Gomez to Dallas?

Greetings from St. Louis.

One of Christian Gomez's contacts tells me that Dallas is the front-runner to acquire the former MLS most valuable player from Colorado. "It's not a done deal and other teams are interested," the contact said. But it's clear the Rapids and Coach Gary Smith, who barely utilized Gomez late last season, want to move the Argentine midfielder and his guaranteed contract that will pay him around $400,000 this season.

I am also hearing that MLS shelled out big bucks to secure Akron forward Steve Zakuani, the nation's leading scorer whose stock dropped at the scouting combine. The league was apparently concerned it was going to lose him to an English club (I'm hearing Derby County) and was willing to offer around $150,000 per season. We won't know the exact figure until the league-wide salaries are released early in the season. Because he signed a Generation Adidas contract, Zakuani will not count against a club's salary cap.

By Steve Goff  |  January 14, 2009; 12:49 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU's Status and MLS Notes
Next: The Spirit in St. Louis

Comments

Steve,

Any chance Gomez comes back to DC? Would it make any sense in your opinion if Colorado picked up 50% of his salary? He would be a lovely withdrawn forward to pair with Emilio and would provide cover for Gallardo when he is hurt. Am I crazy?

Posted by: Henchlow | January 14, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

No. Please No.

Posted by: strago | January 14, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Henchlow:

I hope this doesn't sound mean-spirited. You want us to bring a 34 year old, who felt hurt we wanted to be rid of him just 1 year ago, to be the backup for Moreno and Gallardo? At $200K?

Yeah, you're a little crazy.

***

Gomez could actually be a good fit for Dallas. Rocha, Ricchetti, and Van den Bergh are all hard working, intelligent players, which would allow Gomez to basically chill just underneath Cooper and Cunningham. Then again, I thought he'd be a good fit in Colorado (a team that was and is dying for central creativity), but the emphasis on wing play and his apparently worsening fitness levels killed that.

If Hyndman can get him into passable shape, this could be a very good move. It's a high risk/high reward thing at this point. I'm not sure if Dallas wouldn't benefit more by spreading that money out on defensive improvements (Sala, Serioux as a right back, Wagner...not exactly impressive starters).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 14, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I can't see Moreno playing the whole season as a starter. Old man river has got to catch up to him soon enough. I think/hope he is used primarily as a 60th min sub this year.

Moreno and Emilio are not a good pairing, especially with Gallardo. The second forward needs to have pace as well as good distribution skills. Basically a young Jamie. Gomez is not my first choice, but assuming Gallardo and Jamie are both coming back (which I think is a safe assumption), someone needs to be added to the mix.

Maybe the Honduran kid Martinez is the answer, I know nothing about him. If the current forward crop is all that comes back, its gonna be a long season.

Gomez would be a good stop-gap for a year. He still has pace (assuming he is fit) and clearly has good on-field chemistry with Jamie and Emilio. I don't think DC did not want him back. Rather, it did not want to overpay him - which was a good decision. Both Peralta and G. Martinez were paid $200k last year - Gomez would be much more of an impact player than either.

I am not completely advocating bring him back, just throwing it out there. I don't expect Gallardo to make it though the season without missing time. Gomez would be an upgrade at the back-up #10 over Santino or Moreno.

Not trying to dredge up all the "stupid to sign Gallardo and not Gomez" mess from last season. That is not my point, I am trying to look forward from what is on the roster and who are potential players to bring in.

Posted by: Henchlow | January 14, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Zakuani was surely tempted to overseas, considering the strong American tradition at Derby.

Posted by: Modibo | January 14, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Zakuani's English.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | January 14, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh please take him... Anyone.
What a waste he's been in Colorado.

Posted by: hacksaw | January 14, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The difficult thing about playing Moreno as a 60th Minute sub is that we don't have anyone nearly as productive as he is during the first 60 minutes. Over the four year, fans have been saying he's lost it, is too slow, can't last 90 minutes, etc., yet when he doesn't play, we often can't control the tempo or possession, and often lose.

Until we have someone who can step up and contribute the way Moreno does, I want him on the field. Unfortunately, replacing someone like Jaime has proved extremely difficult.

Posted by: TCompton | January 14, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Please, let's stop with the pipedreams. DCU did not trade Christian Gomez away. Go back and read some of Steve Goff's Insider posts. It ended badly here. Gomez was offended he wasn't offered DP money, he was offended about a lot of things, he wanted a couple of years of guaranteed money (I believe it was 3). Payne and Kasper kept saying "here's our deadline" and then they'd extend it. Finally, with the window for international signings running out, they traded Gomez and signed Gallardo.

I loved Gomez when he was here and only wish him the best. But if he had wanted to stay here, he'd still be here. He burned some bridges folks.

Additionally, Gomez would likely be a terrible fit.
1. This team needs more speed. That team up in the Meadowlands showed what you can do with a little speed--they won a match against Houston in Houston mostly because of Dane Richards outrunning the Dynamo's backline. Our team has to be one of the slowest in MLS.
2. Gomez fits very poorly with the existing midfield setup. We would really need to play a 3-5-2 (which we did during his best performances) for him to be most effective. Outside mids like Fred and Guerrero are poor fits with Gomez. Instead you need guys like Kovalenko, Olsen, Gros, Carroll--guys who cover lots of ground, make lots of runs off the ball--what Gansler used to call "piano movers." That's not the team we have right now.
3. We saw what happened last year with no depth. Two DPs means our depth won't be great. NY is actually contemplating not using their second DP and instead keeping the cap space for multiple players. Even if Gomez only counts as say...$200k on the cap, that's still a big chunk of change. That basically means we have to hope that Olsen retires (which I would NEVER hope) or that we take some other big salaried player (Clayton? Fred?) and replace him with a minimum salaried player. And then isn't Gomez' salary guaranteed for 2010 as well? I thought his deal was for 3 years with all 3 guaranteed (and DCU was offering 2 years plus an option and 1 year guaranteed--but my memory could be wrong on that).

I will always honor Christian Gomez for what he gave this team. I still remember the Catolica game on the road or him playing drums in the Meadowlands or the running header in the Eastern Finals against NE. But I honor Marco Etcheverry and remember his performance fondly too--and that doesn't mean I want him back on the team.

Posted by: JoeW1 | January 14, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Free Gomez!

Posted by: Reignking | January 14, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I recall it being primarily contract related, with Gomez wanting a bigger salary and more guaranteed years. I thought he only got a 2-year deal from Colorado, but could be wrong on that one. If he still has 2 years left, nevermind. Also, if there is more antimosity involved then that wouldnt work either.

As far as fitting in with the midfield, I agree except I want to play him up top with Emilio. Only in Gallardo's absence would I pull him back. He is still (again assuming he is in shape) faster with the ball than 90%+ of the attacking players in the league.

Kaspar was willing to pay Tattoo Neil $150k to be a back-up to a year younger and 1 or 2 less surgically repaired Moreno last year.

I love who Gomez was for DC, but I am not trying to relive the past. I am looking at him as a potential asset that could be bought for pennies on the dollar. Colorado was stupid enough to give up a 1st round draft pick and a DP slot for him before, maybe they agree to pay 67% of his salary this time? If he is in form, I have a hard time believing he can't add alot to the team.

Again, if the past issues are too much to get by for either side then its completely a moot point. Other than Gomez and the management, does anyone really know how it actually played out?

Posted by: Henchlow | January 14, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

We sure saw a lot of MLS #1 picks play in Rochester this past summer. I wonder how long before we see Zakauni marching through the USL1. You have to wonder who at MLS-HQ gets to decide how much to pay these as yet undrafted players.

Posted by: DrewROC | January 14, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Henchlow:

I disagree about Moreno's playing time. I think he's got one more year of being a regular starter. He might not start as many games this season (which will depend on who else is available up front), but I think you'll see him out there from the start over 2/3 of the time.

I'm also not sure about your conclusion that he, Emilio, and Gallardo are not a good combination. Once they figured each other out, we were scoring in bunches and other teams weren't getting much of the ball. It seemed like things were working very well. Superliga was a bit of a psychological blow, and was immediately followed by many injuries (including Gallardo's). Once Gallardo started getting closer to them (knowing that neither is particularly fast), things started clicking. I would imagine they all remember that.

I do agree we need to make an addition or two. Doe is very inconsistent, and the more I look back on Khumalo the more I think of Kpene's poor finishing. Martinez, or someone else, will need to come in and be a reliably good threat for goals. I'd also like to see Emilio not have such a sure starting spot. He should be able to maintain it, but it should be because he's doing well, not because there's no choice.

I wouldn't say it's the worst idea, but adding an aging player to a roster that's already too old in attack seems like a big mistake to me. We need someone durable and below 30.

TCompton:

Exactly. Replacing Moreno means changing the core ideas about how this team plays and has played post-Hudson. Our play without Moreno is tepid and rudderless, and an hour of that will leave us losing most games by the time he comes in.

JoeW1:

As is often the case, I agree with just about everything you said. One quibble: I think Guerrero is just the kind of player that fits a 3412 with Gomez (fast, constantly running, does a lot of the dirty work).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 14, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

=================

Chest, do you think Fred played a substantial role in that "clicking" as well? Is there a central role for him this year rather than flank?

Posted by: OWNTF | January 14, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Let's have some respect, please.

References to "Tattoo Niell" on the day we learn of Ricardo Montalban's death?

Something tells me we're not on Fantasy Island any more....

Now then -- where was I? Oh, right. Battlestar Galactica is back, baby!!! Frak yeah!

Posted by: fischy | January 14, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

too bad the numb nuts running DCU saw fit to get rid of gomez and acquire the bunch of losers now on the roster --- the GM and head coach should have been fired -- now we have to endure another losing season

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 15, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse