Greetings From RFK

The weather is balmy, so DCU has changed course and decided to stretch the legs and conduct a light workout on the artifical turf field. As you know, Marcelo Gallardo has been excused for the time being. Jaime Moreno is at the stadium, but not training. Former Los Angeles defender Kyle Veris is on trial. Ivan Guerrero is with Honduras's national team. Rookie defender Lyle Adams is not here and, from what I hear, weighing both MLS and European options. Pat Carroll, Quavas Kirk and Ryan Cordeiro were not included on the preseason roster. Details to come. Domenic Mediate, who missed much of last season with a concussion, is training today.

Back later with much more.....

UPDATE: Ben Olsen is out here, participating in a half-field workout and moving well.

By Steve Goff  |  January 22, 2009; 11:51 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: A Few Minutes With Ben Olsen

Comments

Thanks a lot Goff.

I get all the news from the training ground without freezing my butt off...

Posted by: yankiboy | January 22, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

what can you tell me about Gonzalo Martinez? is he there?

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | January 22, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Come On Benny!!!!

Posted by: kris77 | January 22, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

What about Craig Thompson, the guy who played right midfield? He was decent. Was
he released as he wasn't listed on the roster either?

Posted by: Charisma_Man | January 22, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd also like to know about Martinez and whether or not Thompson is there...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 22, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

What happened to the kid from Sierra Leone (Koromo)?

Posted by: LostinPotomac | January 22, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I really hope we can sign Adams. Any idea as to who his suitors, if any, might be at this time?

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | January 22, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

It's always a good day when a Goff post starts with "Greetings from RFK"!!!

Posted by: Tweaked | January 22, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD:

My understanding is the option on his contract was not picked up.

Posted by: strago | January 22, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Someone in an early thread had mentioned the preseason roster available on BTB.
Here it is-

Posted by: DadRyan | January 22, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and yeah, yeah, yeah Benny!
Sleepless nights, poop-plosions, and having a little life more important than your own around can do wonders for the ailing ankles!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 22, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The only thing better than "Greetings from RFK" would be - "Welcome to Poplar Point"

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | January 22, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer something like "Welcome to Matchday 1 from DC United Stadium at Poplar Point 2011," but that's just me.

Posted by: sitruc | January 22, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Suuuper... Super Ben!
Suuuper... Super Ben!
Suuuper... Super Ben!
Super Benny Olsen!

Posted by: Kev29 | January 22, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Ben is back! And I hear he's up for a Grammy, too.

Did someone say "Adams"?

"I got my first real six string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played it til my fingers bled
It was the summer of '69..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 22, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Jaime,

One report has Adams on trial w/ FK Haegesund (sp?) - a second div team n Norway. Oh well.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | January 22, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"Matchday: United-Philly Greetings from Volkswagen Arena at Poplar Point"

Posted by: SportzNut21 | January 22, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Ivan Guerrero listed as a defender? And I'm a bit surprised that Cordeiro wasn't resigned, but I guess he will get a "trialists" chance to rejoin the team.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 22, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The rosters were slashed 4 spots in the offseason by MLS and I see 4 glaring omissions: Kirk, Carroll, Thompson, and Cordiero. So hopefully they'll get a trial to prove themselves, if not then they'll make great USL players with more money. Not sure whats up with Koroma. Interesting to find out that Veris is from DC...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | January 22, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Adams"?

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 22, 2009 1:19 PM
==================

The Adams that I want at RFK is Sam.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 22, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Carroll and Kirk being absent is no big loss. If either of them made the roster, I was going to be very worried about the upcoming season. Carroll only looked like an MLS-caliber player once (against KC at home, mid-season). The rest of the time, his decision-making (both in terms of picking the right option and the speed with which he came to his decision) was sorely deficient. Kirk, meanwhile, has all the athletic attributes you could want in a player, but doesn't seem to know how to use them and his ability with the ball is not even close to what it should be. He seems like a good kid and is a great personality, but he's essentially no better now than he was when he first entered MLS.

Cordeiro is much more of a surprise. I know Pontius plays the same positions, but I figured Cordeiro would at least be in camp fighting for a developmental spot. He's a feisty player, and is not bad in soccer or athletic terms either. He strikes me as a player that has the drive to make something of himself as a pro. If we're letting him go, he could make another MLS roster or be a quality player on a USL team.

Olsen moving well is the best thing I've heard today. I don't want to get ahead of myself in getting excited about Olsen returning, but it's pretty difficult. There is, after all, only one Benny Olsen.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 22, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I may be speaking out of turn, but I believe none of the players mentioned above have contracts. I'm guessing their absence doesn't mean they're not wanted in camp (except for Gonzalo Martinez). Because DCU has their rights, it's a different situation than a trialist, such as Veris.

If Adams does sign abroad, that probably opens up a spot for a Thompson, Carroll or Miller. It all points to the silliness in cutting rosters to 24. Adams may not even want to play that game, if he can get a guaranteed spot with a European side. If he signs a one or two year deal, and gets time playing (even in reserve games), Adams could come back to DCU in a better bargaining position, and more ready to claim regular playing time. Or, he might go the way of so many others that have not returned...One other possibility, though -- he might be using the European option to leverage more money out of DCU. There's a limit to that, because DCU can't offer him the kind of money their first 2 picks will get.

Posted by: fischy | January 22, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse