Marta to Sol, Alcantara to Chivas USA

*West Coast sources confirmed to the Insider today that Brazilian superstar Marta has finalized a multiyear contract with the Los Angeles Sol of Women's Professional Soccer and will formally announce her intentions Monday at the FIFA awards ceremony in Zurich. Marta, 22, has spent the past four years with Swedish club Umea. She will join the Sol for preseason training around March 1 and make her debut March 29 against the Washington Freedom at Home Depot Center.

*A California-based representative for Reinier Alcantara, the Cuban forward who sought asylum during his national team's stay in Washington in October for a World Cup qualifier, told the Insider that Alcantara has been claimed by Chivas USA as part of the MLS discovery process and will begin workouts with the club in two weeks. San Jose is also interested in Alcantara and might pursue him if he is not signed by Chivas, the rep said.

By Steve Goff  |  January 10, 2009; 8:00 PM ET
Categories:  MLS , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hermann Trophy Winners Are.....
Next: Peralta's Exit

Comments

It will be nice to have the women's league back; Marta will add a lot to it.

71 days to United's first game.

Posted by: Curious99 | January 10, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, in MLS-speak the term "discovery" doesn't mean what it means in ordinary parlance. Presumably this guy came to Chivas' attention at the same time, and in the same way, as he popped up on every other MLS franchise's radar.

Posted by: universityandpark | January 10, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Off topic:

SG, what's up with this?

It says Peralta has signed a 6 month loan deal and has a picture of him wearing the Union jersey in their stadium (though the picture does have an odd "bad Photoshop" quality to it).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 10, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I saw on his wikipedia page that his option was not picked up. I don't know if it is true, but I fixed the spelling ;)

Posted by: StewartDC8 | January 11, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

universityandpark - As I understand you are correct. Any team in MLS could put a "discovery" claim on Cristiano Ronaldo, and in the unlikely event he decided to come to MLS, they would have his rights.

It would just be a waste to do so, obviously.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | January 11, 2009 2:18 AM | Report abuse

on Marta: Umea vs LA? Not much of a choice, especially for a Brazilian. Nothing against Umea, but bring a heavy coat and a UV lamp for those long dark winters...

Posted by: troy6 | January 11, 2009 3:45 AM | Report abuse

Good luck to Alcantara.

Posted by: TheJim1 | January 11, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Chest,

the article about Peralta LOOKS legit. It's got extensive quotes from him and the pic of the blond Gonzalo brother in a Union jersey in what I assume is their home stadium.

The article says it's a 6-month loan. Maybe it's a temporary MLS loan thing a la Fred, Beckham, and Donovan but I suspect that we've seen the last of Peralta. (since we haven't agreed to extend his contract yet).

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 11, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Given the Rolaldo example, I got curious, thinking why not 'discover' every active non-US professional player in the world.

So I looked at the MLS discovery rules and found that it's six a year and the discovery rights expire following each season...and have to be exercised by September 26th of each year (assuming 2008's rules carry on to 2009).

I knew even MLS couldn't be as dumb as my initial thought assumed.

Posted by: seahawkdad | January 11, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Anyone watching the Man U and Chelsea game? I know this is OT but I find it hard to believe that Ji Sung Park can play for Man U and no Americans can play for a big team....there are 10 Americans as good as him! Granted its probably a marketing ploy to have him, but isn't our market at least close being big enough to warranting a token player on a team?

Posted by: Brian76 | January 11, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

A 6-month loan would overlap with the MLS season and suggests (to me) that it's the prelude to permanent move. Gonzalo P and wife have a newborn, right? Maybe they want to be closer to family. I guess we won't see his jersey hanging at El Patio. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any jersey hanging at El Patio.

Potbelly or El Patio: decisions, decisions :-).

MLS uses "discovery" just like we claim, to our friends, that we discovered a new restaurant or pub.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 11, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I discovered a couple of Ethiopian joints and a coffee shop on Columbia Pike earlier today, but I didn't actually go in and order anything...

Posted by: DadRyan | January 11, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Does that still count?

Posted by: DadRyan | January 11, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan,

Sure.

Off-topic: I've discovered Ana Ivanovic.

Posted by: B_A_ | January 11, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan,
When you say "Ethiopian joints," do you mean... never mind. It's better not to ask

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 11, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update on Alcantara. Because of the Galindo connection it seems like most recent Cuban defectors get a some consideration if not at least a look from the Goats...

Posted by: yankiboy | January 12, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Marta is an absolutely sick player but sometimes she flops for calls a bit more than I would like. She whines a lot to the refs. I look forward to heckiling her and hopefully meeting her when she comes to play the Freedom.

Posted by: yankiboy | January 12, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | January 11, 2009 3:24 PM
_________________________________________

Was this an Amsterdam-style coffee shop, perchance?

Posted by: universityandpark | January 12, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yankiboy | January 12, 2009 10:08 AM
===============

Don't worry. LA traffic is so congested, the Ferrari will never go fast enough to to be totaled. Oh. Marta, you say?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 12, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse