immediate results after overhauling our roster.

Gallardo's influence may have been different if Perkins, Boswell, Olsen, and Gros had all be available. ...But they weren't. Injuries are part of the game and the schedule was our of our control. In the end, it was a bad experience, and I'm glad that Gallardo and United were able to find a solution that worked for everyone.

Posted by: TCompton | January 30, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

granted the front office overhauled the roster but they did such a bad job. Most of the overhaul is gone..

what are they really thinking..? Lets bring who we want, the fans will over that..

idiots..wasting money in such a weak economy..(well weakening)

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 30, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

the fans will love that**

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | January 30, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Eric_in_Baltimore:

I'm inclined to agree. Like I said in a previous thread, I believe that a team using 2 DPs in MLS's current salary structure has very little chance at succeeding. Even using one, the player has to either be brilliant or make up for their salary at the box office.

sitruc:

And I still agree. It's too close to the beginning of the season. The only replacements that have been connected to us in the entire offseason have been Gomez and Martinez. One is 34, and one is being courted in Spain. Veron was brought up again, but only in connection with a summer move; we'll be a minimum of 19 league games into the season by then.

I'd be thrilled if Gomez comes in, proves me wrong, and we set MLS alight. I just don't see it happening. That said, Gallardo's desire to leave made it impossible for us to keep him around. The key is that we make an effort to replace him immediately (and with someone that won't break down and miss half the year).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 30, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

At least now that we've tried the DP route and found that it can suck, maybe we'll stick to what we do best: finding cheap talent that can produce on the field.

Posted by: tundey | January 30, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Best part of the post:

"United has no financial obligations (payroll or salary cap)."

Excellent!

Posted by: 22206no1 | January 30, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to add DeRosario to the quality CAM list. Still beside the point, though, as neither he nor Schelotto are going anywhere anytime soon.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | January 30, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Sooo, has Appiah been offered by Spurs yet?

Posted by: Josh8 | January 30, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

All of that saved money is going to the new stadium.

Posted by: Reignking | January 30, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Prince Paul -- my understanding is that Martinez isn't just "being courted in Spain," but that Alaves had already introduced him to their fans. Not true?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | January 30, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Just goes to show ya "money can't buy you goals" !!! I would much rather see a young player with hustle, heart and drive given a decent living wage and watch them develop and "fight for the shirt", rather than bring in high dollar "glory boys" who as they say in Texas are "all hat and no cattle" !!

Posted by: patrick18 | January 30, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I checked the "jubilant" option on Goff's poll the other day about how we'd each react to Gallardo's departure.

Not quite jubilant, maybe, as I have nothing personal against Gallardo. It's just his presence and salary were too much for a team that had other roster needs, too. He did score what should have been the goal of the year in 2008 but overall he missed so much action, and his replacements were so much lower in impact, that he had to go.

"United has no financial obligations (payroll or salary cap)." - that's the part I'm really happy out.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 30, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"rather than bring in high dollar "glory boys" who as they say in Texas are "all hat and no cattle" !!"

I agree. Nicely said, patrick18!

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | January 30, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

The way I look at it, why should they just release when they could have asked for a transfer fee? Or is that even allowed in the MLS?

Also, because they did release him outright to sign wherever that means they may have plans to use the DP spot soon if they are not already in talks with the agent of some player, possibly Gomez. But I don't think they want to use the DP now as the stadium issue is more pressing than this is to the fans.

Posted by: SexyOffender | January 30, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

If a replacement DP cannot be found, i would suggest giving Jaime a raise to $1M. He's earned it, especially for carrying the team and really doing some heroic work last year. It'd only be a cap hit for his salary up to 325K. Can't be more than 100K.

Otherwise I want my $2 back!

Posted by: LookingDangerous | January 30, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

With Gallardo gone, let's play Fred as a central attacking midfielder and use the Muñeco money to buy a dedicated right winger. My guess is that Fred will be more consistently successful in the center of the field than on the wings.

Posted by: SSMD1 | January 30, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

see a young player with hustle, heart and drive given a decent living wage and watch them develop\

=========================

and that well said too. let's get some more of those, perferably in the mold of a ryan nelsen

Posted by: OWNTF | January 30, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo never felt comfortable here and had turned his attention back to Argentina long before the Appiah story broke.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 29, 2009 9:37 PM
_____________________________________________

So Mr. Goff, given your statement you wrote yesterday stating this, and now knowing that he indeed was interested, what exactly got him back? Was it that river was in need or he just was looking to leave? Cause there was also interest from Estudiantes.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 30, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Josh8

I read somewhere that Appiah is a lawsuit waiting to happen (some really nasty, bad blood between him and his old team). I understand that that's scaring some Euro sides off. I'm not so sure DC wants to dance that dance, considering that we are just smarting from this break-up.

I still am not sold on Gomez. I know he's a sentimental fan fav (like Tino) and it's blasphemy to even assume reason when you talk about him, but I don't think he's a 90 min player - heck I don't think he was one in his last season with us (which was 2 years ago). But considering this Gallardo saga, I won't have a problem with Gomez coming back if but to sure thigs up until the summer window when we can find a starting ACM (that is on the right side of 30 and can take a hit). That said, for me any Gomez deal MUST require that the Rapids eat at least 1/2 of his cap hit. Anything less would just be bad business and wreak of desperation in my eyes. The one benefit from Gomez's presence is that Emilio can stay a bit higher (his strength) instead of having to drop back as was called for by Gallardo's style of play.

Best case scenario, we get lucky and find a hustler who may not be Gallardo, but has Gomez's tenacity and range. It's a stretch, but stretching reality is normal after break-ups, no?

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 30, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Why don't they just reduce ticket prices with the money saved? In a recession, every penny counts.

Posted by: notafembot | January 30, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Goff -- I have a question about how this works. It seems we have one senior international slot available -- unless there's a radical change to the roster. And, I gather we have a DP slot we can fill. Sounds like a perfect fit, even if it comes too late in the transfer window to make a difference now.

However, I'm wondering how long this lasts? Is the former Gallardo slot DC's own DP slot? Or, is it the Colorado slot, which I believe expires at the end of the year? I'm guessing in either case they could be flipped at the end of the year, if Emilio isn't re-signed (or gets a cut?!? in pay). Could DC sign a new DP and still use a second slot at the end of the year -- either just to re-sign Emilio, or maybe to bring in someone else?

Of course -- all of the above might be rendered moot if MLS adds another DP slot at the need of the year -- or maybe not? Would DCU possibly be able to have 3 DPs -- two of their own, and one from Colorado?

Can you answer any part of this?

Posted by: fischy | January 30, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

^^^If i remember right, DC gave away that spot to emilio to put a fire under his butt to get him scoring again, since the DP was going to go back to colorado sooner or alter.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 30, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

My guess is if they don't go after a CAM to fill the role - slide Jaime back and move Santino to Jaime's position.

That should work as it plays to their current strengths.

James

Posted by: bs2004 | January 30, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

DC can't claim any penalty on Gallardo and make some money out of all of this?

Posted by: sitruc | January 30, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@Bolivian -- that's the essence of my question. If DCU adds a DP this season, does the Colorado slot revert back to Colorado anyway? Or, can DCU extend it indefinitely by signing a new DP, and re-signing Emilio?

Posted by: fischy | January 30, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@notafembot,

Because sports teams just don't reduce ticket prices in general. At worst - they cut concessions, parking, or freeze prices.

And besides - things are booked this year. DC United tickets are a BARGAIN compared to everything else.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 30, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Jaime's legs aren't up to the #10 role -- at least not as a starter, all season.

Posted by: fischy | January 30, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

They can't cut the concessions any further -- not without cutting them out completely.

Unless, you meant cut the prices....

Posted by: fischy | January 30, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Jaime is not a #10. He is not a #9 either. He's somewhere in between those .. his best spot is a withdrawn forward, but not an attacking CM as he doesn't have the pace nor quickness anymore.

Tino may eventually be a good #10, but I still think he's a better wide player and striker. He can not carry this team as a CM.

Gomez, Gomez, Gomez. He fits our system, he knows the players well. Get him now and figure out the DP stuff later.

Personally, I'd like to see su reject the DP spot and horrible idea that one player is worth so much more than the other 10.

Posted by: delantero | January 30, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

What I'm hearing on Spurs boards is that Appiah played 90 minutes in a reserve match on 1/28 and looked good. Word is that the final touches are being made on his signing with them. So, it appears that option is gone (if it ever was an option).

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | January 30, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

The front office needs to take a trip to Brazil. Find a young magician (CAM), and sign him to the DP, rather then going for 30 something has been's.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | January 30, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Soooo.... he's not starting the opener, is that what we are dealing with here?

Posted by: IamAM | January 30, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo Who?

Posted by: fischy | January 30, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with SSMD1.
I mean Fred's natural position IS at the CAM positiion, thats the reason why DC was so interested in him after his MVP season in Austrailia. I would much rather spend money on a proven Right Winger(Not too old), and a Commanding, Tall Centeral Defender. Then Move Tino to Forward and find some cash for another forward or some
bench players. For Example, a popular name this off-season, Mr.Juan Carlos Arce.
Also I'm not entirely sold on Gomez. I love him to death, but we have to think realistically. He sat the bench in Colorado, is 34 and who knows if hes even a 60min player. I know hes a proven player but, really?
We cant keep looking back at what was, we need to look forward.

Posted by: Fisty409 | January 30, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

CAM...no Gallardo, no Dyachenko

Posted by: ErickSp8 | January 30, 2009 2:33 PM
------------------------------

Dyachenko was a CAM? Only if CAM = Central A'hacking Midfielder...

Posted by: adatsko | January 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ErickSp8 | January 30, 2009 2:33 PM

-----------------

What about Fred? Are people forgetting that he earn A-League MVP playing CAM

------------

Posted by: ErickSp8 | January 30, 2009 2:33 PM

---------------------

Yes, but if its a slump buster, its going to be worth it.

Posted by: afadgsafhgd | January 30, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | January 30, 2009 3:21 PM
_____________________________________________

IMO Moreno is making that transition like etcheverry since he slowed down, frmo a forward, etcheverry used to play as a supporting striker, but later transitioned to the middle. Moreno seems to be doing the same.

But Moreno and Gomez can switc that role up to confuse defenses.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 30, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Mr. Appiah, white courtesy phone please..."

Posted by: beergorila | January 30, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

What position was Fred playing in when we loaned him to Welligton?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 30, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

It's like last year didn't happen.

Posted by: Reignking | January 30, 2009 2:22 PM
--------------------

Honestly, someone has to step up and say that they screwed up big time last year. Here were our off season signings: Gallardo, Martinez, Peralta, Niell, Carvallo.

They are all gone.

Perhaps the front office doesn't need to be replaced, but someone needs to own up to these failures. We can't take a Bush White House approach to our endeavors.

Posted by: churtmah | January 30, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Now we don't have to hear the FSC announcers slaughter the pronunciation of Gallardo's name.

Posted by: Reignking | January 30, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@fischy

RFK needs to get rid of all (prepared) food concessions. They're damaging to the health of all soccer fans. They should have a Surgeon generals warning! Keeping drink concessions is OK though...they seem to handle that well.

Posted by: bigwave | January 30, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko was a CAM? Only if CAM = Central A'hacking Midfielder...

Posted by: adatsko | January 30, 2009 3:32 PM
---------
ha!

Posted by: churtmah | January 30, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

actually, the Gashardo pronunciation was part of Christoper Sullivan's relentless quest to convince us all of his worldliness. In Argentina, the double L is pronounced like a slurred j. So instead of Gai-yar-doh it was Gai-sjhar-doh.

Nevertheless, it was super annoying. I honestly think that in most US FSC broadcasts the primary goal is to convey that the announcers took high school spanish. With all of the layoffs in this country, I still don't know how Miles has a job.

Posted by: churtmah | January 30, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Metzler:

I didn't know he'd been presented. That's a fairly significant strike against. It's not that I was counting on him being here (once the Alaves interest came out, I figured we were not going to get him), but it still sucks. Potential star within CONCACAF, able to play attacking midfield and as a forward, sweet hair...there was a lot to get excited about with Martinez.

SSMD1:

I disagree about Fred. He's too careless with the ball to play in the middle unless we're in an emergency. Quaranta is a better fit there (though neither is ideal). The last thing a team that can't defend needs is constant turnovers in midfield. I also think he'd draw a lot of cards, since he already has a tendency to commit 4 or 5 fouls per game despite not being around the ball as much as a central player is.

Kosh:

I agree with pretty much your whole paragraph on Gomez. I guess we're heretics now.

fischy:

Don't we also have an additional foreign slot from Colorado (along with their DP)? That would give us 2 extra spots.

The 7 foreign players currently attached to the club are Crayton, Kocic, Martinez, Fred, Khumalo, Emilio, and Doe. Martinez is almost certainly not going to remain with the team, and his spot will be taken by Roger.

I believe Gallardo was signed with our DP slot, and Emilio was signed with Colorado's. However, I don't see why that would matter. As we've got our "permanent" slot, I'd imagine with Gallardo gone that Emilio now holds that one. The Colorado slot, which expires either this year or in 2010 (there was some murkiness about the possibility of it being extended in the initial Gomez deal), is now unused. As for MLS changing the rules at the end of 2009, your guess is as good as mine.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 30, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

We should sign Ronnie O'Brien and move either Fred or Tino into the center. Given the personnel we currently have and assuming we won't be signing Gomez or some other foreigner that would be a very good option.

Posted by: owendylan | January 30, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I like the "sign Ronnie O'Brien" idea...

Posted by: beergorila | January 30, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Owendylan. Ronnie O'Brien is an immense talent on the wing, but he wants to play inside more. Any three of ROB, Guerrero, Fred, and Tino plus Simms could give defenses fits.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 30, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Ronnie O'Brien, while somewhat talented on the wing, is not a full-season player (like Gomez may not be an entire-game player) and is a reported locker room cancer - let him go somewhere else.

Posted by: dcufan | January 30, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Buh-bye.

Posted by: roadkit | January 30, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"Who can they go after? I can't think of one guy in MLS that stands out, except for Schelotto. Roger seem more suited to defender or CDM, plus, at 34 he won't have the legs to go box to box for 90 minutes in the heat."

I don't think Gallardo fit that description either. I can't really put my finger on it, but he was never in the position we needed as our CAM. Maybe because he only played half out games! Nothing personal, but i'll be glad to move in a different direction.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | January 30, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Man, some of you need to let the Appiah stuff go. He ain't coming. Deal with it.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | January 30, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

fire kasper and soehn -- nothing else matters ...

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 30, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Commenters: Non-DP players COUNT AGAINST THE CAP. So you can't sign three or four stars with the "Gallardo money".

This is a real shame. He showed a lot in his brief flashes, and even tried an ill-fated return before he was in game shape. Things didn't panout, but if you say he did not elevate the team, you were not watching.

Please DCU for the love of god, if you do chase a DP, make it a sweeper. Janicki is not the answer, and never will be.

Posted by: Sweetback | January 30, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

The_Dude_Abides1:

DCU's CDM's and Defense - especially when that completely worthless Peralta was in the lineup - lacked the ability to ever furnish Gallardo the ball facing the opponent's goal. They were consistently, maddeningly unable to accomplish this basic task. A gaping hole in your central defense will tend to limit your offensive flow, no matter how much you pay your CAM.

Posted by: Sweetback | January 30, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

So, are ticket prices going back down to pre-DP levels?

Thx,