Hernandez and the USA, Tracy and .....

San Jose defender Jason Hernandez has been added to the U.S. national team's training camp roster in Carson, Calif., helping to fill the void left by the absence of Clarence Goodson (recovering from injury) and Cory Gibbs (unspecified reasons). Can't say I saw that one coming. Here's his full MLS bio. Another defender is likely to be added tonight.

UPDATE: Colorado's Ugo Ihemelu has also been named to the roster.

Meantime, the Insider has learned that Wake Forest senior forward Marcus Tracy, projected to be one of the top picks in next week's MLS draft, has signed with Proactive Sports Management, which has placed several Americans in Europe over the years. Tracy, I am told, is exploring his options abroad. Fellow seniors Sam Cronin and Michael Lahoud have signed with MLS.

By Steve Goff  |  January 6, 2009; 6:38 PM ET
Categories:  MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freddy Fever
Next: Becks in Dubai With Milan

Comments

Who cares? No big loss. Wouldn't be surprised if he signed abroad. Success is probably not likely. Not to be rude but Marcus Tracy, like half the players in the mls draft (and on wake forest), is just another athlete with little to no technique. When will we start to place technique over physical ability?

Posted by: grubbsbl | January 6, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

So Tracy will be back in MLS in a year or so a la Vadeira and Robbie Rogers and so many other guys who have thought they could cut it over there right out of college.

Posted by: beach3 | January 6, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I was quite sure that Hernandez had appeared for the Puerto Rico national team, which does exist, but apparently he hasn't.

That out of the way, this is very questionable choice by Bradley. Hernandez is a decent player, but there are many MLS players that play similar roles that are clearly better. In no particular order, Namoff, O'Rourke, Moor, a fully fit Lawson Vaughn, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting are all better options. I mean, at this point, Bradley should throw the door open to any C+/B- MLS player. Do you think we can cap-tie Peralta? David Wagner for left back! LA's 57 goalkeepers are all in the area, why not get them in?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 6, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping that Marcus Tracy finds the success in Europe that Charlie Davies found thus far.

Posted by: Fulhus | January 6, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Ara now!

Posted by: B_A_ | January 6, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Grubbsbl:

So half the players in the mls draft (and on wake forest!, no less) are good atheletes without any technical ability?

Can't say I agree with you. Tracy has alot of areas of his game he can improve upon but saying he has little or no technique is a pretty weak critique and it sounds like you haven't seen him play very much the last two years - maybe a college cup game or two. I'd say his chances of success are much greater than his chances of failure.

Who cares? please...

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | January 6, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't Bradley bring in out-of-contract Bryan Namoff? He could talk to the Swedes about Nordic football.

Posted by: b18bolo | January 6, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Ihemelu I thought had decided to play for Canada? I guess he changed his mind.

Posted by: kkfla7371 | January 6, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 6, 2009 7:17 PM
=================
Chris Armas' PR cap was deemed not to count. Something about the match not being sanctioned by FIFA.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 6, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I guess Bradley took my advice with Ihemelu. Great athlete, but not anywhere near smart enough as a defender.

And kkfla7371, you're right. He did say he was going to play for Canada. Maybe Bradley wants to call in all possible defenders that could ever play for another country, now that the only one people were really interested in got away.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 6, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Jason Hernandez was a decent player for Chivas, at times really exceptional. Had a true breakout season with San Jose.

Posted by: LAStory | January 6, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Hernandez must have played for Bradley at Chivas USA and the Metrobulls. Anyway, it's an off-season camp for a friendly against an Ibrahimovic-less Swedish team. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 6, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Bradley must have seen this on a rerun
(go to ~5:45)

Hernandez is around 5% Ronaldinho

Posted by: undrafted | January 6, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

If Tracy's technique isn't what it could be, then European training might be just what he needs.

On other point:

@Chest -- Cap-tie Peralta? Have you lost your mind? Or was that pure snark?

Posted by: fischy | January 7, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 6, 2009 7:17 PM
-------------------------------------------
Chest, Jason never appeared for Puerto Rico. He never accepted a call-up.

I personally approached Jason and attempted to recruit him to play for PR back in 06 while he was playing with the Metros and they came to play United. At that time, he had been approached at least twice before by guys who were former/current PRNT players, one of whom was a fed offical.

This is the reason why.

I knew that they had made a run at him but I took the "representing the supporters" approach (since I have never been offically affilited with the FPF, I'm just a clown who managed to get great access and consideration).

Jason was pleasant and diplomatic but didn't entertain any sort of delusion about the imprtance of the decision. I explained that I understood the situation and what I have now termed "the Armas dilema".

If Jason gets capped for the US then I "win" and will be happy for him.

If he doesn't then my adopted NT will still welcome him with open arms. A few of the supporters werea bit bitter about him turning down last year's WCQ call ups but I reminded them that we all have to follow our own destiny.

The guys of Puerto Rican heritage (or others with connections to the Island) that want to play for my "adopted" homeland, Puerto Rico we welcome. Those that don't, I personally have no hard feelings. I don't like to live in the "coulda/shoulda/woulda". I feel the same way about playing for Puerto Rico like I do the US. I might joke about Rossi not existing or stripping his passport but it is just talk. I wish him no ill will. I just don't bother to think about him.

Jason isn't the first guy to PR down. I could give you a list of several. Heck, last year we got turned down by a USL1 player. And Robles of Kaiserslautten (which was a bit easier to take). All I ask is that the players are clear that they are holding out for "better" and don't yank us around (absolutely no pun intended). Return the freaking call and say, "I'm, not really not ready to commit".

PR survived and will continue to survive. We bring guys into camp that want to play. We used 3 NCAA1 kids and a NCAA3 kid for qualification. I found a USL2 guy and got him a look. We make due with what we have. Like I said, I don't hold hard feelings. I wish Jason the best now like I did at the RFK auxillary field back in the fall of '06.

I hope he gets his US cap. And more. If he doesn't and he want to play for the Island of Enchantment, he knows where to find us.

Posted by: yankiboy | January 7, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

You guys SHOULD care about Marcus Tracy. If we are to follow recent trends of taking players who would rather go to Europe, he will probably be selected in the first round by DC United!

Posted by: DCUMD | January 7, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Mediate is thrilled that Ihemelu is getting a call up.

Ihemelu? Really?

Posted by: CDRHoek | January 7, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl Pretty extreme statement to claim that half the mls draft picks and wake forest players possess little to no technique. No player is perfect, but seriously... You just sound disgruntled.

People sometimes seem critical of the kids that leave and then return. I say, if you have a chance to play overseas why not give it a shot? Even if in the end you have to come back to the states at least you tried.

Best of luck to all the kids leaving to school to play - whether here or overseas.

Posted by: futbolgirl | January 8, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse