Martinez to Spain?

No, not Gonzalo. We're talking about Walter, who provided us with that smashing goal on the Insider earlier this afternoon. According to Honduran media, D.C. United's pursuit of the forward is over. He is apparently headed from Honduran club Marathon to Alaves in the Spanish second division on loan with an option to buy. Before you burst into tears, it should be noted that United officials are still awaiting official word about Martinez's status. One of my reliable Central American contacts believes it might be a trial. Perhaps an update later.....

By Steve Goff  |  January 27, 2009; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cuban to Seattle
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

Sin embargo no ha hecho oficial!!!!!!

No contract, no cry . . . yet

Posted by: delantero | January 27, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to think that the money and competition in MLS would actually be better than 2nd Division Soccer in Spain.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 27, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecw81 | January 27, 2009 4:22 PM
-----------------------------

I'd be inclined to agree from a competitiveness standpoint, although I confessed my ignorance of La Liga (and La Liga 2, I suppose) about 48 hours ago on this very blog. I'd wager, however, that the money is roughly equivalent, and might even be more favorable in the transfer fee department.

Martinez MIGHT be interested in pursuing his career in a Spanish-speaking country. Also, its not just American 20-somethings who want to chase that European dream...

Posted by: MattinSW | January 27, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

DCU should have sealed the deal earlier when they had the chance. Hopefully Payne & Co. have a back-up plan

Posted by: niknakdcu | January 27, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The difference between the top of La Liga and the 2nd Division in Spain is vast in every form imaginable.

Posted by: alecw81 | January 27, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Alaves, on and off the field, has had problems...their owner, Dmitry Piterman, owned the USL-1 team California Victory, which lasted a year.

Great food in Vitoria, though.

Posted by: Reignking | January 27, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I still dont see why DC Doesnt go after Bolivian Striker Juan Carlos Arce. He is back in bolivia after his brief loan to Korea.

He is young at 23, plays similar to Moreno, and would i am sure be fairly similarly priced to Martinez, in that bolivian players by many are considered bargains.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 27, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

=(

Posted by: redskinsux | January 27, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

The money in second div. spain also let me add is comparable to Mexico, better for the most part than south america. Well at least if you are good. Dep. Cucuta lost their Panamanian star to Hercules of Spain for 800k a year salary.

Juan Manuel Pena, ex bolivian international Central Def. perferred to find a contract with Celta De Vigo of spain than take the offer Jaime Moreno had set up for him in DC, as it was stated the money wasnt right. Right Goff?

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 27, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

niknakdcu:

When did they have the chance? The talks between DC and Marathon only began a few days ago.

***

I'm guessing Alaves will offer a wage at least 3 times higher than what DC was going to offer (which, totally guessing, was probably between $100K-$125K).

It's also worth noting that Alaves was somewhat recently in the first division, and was part of one of the more entertaining games I've ever seen (2001 UEFA Cup final, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_UEFA_Cup_Final). I would imagine the club still holds some hope in returning to the top flight. Then again, they finished just 2 spots above the relegation zone last year and are only 1 spot above it currently.

Anyway, if Martinez succeeds there, he could be sure of interest from one of the poorer Primera clubs or one of the Segunda teams that gets promoted. He will be seen by more top flight teams than he would be in MLS, certainly. I can see why he would choose to go to Spain.

As for our end, this would suck. There's no guarantee that Martinez would come here and do well, but it seems more likely that he would do fairly well than not. He's pushing for a starting role on one of CONCACAF's best teams, and he can fill in for both Moreno and Gallardo (both of whom will need quality backups this year, not to mention that neither is likely to be back in 2010). I hope DC can still make something happen here, because Martinez is precisely the kind of player we should be pursuing.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | January 27, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

DCU has been negotiating with Marathon for several weeks. All their offers (loan with an option to buy) have been rejected. Kasper said last week that the fee had become an issue. They've been trying very hard. If the Spanish club really wants him -- and we don't know for sure that it does -- I can't see how DCU could compete financially.

Posted by: Steve Goff | January 27, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Remember, negotiating with Marathon isn't a sprint. It's a...

Oh, nevermind.

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 27, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Goff, thanks for the clarification about the negotiations. Sounds like we should look to plan B. And only . . .

54 days to United's first game!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 27, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I am all about the MLS and seeing the league develop. That said, if I was Martinez then I would go LaLiga 2 over MLS. There really would be little question about it for me.The money is better. The football culture is better. You are better able to get spotted by a big club. Culturally is is more comfortable. I am guessing the quality on avg is probably roughly the same with the top clubs probably being better then clubs in the MLS. It sucks for us, but sounds good for Martinez. Hell. I am jealous. If I was ten years younger and actually had some football skills I would love to live in Spain and play professionally.

Posted by: nyjer1 | January 27, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

BolivianDCfan: is your comment for real? A 23 year old Moreno-like Bolivian? And he's available? Bring him on. Juan Carlos Arce, even the name sounds right for DCU. Mr Goff, any knowledge?

Posted by: oz4dcu | January 27, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Seems as though Alaves were in negotiations since December. He left national team camp today, and leaves for Spain tomorrow.

Posted by: nico78 | January 27, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oz4dcu | January 27, 2009 7:09 PM

_____________________________________________

We bolivian DC United Fans have been talking about this kid for a year and some change, since the last copa america.

He can pass, shoot, he is very creative with his ball skills, he can pass, and he is very quick.

But i guess the FO hasnt gotten the message nor have their people tried to look in bolivia or at our national team for talent which can fit DC.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | January 27, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Check this out:
Mexicans turn to voodoo to help team beat the US
They are getting scared and desperate!!!
Did anyone get tickets today?

Posted by: silverrey | January 27, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

niknakdcu:

hopefully that backup plan you referenced goes better than our backup plan for Veron did.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | January 27, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Oye!! Chispas . .

Yeah, watched about 30 seconds of that first link sent by Bolivian DC fan and responded . . YES.

Sign him, NOW.

I can see him and Kooooomalo malo working people over with aplomb.

Posted by: delantero | January 27, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

My mom just called me to see if I wanted to buy any furniture .... U may be asking why this dumba.s is writing this.... Well it's because it is Gallardos furniture , he is here packing and selling everything ! He is gone. I'm not sure about all the details but I'm sure goff will find out very very soon!! This is just to give you guys a heads up on the situation!!!there is something about River though!!!!

Posted by: ThE-BaRRa-BrAvA-KiD | January 27, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

This Martinez news is exactly the type of thing I was afraid of after the earlier post today.

Posted by: sitruc | January 27, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Boycott Radio Shack!

Posted by: DadRyan | January 27, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barra Brava Kid -- how do I get me some o that Gallardo furniture? Tell him I might be interested in coming down to check it out tomorrow afternoon...

Posted by: fischy | January 27, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Furniture sounds good to me. Maybe he should give it away to the Barra as retribution for his non-impact to this team.

Also, what is your source?

Posted by: redskinsux | January 27, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't buy any of that furniture. Sure it'll start off looking all pretty but in about 1/2 a year it'll start to completely fall apart.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 27, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- it's now official that Red Bull Arena will not open in 2009. So, I'm cool with RFK as the site for the Costa Rica match in October....

Posted by: fischy | January 27, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

On goal.com & SI.com

Estudiantes de La Plata boss, Leonardo Astrada, affirmed that his team are keen on securing the services of DC United playmaker Marcelo Gallardo, to confront the Copa Libertadores and the Argentine Clausura Championship in 2009.

"We are working on the possibility to sign Marcelo (Gallardo), who was moved closer (towards Estudiantes) by his agent. But he has some physical problems, after an injury, and we will have to see in how long he will be able to play again," admitted Astrada.

According to reports Gallardo is keen on a return to Argentine football, and although he won't be returning to former club River Plate, it was said that he would be prepared to join Estudiantes.

Astrada believes that "if Gallardo is well, he can be vital" and he can be a "fundamental" player for the 2008 Copa Sudamericana finalists this year.

He added: (Estudiantes) need a footballer capable of replacing (Juan Sebastian) Veron."

Veron, the recently named South American Footballer of the Year for 2008, could well leave Estudiantes for DC United at the end of the season. But Estudiantes' intention is to retain the player, and to allow him to play alongside Gallardo as the side search for an international title.

Posted by: redskinsux | January 27, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

A- having an off season to think about it after my first full season following MLS, and soccer in general, I'm thinking United has chosen me (one of you guys once said you don't pick a club, a club picks you) to be a fan, so I feel like I can start commenting on things like this.

B- Martinez gone, so be it.

C- Gallardo, for now, keep him, until a real option comes available.

D- BRING ME ARCE. NOW.

E- Make sure he doesn't bring the checkered patterned penalty boxes with him.

F- Do I have you guys' permission to join as a fan?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 27, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

@redskinsux -- he already said his source: his mom. How much better does it get than that?

Posted by: fischy | January 27, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

""But Estudiantes' intention is to retain the player (VERON), and to allow him to play alongside Gallardo as the side search for an international title.""

Oh yeah?!? They can both smell some elderberries, silly Argentine connigots.

United doesn't need either of the old, slow, haven't won a title in years Veron and Gallardo.

Posted by: delantero | January 27, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Holy Crap! Arce is amazing!

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | January 28, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

JacobfromAtlanta-ish:

No permission needed; only participation.

Posted by: Curious99 | January 28, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

53 days to the first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | January 28, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

(one of you guys once said you don't pick a club, a club picks you)
Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | January 27, 2009 11:25 PM
==================

It was Nick Hornby in Fever Pitch.

Welcome.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 28, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

BolivianDCFan,

Have you considered that Juan Carlos Arce may not be interested in playing in the US or with DC United. Living so far from home certainly did not help Jaime Moreno to see a lot of time with the Bolivian National Team.

Also, what does the fact that he's been loaned out several time (to Portuguesa, Corinthians, and Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma) tell us about the situation? Perhaps Oriente Petrolero considers him an investment doesn't want to sell him outright or perhaps he's not the best teammate.

Either way, I doubt it's as easy as simply going to Bolivia and having Oriente Petrolero hand him over.

But if he's a good fit for United and wants to play for us, that would be great.

Posted by: TCompton | January 28, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Walter Martinez to arrive shortly in Spain...he could play against Salamanca this weekend.

Posted by: Reignking | January 28, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse