MLS Notes

*Defender Pat Carroll, the youngest member of the soccer-playing siblings from Springfield, Va., has lined up workouts with the USL1's Charleston Battery, according to his agent. He was not invited back to D.C. United because of the MLS roster reductions. Eldest brother Brian is secure in Columbus's starting lineup and middle bro Jeff, who missed most of last DCU season because of injury, is searching for a USL club.

*Revs Coach Steve Nicol and assistant Paul Mariner are currently on a scouting mission in Ghana. Meantime, New England draft picks Andrei Gotsmanov (Creighton) and Tyrel Lacey (Tulsa) will remain in school and not join the club for trials until May. The club has also offered a workout to undrafted keeper Zack Simmons (U-Mass.).

*Seattle acquired central defender Patrick Ianni from Houston for a 2010 draft pick -- a second-rounder if he appears in 20 or more league games, a third-rounder otherwise. Ianni, 23, made 10 starts last year.

By Steve Goff  |  January 26, 2009; 1:55 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: Boswell Returns to Dynamo

Comments

Did somebody say "Simmons"?!

Hey Kenobi, wasn't that you in the audience?

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 26, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I know it might just be rumours, but Leo Astrada, Estudiantes de La Plata head coach, said via Ole that a board member had offered him to bring in Gallardo. He did say the idea is still very green.

Posted by: HammerXeneise | January 26, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Argentine media is reporting that current DCU midfielder Gallardo has been offered to Estudiantes, where he would join former DCU target Veron. Have you heard about this here in DC, Goff?

Posted by: dfd6060 | January 26, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

the dynamo also resigned bobby boswell to a 4 year deal

Posted by: tex0313 | January 26, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Go Gallardo Go

Posted by: jjfooty | January 26, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Kenobi, wasn't that you in the audience?

Posted by: joedoc1 | January 26, 2009 2:06 PM

-------------------------------------

Yeah, but I was only there to heckle.

Posted by: Kenobi | January 26, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't we have gotten in on the Ianni deal? I'd have offered a 2nd rounder straight up at least.

Posted by: Brian76 | January 26, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Agree with Brian. The way our draft picks have been letting us down the past few years, I would be more than happy to trade a 2nd rounder for Patrick Ianni. Legitimate depth at central defense and a national team hopeful.

Posted by: DCUMD | January 26, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me like Seattle is trying to pull off a Chicago Fire 1998 type year. This team is slowly (and somewhat secretly) building a very formidable side.

Posted by: Kosh2 | January 26, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why it's a secret when several pundits have already stated that Seattle will be the most successful expansion team ever. Unlike you, they seem to have forgotten about Chicago.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Eh, Chicago only won one trophy that year, right?

Posted by: Reignking | January 26, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Opps, DCU is finally out of Carroll's. I always thought that Jeff was the best but couldn't stay healthy to prove it. Brian is very vanilla but does his job and is employed after 6 years in the league.

Posted by: euroman | January 26, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

NE is starting an African Revolution, the Gambians, Dube and now some Ghanaians will hopefully be joining. I guess Lacey has missed the boat because Simmons will be a success with his trial and give the team some recognition out in Amherst, and we will see huge bus loads of ZooMass kids taking over the fort to cheer him on when he takes over #1 spot from Reis!

Posted by: pimpdaddy2000 | January 26, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Reign King. My memory can only recall the US Open Cup. There was no MLS Cup held that year due to ummm... the Clinton impeachment.

"NE is starting an African Revolution,"

Great! More Che shirts in the crowd :-(

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | January 26, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

55 days . . . . .

Posted by: Curious99 | January 26, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

55 days . . . . .

Posted by: Curious99
------------

and 499 to South Africa!

and it's about time someone is on a scouting mission in Ghana, I just wish it was DCU. I lived there from 97 to 99 and saw some of the best football I've ever seen, for about a dollar a match. those guys are big, strong, fast, and amazingly skilled. those scouts should stop by Cote d'Ivoire as well, as long as they are in the neighborhood. and Nigeria. or just set up a permanent base to scout all of west africa. not that I am hinting for a job or anything...

Posted by: troy6 | January 27, 2009 3:39 AM | Report abuse